SSHRC

psyched

FYI

I emailed SSHRC this morning to find out when the universities would have access to the list:

"Hi,

The universities will probably receive the results list next Monday or Tuesday.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Bigras

Program Assistant | Adjointe aux programmes

Fellowships and Institutional Grants Division | Division des bourses et des subventions institutionnelles

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada

Conseil de recherches en sciences humaines du Canada

350 Albert Street | 350, rue Albert, Ottawa, ON K1P 6G4

E | C : Suzanne.Bigras@sshrc.ca

T : 613.943.7777 F | T : 613.943.1329

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca"

On a separate note, can we use SSHRC/OGS funding for non-academic expenses? Since I'm probably going to live with family, I'm giving considerable thought to laser eye surgery...

You can use it for whatever you want. They don't ask for receipts or anything like that.

Thanks... That gives me some hope, at least. I just hope that the universities will be willing to tell us how we did prior to receiving the actual letters. The university didn't tell us anything about OGS here until a good week after the results were accessible online.

I need to hear about SSHRC NOW! I appreciate that it must be stressful for all of you frequently checking your mail to find only PizzaPizza coupons. I am in a much worse situation. I am in Europe with infrequent internet access for the next 6 weeks. I planned to begin this trip at the end of April, because I was supposed to know about SSHRC and grad school by now. Unfortunately, however, I have accepted a grad school offer but have no idea whether I can actually pay for that school when I get there. To make things worse, I get up and check my email for absolutely no reason, because when it's 9am here, it's the middle of the night in Canada! That's how you know you're in trouble, when you start looking for news just incase something was sent in the middle of the night........

Here is the latest...

Hi, the results will be mailed out late next week but you can call your university on Monday or Tuesday to find out the results.

Thanks.

Gis

Late next week? Why do I have a feeling it is going to be continually pushed back, and next week they'll still be saying "sometime next week"? Sigh. Oh well. I'll be checking with my university on Monday and Tuesday for sure. Thanks for the news.

For those of us who've applied independently then, it's even worse! I have to wait for the hard letter in mid-may. I called sshrc today again, and they told me letters should be received in about two weeks. :evil:

Are you planning on going to a Canadian school? I applied independently and fully intend to start harassing grad studies at my future school as soon as I know for sure they have the list. This may not work if they only send info to grad studies about those who applied through the school, but it seems somewhat unlikely that they would do that when they could just send the same list of successful candidates to every school.

and so begins another weekend.....

btw, did anyone else notice that the email I posted on the previous page was from Suzanne Bigras, and dood's email was from Gisele Bigras? (I know this is completely meaningless, just trying to kill time and my super-sleuth skills have nothing better to focus on)

Okay. I am guessing that a few of you may have already seen this, but I just got this from my grad chair.

Circulated to all Graduate Coordinators and Graduate Program Administrators

Good Afternoon,

SSHRC has contacted all universities with the following statement:

I am writing to inform you of short delays in announcing the results of SSHRC

And when this one was sent? I talked to the School of Grad Studies today afternoon and they told me they have absolutely no news from SSHRC if there is any delay. What is this inconsistency?! Why the fellowship officers working at SSHRC then provide to everybody different answer?

This email was forwarded to me and the date-stamp says that it was sent to the graduate coordinators at my school at 4:52pm. I don't see any info on when the awards administrator got the message (and sent it out), but I think that it was forwarded without delay. We have a huge scholarships competition that cannot release results until SSHRC results are out, so grad studies is pretty obsessed with keeping everyone up-to-date on news.

Since I am in Alberta, I am guessing that anyone east of me will get news tomorrow. Time difference means that everyone at the eastern universities had probably already gone home by the time that this email was sent. Now, the only question remains is why SSHRC would tell people by email today that the doctoral results will be out on Monday or Tuesday and then send out a mass message to grad programmes saying May 11th.

This email was forwarded to me and the date-stamp says that it was sent to the graduate coordinators at my school at 4:52pm. I don't see any info on when the awards administrator got the message (and sent it out), but I think that it was forwarded without delay. We have a huge scholarships competition that cannot release results until SSHRC results are out, so grad studies is pretty obsessed with keeping everyone up-to-date on news.

Since I am in Alberta, I am guessing that anyone east of me will get news tomorrow. Time difference means that everyone at the eastern universities had probably already gone home by the time that this email was sent. Now, the only question remains is why SSHRC would tell people by email today that the doctoral results will be out on Monday or Tuesday and then send out a mass message to grad programmes saying May 11th.

Yeah, I talked to SGS at 5pm (NL time), so they will not do anything with this note till Monday. But I am too wondering about that inconsistency you pointed out in your last paragraph. Anyways, good luck!

According to our grad external awards officer, today SSHRC indicated that they hope to release results to schools the week of May 11th, with candidates being notified shortly thereafter (she emailed me this unwelcome tidbit at 2:00 p.m. local (Ottawa) time).

This is an email I received from the grad secretary in my department on March 13...

Subject: NSERC and SSHRC grants announcements late

Grant announcements will be later than usual. NSERC and SSHRC are using a

new system of review and would like to validate their results carefully

before announcing them. They ask for your patience and understanding. They

are simply being more cautious in this first year of their new system.

Please share this within in your faculties.

This is a long shot but I wonder if this new system of "validating their results carefully" has anything to do with the grades for the winter term? perhaps they are waiting for the grades of all the applicants to be available before they "validate" the results?

This is a long shot but I wonder if this new system of "validating their results carefully" has anything to do with the grades for the winter term? perhaps they are waiting for the grades of all the applicants to be available before they "validate" the results?

No.

I (and no one I know) didn't send them a copy of my winter 2009 transcripts, tell my university to send them a copy, or give them permission to request a copy of my transcripts. SSHRC has absolutely no way of knowing our winter 2009 grades.

No.

I (and no one I know) didn't send them a copy of my winter 2009 transcripts, tell my university to send them a copy, or give them permission to request a copy of my transcripts. SSHRC has absolutely no way of knowing our winter 2009 grades.

Guys, as far as I know this new system is for grants for professors. They were supposed to be released in March but they were sent emails in March and the announcement was made by NSERC that they will inform profs in April 17 (3 weeks later) which exactly happened. Validating results have nothing to do with transcripts. I have my undergrad degree from overseas. Since my school does not provide an English transcript, I had to take it to a professional translator and verify it at Ministry of Education and Foreign Affairs. Do you think that they would try to reach all these institutions and how do you think they would communicate with them. In my school, these ladies issuing transcript barely speak any foreign language.

Guys, as far as I know this new system is for grants for professors. They were supposed to be released in March but they were sent emails in March and the announcement was made by NSERC that they will inform profs in April 17 (3 weeks later) which exactly happened. Validating results have nothing to do with transcripts. I have my undergrad degree from overseas. Since my school does not provide an English transcript, I had to take it to a professional translator and verify it at Ministry of Education and Foreign Affairs. Do you think that they would try to reach all these institutions and how do you think they would communicate with them. In my school, these ladies issuing transcript barely speak any foreign language.

More importantly, as thepoorstockinger pointed out, SSHRC couldn't just request transcripts without us giving explicit permission for them to do so.