UGGGHH, MLA

Hi everyone, I'm going to ask a stupid question about MLA format. Please bear with me. I'm looking over my writing sample and polishing it up content-wise, but I noticed that a lot of my in-text citations just look...wrong. I'm dealing with a short story by Beauvoir but also quoting The Second Sex. So my citations all look like this:

(Beauvoir, The Second Sex 120)

(Beauvoir, "The Age of Discretion" 83)

(Beauvoir, The Second Sex 392)

(Beauvoir, "The Age of Discretion" 94)

on and on, ad nauseam

Doesn't that look ridiculous?! I thought that was the correct way to cite multiple works by the same author but now I'm doubting myself. I'm freaking out about enough app stuff right now that I don't need MLA in-text citation fucking with me too!

I think when you're dealing with multiple works by one author, you don't actually need to list the last name if it's already clarified within the paragraph. So, some of your citations could just have a blurb phrase or signal term like ("Age of Discretion" 45) to signal which Bouvoir you'd be citing from. I am working with 4 or 5 essays from an author in addition to his novel, and for some of the essays, I cite them by signal phrases that show which text I'm citing.

Edited by TripWillis

I think when you're dealing with multiple works by one author, you don't actually need to list the last name if it's already clarified within the paragraph. So, some of your citations could just have a blurb phrase or signal term like ("Age of Discretion" 45) to signal which Bouvoir you'd be citing from. I am working with 4 or 5 essays from an author in addition to his novel, and for some of the essays, I cite them by signal phrases that show which text I'm citing.

Is this so? I was under the impression that unless the author's name is explicitly mentioned in the SENTENCE, you have to put the name, even if the author has been mentioned earlier in the paragraph. E.g.,

Beauvoir says that "blah blah blah" (The Second Sex 15).

vs.

"Blah blah blah" (Beauvoir, The Second Sex 15).

Edited by cquin

You're right, cquin. If the sentence provides an attribution, you don't need the last name in the citation, but if that is not the case, you should use the last name, particularly if you're worried about the need to disambiguate.

Off topic question: what is another phrase for "not need"? Example: It allows for the child to recognize that he or she is a seperate entity, but does not allow for the child to not need their mother for guidance and influence. Please help. I'm having a mildly retarded moment.

Off topic question: what is another phrase for "not need"? Example: It allows for the child to recognize that he or she is a seperate entity, but does not allow for the child to not need their mother for guidance and influence. Please help. I'm having a mildly retarded moment.

"rebuke the necessity of" ???