Geology 2009

solefolia

Hi Y'all,

I'll share what information I have re geology admissions. I know it's nice to know what else is going on. I have been invited to three depts.: Wyoming, Rice and Brown. I still have an app out to University of RI, that is currently in limbo. Rice and Brown have extended official offers. I declined Wyoming offer to visit, as the project was in a direction I decided not to pursue.

Best of Luck to all of you and keep sharing!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Just got back from the Prospective Student Weekend at Austin - holy crap is the Jackson School of Geosciences a HUGE geology department. Also got an invite to Stanford's "GRAD" weekend (Graduate Recruiting and Diversity) on March 8-9, but I'm sticking with my later visit so I can meet the students who work with my potential advisor.

Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley yet?

Skinkididoo,

Do you think I should just give up the Stanford torch if I haven't heard from them yet? When did you get this invite?

In other news: I'm so tired of all of this waiting.

Do you think I should just give up the Stanford torch if I haven't heard from them yet? When did you get this invite?

I don't think you should give up... it said something in the email about visiting your potential department/adviser being more important, so it's possible you could still be invited to visit by a particular professor even after the "GRAD" weekend.

Got a rejection email from a professor at Brown. In addition, I haven't heard anything from BU and they made their selections two weeks ago (with one posting on the results page). I think that I'm going to get shut out this year. On the positive side, my advisor at my current school (I'm currently a master's student) has (continually) expressed her desire for me to stay where I am and do a PhD with her.

Hey everyone...I've been following the posts for the last couple weeks and thought it was time to chime in! I'm visiting two schools next week, but I'm really waiting on Berkeley's decision. Have the others who've applied been in touch with any professors from the school?

I got a telephone interview from a professor in Northwestern about two weeks ago. It's my first interview and I think I screwed it up...although the professor didn't indicate whether I would be admitted or not. He said I should expect to hear from them in mid-March.

The professor from UC-riverside informed me that I got admitted with financial aids, but I haven't received the formal offer letter yet.

Has anybody heard from Penn State yet?

As anyone heard anything else from U Colorado at Boulder, U Wyoming, U Oregon, U Maine, or Southern Illinois U ?

I have a feeling I'm probably somewhere in the middle for all of these (hopefully?) but I am driving myself crazy thinking of the possibilities......

Did anyone else hear even apply to any of these places?

above poster: I was invited to visit wyoming in very late january, if you haven't heard anything from them yet, you still got a shot, but probably closer to April 15, when the bulk of offers get responded to. That most likely the case for the other universities . . .but anything is possible.

Hey fellow geo folk,

I applied to paleontology PhD programs all over the place and have only heard back from the University of Chicago.

I visited there Feb 19-20, was told I'd be getting a good letter, got an email from the Chair on the 25th, saying I was accepted with a fellowship, and postal on the 26th, detailing the TAships.

I have not heard anything back from: University of Michigan, UC Berkeley, Columbia, Cincinnatti, and Indiana U. I'll certainly post my results when I get them.

So I got invited to visit Stanford. My potential advisor is deciding between me and three other people and can take one to two students. The problem is that I will be gone on Spring Break with my family March 7-15 and she will be gone March 15-26. They are supposed to send out their final decisions on March 20...not really sure where that leaves me since I won't really get a chance to visit until after that "deadline." I could totally fly out tomorrow and come back Friday before I leave on Saturday...the flights are only $300...Hopefully she emails me back and lets me know if that's OK by tonight!

So, looks like I am leaving for Stanford tomorrow and coming back on Friday! It's crazy and last minute, but I really want to give myself the best chance of being admitted that I can. I'm so excited!

hey, good luck mebosket! i guess i'm in the same boat of uncertainty since I'm not visiting until March 31st, but the prof told me it was best to visit then...

hopefully Berkeley starts making some decisions soon, because I wouldn't be able to visit there until April...

Thanks for the well-wishing!

Yeah, I'm sure I would've been fine waiting until April 1-3 to visit as I was going to originally, but I'm too impatient to wait that long to find out if I got in or not! :D She said that the head of grad admissions told them the deadline is March 20 for final decisions, but you know how that goes.

Hopefully we'll both get in!

Anyone hear back from Penn State yet? I sent out an email last month and was told that it'd be a "few weeks" before they sent out anything, so I'm thinking any day now (or at least I hope so... April 15th isn't *that* far off). It's the last school I'm waiting to hear back from.

Hey, was wondering whether anyone received news from MIT or Berkeley?

There were two posts claiming that EAPS (MIT) has sent unsolicited e-mails to them on the 12th and 17th or March, informing them that they have been waitlisted. Has anyone got accepted/ rejected?

So, I just turned down my offer at Washington State University. Man, that is a hard thing to do.

Unless I hear from Stanford or get off of the wait list at UOregon/Oregon State, I will probably be headed to Madison in the fall. I decided to turn down WSU because the research there and at UW-Madison is very similar and UW-Madison is a more prestigious school. Also, I am in touch with a UW-Madison professor and I am super excited about a project I would work on if I go there!

Congratulations, mebosket! You've got two acceptances. You may have more coming too.

Berkeley (e-mail on 5th March):

"Our first round of admission letters will go out by March 15th. Those candidates will have until April 15th to respond to our offer of admission. On April 15th, depending on how many people have accepted our offer, we might decide to send out additional letters offering admission. On that date we will also email everyone we are no longer considering for admission to let them know they were not admitted. Therefore, you will either hear from us by March 15th or April 15th."

I called PSU just now and was informed that my application was denied :(

I called after I saw this post (same day) assuming I had been rejected and was told I was still under consideration and that they'd send out all notification last week. Still haven't received anything yet and while I'm not really expecting great news, it's still driving me crazy. I have all my other results in, so I just want to hear back from them so I know where I'm headed (I hope I didn't come across as too impatient when I spoke to the dept administrator, I just assumed I was rejected and wanted confirmation). April 15th is coming up fast and I don't like the thought that if I do get in, I have two weeks to make a decision and likely won't have the opportunity to visit.