SSHRC

psyched

You're lucky. Sometimes having a partner in academia only makes it worse. This time last year we were anxiously awaiting scholarship results for him. Our faculty of grad studies waits for SSHRC results before announcing their internal competition results (he's an international student and ineligible for SSHRC), so SSHRC results became ridiculously important in our lives (considering neither of us had applied). This year, we are waiting anxiously for my results and he keeps making fun of me for my haunting of different SSHRC forums and threads. When I tell him that he would have done the same thing last year if there were any forums on the internal scholarship, he reminds me that stalking SSHRC info would have amounted to the same thing... and he didn't bother with that. So, just because I am just slightly more obsessed in a similar situation, he feels that he has the right to feel morally superior. Boo.

On another note, I am wondering how long everyone here has been waiting since being informed that they were A-listed. Because I am obsessed, I checked my inbox and realized that I have been waiting on these results since January 13th. No wonder I am going crazy.

You're right, boo to him. I figure we have a right to feel anxious: it's a guaranteed pay cheque and it's a tangible sign of recognition for hard work. I have made a lot of sacrifices to get here, and it would feel really good to get an 'atta boy' for that.

Hi guys.

I am new to this forum as I am also impatiently awaiting SSHRC results. Since I am in NL, I know among the first that they haven't come in the mail:(

I just want to ask you. What do you mean by saying that your application made it on the A-list? Sorry for my ignorance but I have not received any information of such kind.

Thanks,

Sylvia

Hi guys.

I am new to this forum as I am also impatiently awaiting SSHRC results. Since I am in NL, I know among the first that they haven't come in the mail:(

I just want to ask you. What do you mean by saying that your application made it on the A-list? Sorry for my ignorance but I have not received any information of such kind.

Thanks,

Sylvia

The process for SSHRC awards is that they are first ranked by your department. After they are ranked by your department they are ranked by your Graduate department in either the A-list or B-list. If you are on the A-list your application is forwarded for recommendation for an award. The graduate department usually notifies you if you made the A-list. Hope that helps, best of luck!

The process for SSHRC awards is that they are first ranked by your department. After they are ranked by your department they are ranked by your Graduate department in either the A-list or B-list. If you are on the A-list your application is forwarded for recommendation for an award. The graduate department usually notifies you if you made the A-list. Hope that helps, best of luck!

Thanks for the explanation but my university does not do anything like that. Is this a standard procedure at all Canadian universities? At our university (Memorial) they just select applicants and notify them that they application will be sent to SSHRC competition. That's it.

Thanks for the explanation but my university does not do anything like that. Is this a standard procedure at all Canadian universities? At our university (Memorial) they just select applicants and notify them that they application will be sent to SSHRC competition. That's it.

Exactly. You get sent to SSHRC = A-list

You don't get sent = B-list

Thanks for the clarification. That's a relief - sort of:)

BTW, sincere congratulations on so many acceptance places. WOW!

Thanks! I`m VERY happy with how things turned out for me with applications. It was mostly luck, and the good fortune to have some truly dedicated advisors to walk me through the process and write great letters...

Good luck to you with SSHRC. The odds are in your favor!

Every time I refresh this page and see no new posts, I go a little crazier. Save my sanity, SSHRC!

Seriously! I feel the same way... Surely someone here has a good relationship with their grad studies coordinator to find out whether these blasted results are out, at least to the schools themselves, at least that way I know I can harass someone.. LOL

Every time I refresh this page and see no new posts, I go a little crazier. Save my sanity, SSHRC!

I just came on to plea for my sanity as well, I have a huge paper overdue and I can't focus on it - I'm OBSESSED with figuring out my odds for SSHRC, how can they torture us this way?! It is inhumane, seriously... I'm in the grad lounge about to scream!!!!

Seriously! I feel the same way... Surely someone here has a good relationship with their grad studies coordinator to find out whether these blasted results are out, at least to the schools themselves, at least that way I know I can harass someone.. LOL

Has anyone heard anything???

Has anyone heard anything???

The grad secretary at my undergrad department said that SSHRC is having computer problems which are delaying the announcement of awards. Who knows how accurate this is.

I would like to suggest that from now on, whenever someone from this message board contacts SSHRC to ask for an update they introduce themselves as "a representative from The Grad Cafe" just to confuse and infuriate the people answering the phone.

Ok, I am absolutely freaking out about SSHRC - Earlier in this forum people were talking about success rates. I'm absolutely baffled at what our odds are. Looking at past statistics, York University (the school I am attending) has about 100% success rate for its forwarded applications, I am aware that U of T does as well and these two universities have the highest quotas forwarded grad applications. I understand some schools have application quotas as low as 5 or 10. However, based on SSHRCs website, it seems that the success rate is 50% which is questionable for me because either that means other universities do quite poorly, or that SSHRC gets approximately 1,300 independent applications. I am so confused~ Does anyone have information on success rates of A-list applications???? It would totally suck if I was the only loser to not get SSHRC having been recommended by my department!

Ok, I am absolutely freaking out about SSHRC - Earlier in this forum people were talking about success rates. I'm absolutely baffled at what our odds are. Looking at past statistics, York University (the school I am attending) has about 100% success rate for its forwarded applications, I am aware that U of T does as well and these two universities have the highest quotas forwarded grad applications. I understand some schools have application quotas as low as 5 or 10. However, based on SSHRCs website, it seems that the success rate is 50% which is questionable for me because either that means other universities do quite poorly, or that SSHRC gets approximately 1,300 independent applications. I am so confused~ Does anyone have information on success rates of A-list applications???? It would totally suck if I was the only loser to not get SSHRC having been recommended by my department!

Are you applying for master's or doctoral level SSHRC?

Has anyone else tried to call SSHRC recently? It lets me listen to the messages re: doc fellowships, and after hitting '0' to speak with someone (which is an option after listening to their long spiel), I get automatically disconnected.

I called them, they said the results will be mailed out last week of August, Early May - and because of their 'proactive' disclosure I DOUBT the results will be posted online before you get your letter (see last years CGS results for masters/doctoral students was posted in August).

Computer problems? How convenient. They just announced the post-doc results so how come those weren't affected by their technological "problems"? jeez.

In SSHRC's defence, post-doc letters were mailed on March 25th. Post-docs have known about their results for a while.