SSHRC

psyched

So anyone think it'll happen tomorrow????

My spidey-sense says Friday or even next Monday. But earlier would be better. Mind you, right now I still don't know. This feeling may be preferable to knowing that I don't have an award and have to schlep my way through the application process again.

Ah, but since unsuccessful Vanier nominees automatically get a CGS, their results will have an impact on the rest of the doctoral pool.

Granted, but I'm not a doctoral applicant... so why should I be waiting on those results? In my view, it just doesn't make sense to withhold the results of the Masters competition (provided they are indeed available). Argh, my impatience is turning into annoyance - what the hell is taking them so long? I wonder if us applicants would have been granted an extension because of workload and computer problems... :roll:

OK, that's enough complaining for now.

On a side note - and I'm sure someone has asked this before - why are OGS and SSHRC results released after April 15th? If more time is needed to review applications, why not bump up the application deadline to an earlier date? The system is set up in such a way that we have to decide which school we would like to attend without knowing if we can actually afford it. I find this whole process so baffling!

And the waiting continues...

On a side note - and I'm sure someone has asked this before - why are OGS and SSHRC results released after April 15th? If more time is needed to review applications, why not bump up the application deadline to an earlier date? The system is set up in such a way that we have to decide which school we would like to attend without knowing if we can actually afford it. I find this whole process so baffling!

Yes, I asked this a few pages back. My decision-making was even more stressful given that I didn't have the full details on my financial situation. Anyone?

Yes, I asked this a few pages back. My decision-making was even more stressful given that I didn't have the full details on my financial situation. Anyone?

I agree. I would have much rather the application deadline be much earlier if it meant we would know by know if we were receiving funding.

re: application deadlines--at my department, both SSHRC and OGS are due mid-September, which is, I think, ridiculously early...

My application wasn't due until December 10th :) Guess I lucked out then... hahah

Wow - when they say "end of April" they sure mean "end of April"........aka the last day of April? dang......I'd like to think it's because we are all just so amazing it's impossible for them to come to a decision in a reasonable amount of time................................................right?

I think the delay this year has everything to do with the new Vanier awards. They obviously wanted to have this big pomp and circumstance event in Ottawa announcing the recipients (see Vanier thread) on April 30. As far as I understand it, those students who are nominated for a Vanier and don't receive one are going to get a CGS. If they released the results for CGS/regular SSHRC before April 30, then those students nominated for a Vanier who didn't end up getting a CGS would know they won the Vanier, taking some of that surprise away. I could be wrong, but this is how I've put all the pieces together over the last few days.....

In any event, this is good news for the rest of us as a collective. The existence of the Vanier means that top applicants will get that, and we can only assume that they would've won a CGS/regular SSHRC otherwise. Thus, there's a little more "wiggle room" for those of us in the regular competition this year. I'm not sure how many Vaniers will be awarded, so I could be entirely off-base with this. Also, I could end up putting my foot in my mouth in a few days when I don't get SSHRC even with this extra wiggle room.... :lol:

I think the delay this year has everything to do with the new Vanier awards. They obviously wanted to have this big pomp and circumstance event in Ottawa announcing the recipients (see Vanier thread) on April 30. As far as I understand it, those students who are nominated for a Vanier and don't receive one are going to get a CGS. If they released the results for CGS/regular SSHRC before April 30, then those students nominated for a Vanier who didn't end up getting a CGS would know they won the Vanier, taking some of that surprise away. I could be wrong, but this is how I've put all the pieces together over the last few days.....

In any event, this is good news for the rest of us as a collective. The existence of the Vanier means that top applicants will get that, and we can only assume that they would've won a CGS/regular SSHRC otherwise. Thus, there's a little more "wiggle room" for those of us in the regular competition this year. I'm not sure how many Vaniers will be awarded, so I could be entirely off-base with this. Also, I could end up putting my foot in my mouth in a few days when I don't get SSHRC even with this extra wiggle room.... :lol:

Who says they won't reduce the number of CGS they give out?

Who says they won't reduce the number of CGS they give out?

It's possible, but someone posted the total number of awards this year a few pages back, and it was the same as last year. The info came from the SSHRC website. Since Vanier has a different website, I assumed that their numbers were considered separately. I could be wrong, of course.

By the way, the Vanier website said there will be 55 winners from each of the granting agencies (SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR).

It's possible, but someone posted the total number of awards this year a few pages back, and it was the same as last year. The info came from the SSHRC website. Since Vanier has a different website, I assumed that their numbers were considered separately. I could be wrong, of course.

By the way, the Vanier website said there will be 55 winners from each of the granting agencies (SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR).

Yeah, and wasn't Vanier a separate application process? You had to get nominated or something?

Any news from NL??

Awww.. well that's great news then. Thanks for pointing this out to me, I had missed the previous post.

A little more waiting for you all.. I received this email this morning (Tuesday April 28th):

>>

>>Good morning,

>>The results should be mailed out by mid next week only and no results are given on the phone or by email. Sorry.

>>Thanks.

>>Gis

A little more waiting for you all.. I received this email this morning (Tuesday April 28th):

>>

>>Good morning,

>>The results should be mailed out by mid next week only and no results are given on the phone or by email. Sorry.

>>Thanks.

>>Gis

The results should be mailed out by mid next week only

This just completely ruined my day. I was hoping that I would at least hear of my results by my Birthday (May 8th). They are almost a whole month behind. That is a little ridiculous.

I just joined up after searching for information on the SSHRC results and finding this thread. I can't believe the results have been delayed this much. Now I am freaking out because I am going out of town for two weeks on May 8th and it sounds like I'll miss getting my letter.

What I am wondering now is what happens to people who stated on the application form that they wanted to commence funding in May 2009, as I did. According to the guidelines on the website, you have to tell them a month in advance for payment to come on time. Oops, sounds like it is too late for that. Meanwhile, I have rent and bills to play. I'm lucky enough to have a small research assistantship this summer, but not everyone does, at least in my department.

To the poster above:

I would contact SSHRC and explain your situation. This is totally, utterly, f*cking ridiculous.

And for everyone else, I received a slightly different ETA concerning the Masters CGS results:

"The results are late this year and will be mailed at the end of next week. The Universities Graduate Studies office will also be informed before you receive your letter.

Lucie R. McKenzie

Program Assistant | Adjointe de programmes

Fellowships and Institutional Grants Division | Division des bourses et subventions institutitionnelles

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada

Conseil de recherches en sciences humaines du Canada

350 Albert Street | 350, rue Albert, Ottawa, ON K1P 6G4

E | C : Lucie.McKenzie@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca

T :

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca"

I e-mailed SSHRC and stated my concern (about wanting to commence funding in the summer 2009 semester) and received this reply:

Hi,

The results will be mailed probably sometime next week.

Sincerely,

Suzanne Bigras

Program Assistant | Adjointe aux programmes

Fellowships and Institutional Grants Division | Division des bourses et des subventions institutionnelles

Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada

Okay, now, seriously: results will be mailed probably next week?