Losing hope

sa316

I am currently a junior at a competitive private university majoring in Human Physiology and minoring in Public Health. I basically screwed up my first two years and have a ~2.5 GPA. Yes, I know it's terrible. However, I am bringing it up so I will have an upward trend by the time I graduate. Realistically, when I graduate I'm thinking I'll have a cumulative GPA of 2.8-3.0 with my last two years hopefully being 3.3+.

I have a lot of research experience. I'm currently working at a Biophysics/Physiology lab and I presented my research at a symposium not too long ago. I also have experience doing summer research work in a Pulmonary lab and hoping to get an internship of some sort this summer.

Now, assuming I do well on my GREs (I can be a pretty good test-taker if I study), what are my chances at MA/PhD programs? I'm interested in Neuroscience, Molecular Biology, and Immunology. Should I get an MA first and then apply to PhD? And if so, what MA programs could I get into? I've been reading a lot about the combined MA/PhD programs so I was interested in that but I'm not sure if my chances have been shot to hell.

Even if you did well on your GREs, your GPA is still very low for the types of programs you're interested in. A lot of these programs have an average accepted GPA of 3.5-3.7 and a good portion won't accept students below a 3.0. I would start looking into schools and seeing what their specific admission requirements are.

Your GPA is quite low for PhD programs. Keep trying to raise your grades and then apply to some MA programs. Prove that you can do very well in a MA program to show PhD programs you can be successful in grad school. Also, though you do have poor grades many schools like to see an upward trend. It's better than your bad grades are freshman/sophomore year and not junior/senior year.

I have a friend who graduated with a GPA of 2.8 out of 4.0 from Saudi Arabia. He is now doing PhD in the University of New South Wales in Australia.

I have also met friends with a GPA lower than 3 who got into USC.

Schools like UC Berkeley in their graduate application website ask you for your GPA of the last two years, so if it is high, your lower GPA will be overlooked.

some bad advice in this thread. if you've done research you'll be competitive at the very least, provided you are able to talk about the research that you've done and that you'd like to do, and it fits well with the person you're applying to.

When it comes to admissions, it all depends on the applicant. ....I wouldn't let your GPA keep you from applying to any program you want. The upward trend in your GPA is a plus and I'm sure you have a lot to bring to the table, too. Just keep truckin' along!

What's the matter what you chances are? The graduate admission is a lottery. Even a stellar application won't guarantee you an admission, and the bad one won't necessarily be detrimental (and I would say you have something in between despite your GPA). You can never be sure before you get the results, so what's the matter guessing - Just keep truckin' along!

Edited by ringo-ring