SSHRC

psyched

I've been following this thread, but haven't posted (I applied independently - doctoral level - and I had a score of 24 in the first round). I'm posting now because I just called SSHRC and they told me that letters will be sent at the end of April. So still a long wait...

Thanks for letting us know. I almost called SSHRC today, but instead I contacted my school of graduate studies. No results there yet.

Does anyone know why SSHRC doesn't release results before April 15? Is it just that they can't get their act together in time, or is there some conscious effort on their part for SSHRC fellowships not to enter into the decision-making process for those of us selecting between schools? I can't really think of a reason for this (except perhaps losing Canadian students to US institutions). Any ideas?

I asked (harassed?) my department's graduate secretary yesterday afternoon and she suggested that she was expecting results to be announced around April 17th. Where she got this information, I'm not sure. She could have some kind of inside knowledge, or she could be running on instinct or last year's stats.

I asked (harassed?) my department's graduate secretary yesterday afternoon and she suggested that she was expecting results to be announced around April 17th. Where she got this information, I'm not sure. She could have some kind of inside knowledge, or she could be running on instinct or last year's stats.

... or it could be because that's when the OGS letters are mailed, and she's assuming that it's around the same date for SSHRC. (OGS, by the way, is supposed to be updating their website with results on Saturday, according to my dept secretary.)

I wonder how the new massive cuts that the govt has made in the budget of "public science" will affect next year's applicants (see today's paper).

I sure hope I get the grant this year.

Speaking of the budget, what happened with the uproar concerning "business-related degrees"? Was there any change on that front, or has everyone already moved on?

Speaking of the budget, what happened with the uproar concerning "business-related degrees"? Was there any change on that front, or has everyone already moved on?

As could have been expected, nothing really happened. This is a double blow to SSHRC. (Although, to be fair, the conservative govt did announce massive investment in scientific infrastructure. This, however, mostly means updating research labs, and does not include any financing for researchers themselves. If we're lucky, we might get new pc labs equipped with the brand new version of SPSS :roll: )

Nothing has been sent out yet... I emailed the administration at SSHRC yesterday to change my address. They contacted me this morning saying that nothing has been sent out yet and that they will update my file.

Could be a while yet.... :x

Cuts have already affected NSERC and CIHR funding. My husband is a PhD candidate in Natural Sciences at a university with a very well-respected medical school and only one of their post-docs received any funding this year - and she has 27 publications. For some reason, Harper decided to slash at science and engineering before attacking the social sciences and humanities.

Maybe he decided to do what SSHRC funded academics want and narrow the gap between arts and sciences funding... but chose to do so by slashing the hell out of the sciences. :roll: I guess we'll have to wait and see the spreadsheet to find out if overall success rates dipped this year. I think this year's funding should be ok, which makes me really want to nail down funding this time.

I heard something about SSHRC reinterpreting the business degree focus with a rather broader mandate, which I took to mean that they wouldn;t use the new blingers exclusively for business degrees (eg. see: http://www.mcmaster.ca/ors/sources/sshr ... intro2.htm )

Can anyone tell me what an OGS is? Did I miss something?

poli-phil,

Sorry to hear about OGS, but being A-listed for SSHRC gives you great chances of getting it!

Did your school email you about the results? I just checked the OGS website and mine are not posted.

Yes, the graduate co-oridinator from my faculty emailed me this morning. I am assuming that OGS notified schools today. I am close friends with my graduate coordinator, so I think I found out a bit before most people, I anticipate the 'official' notification tomorrow. I find it very bizarre that I did not receive the OGS but I (apparently) have a very good chance of getting the SSHRC. Does anyone know if SSHRC knows about the results of OGS and if this can effect the results of SSHRC?

Also, I had a friend who claims that he would have received a SSHRC but did not because he accepted an offer of admission from a school other than the one he specified in his SSHRC application... can anyone verify that this is how it works?

I find it very bizarre that I did not receive the OGS but I (apparently) have a very good chance of getting the SSHRC. Does anyone know if SSHRC knows about the results of OGS and if this can effect the results of SSHRC?

Almost 100% sure that this isn't the case. I know people who were awarded both and had to choose between the two (most choose SSHRC, of course). That's why there's a reversion list for OGS, in case someone turns it down to get the SSHRC (or decides not to go to grad school at all, I suppose)

Also, I had a friend who claims that he would have received a SSHRC but did not because he accepted an offer of admission from a school other than the one he specified in his SSHRC application... can anyone verify that this is how it works?

Definitely not.