SSHRC

psyched

It was my convoluted way of saying that I think my proposal sucks because I did not know when I wrote it the direction my research would have taken which I have arrived at 6 months after applying.

My understanding is that you can get a SSHRC for the second year of your MA - someone I know applied this fall while they're in the first year of a two year program. I could be wrong on this, though.

I get what you're saying about your research changing: I wrote one proposal for SSHRC/OGS and a totally different one for my MA applications since in those two months I had decided to change topics (and actually went from a Canadian topic to an American one). The SSHRC application is as much about your ability to write research proposals as it is about the actual content of your research.

I get what you're saying about your research changing: I wrote one proposal for SSHRC/OGS and a totally different one for my MA applications since in those two months I had decided to change topics (and actually went from a Canadian topic to an American one). The SSHRC application is as much about your ability to write research proposals as it is about the actual content of your research.

Realistically, it's difficult for an undergraduate to have a clear idea of where their research will take them. I think you're bang on with the point above; these applications really test your ability to "sell yourself", so to speak, when applying for funding. When I wrote my SSHRS/OGS applications for the MA, I not only addressed the research I was interested in, but I also made sure that research was one of the "hot topics" in the discipline. I really think that improved my overall application and I've already secured an OGS... now let's hope I have the same luck with SSHRC!

And for the record, I followed the advice of my professors, so I assume this is a somewhat common practice (at the MA level, of course).

My understanding is that you can get a SSHRC for the second year of your MA - someone I know applied this fall while they're in the first year of a two year program. I could be wrong on this, though.

You absolutely can. That's what's paying my rent right now. Virdisun, don't feel bad about flubbing a grant application or two early in the game. You're competing against people who have much more research experience and who probably have a flubbed application or two in their own past that they've learned from. I know that my first SSHRC proposal was absolute garbage--it didn't even get out of my department--but my second was successful. Just channel the disappointment into motivation for your work.

Here's to the end of the weekend, and mail service resuming! I think I was also too optimistic with my pool choice, though.

I think we were all too optimistic! I am starting to think it won't be next week at all..

Oh don't say that...while I think you are most probably right, the idea of reaching next weekend's stretch of no-mail-days with no word is depressing. Plus, this week is their last chance to send letters in 'mid-april', like they promised, using a generous interpretation of 'mid' of course. I'm not sure that jasper.milvain can win the pool, since the letters would have had to have been sent already and I think there might be more rumblings if they had, but the rest of us can still dream for another day or so...

It was my understanding from the application process that successful mid-program applicants can begin receiving their scholarship in either May or September, and the choice is the applicant's. This would imply that there has to be enough turn around time between notification, acceptance and the transfer of payment to the host university to make the May choice available.

I'm just so sick with worry every time I think of it. I suspect that we will begin hearing this week. This means that this will be either a very exciting or terribly dissapointing week for all of us. I don't want to imagine that I'll win so that the dissapointment won't feel so shattering; at the same time, I don't even want to think of what it will feel like not to win. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My ability to travel for research will hinge on this award. gah!

I'm just so sick with worry every time I think of it. I suspect that we will begin hearing this week. This means that this will be either a very exciting or terribly dissapointing week for all of us. I don't want to imagine that I'll win so that the dissapointment won't feel so shattering; at the same time, I don't even want to think of what it will feel like not to win. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. My ability to travel for research will hinge on this award. gah!

I know the feeling. For me it's definitely all about trying very hard not to get my hopes up too high. I didn't expect anything when I sent off my application, but then I got a 29.4/30 on the letter they sent in February (to ppl who didn't apply through their universities) so now i feel like I am waiting on good news, in spite of knowing that the first round score means nothing other than that my hopes may crash down harder. way way harder.

This would imply that there has to be enough turn around time between notification, acceptance and the transfer of payment to the host university to make the May choice available.

You would think so, wouldn't you? But no. I had a friend win a CGS Doctoral last year, and she didn't get her notice of award in time to start right away. They just gave her a double paycheck at the end of May.

I hate to tell you guys this...but I called SSHRC late last week and they said that the results of the doctoral competition would not be mailed out until the end of April or early May. I'm really disappointed and had hoped the results would be available mid-April (now). We might have a bit of a wait ahead of us!

I hate to tell you guys this...but I called SSHRC late last week and they said that the results of the doctoral competition would not be mailed out until the end of April or early May. I'm really disappointed and had hoped the results would be available mid-April (now). We might have a bit of a wait ahead of us!

Oh well. I guess I just have to accept that I'm going to turn into a basket case. Sheesh!

That is what my grad studies office said as well. Grrrrr!

You absolutely can. That's what's paying my rent right now. Virdisun, don't feel bad about flubbing a grant application or two early in the game. You're competing against people who have much more research experience and who probably have a flubbed application or two in their own past that they've learned from. I know that my first SSHRC proposal was absolute garbage--it didn't even get out of my department--but my second was successful. Just channel the disappointment into motivation for your work.

Here's to the end of the weekend, and mail service resuming! I think I was also too optimistic with my pool choice, though.

Thanks, I never thought of that. I checked on OGS and it said that they absolutely do not fund you if you are going beyond the length of your program (i.e. my program is 2 years, I can't get funding for a 3rd year when I was supposed to have finished). Perhaps SSHRC assess your status in the program differently. I understand that the goal is to sell yourself, but for instance in my application, I don't think I was 'selling myself' when I was quoting irrelevant theories to support my claim because I was unfamiliar with the topic... blah.

That is what my grad studies office said as well. Grrrrr!

I wonder if they tell us this stuff just to make us go away. Last year's PhD letters were dated April 25th; I see no reason as to why it would be different this year. Our grad studies office is offering a "how to prepare for Sept 2009 SSHRC/NSERC apps" on May 5th; I suspect that this means that we will know by then.

If that is the case for the doctoral competition when can the Master's competition expect their results? :x

But the results do get released to the individual grad studies offices at each university first before they get mailed out. So maybe it'll be sooner...... I can hope at least!

Just to confirm, you cannot simultaneously hold both an OGS and a SSHRC (Masters), can you?

I'm 99.9% sure that it's not possible to hold two major awards simultaneously, but the OGS notice of acceptance makes no explicit mention of that rule. The only stipulation on the award form is that I list all other awards received for the 2009/2010 period.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to state that receipt of an award greater than $10,000 during the 2009/2010 academic period makes you ineligible for an OGS? Just seems like common sense to me...

Just to confirm, you cannot simultaneously hold both an OGS and a SSHRC (Masters), can you?

I'm 99.9% sure that it's not possible to hold two major awards simultaneously, but the OGS notice of acceptance makes no explicit mention of that rule. The only stipulation on the award form is that I list all other awards received for the 2009/2010 period.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to state that receipt of an award greater than $10,000 during the 2009/2010 academic period makes you ineligible for an OGS? Just seems like common sense to me...

From: http://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/Not_Secure/Pl ... Conditions

"You cannot hold a scholarship from SSHRC, NSERC, or the CIHR, or an Ontario Graduate Scholarship in Science and Technology (OGSST) at the same time as an OGS."

On my letter it states: "You may hold other awards that, together, have a maximum value of $10,000 per year." So no SSHRC.

Alright, thanks for the confirmation! I wonder why they don't include that sentence in the OGS notice of acceptance...

It is included on the online notice of acceptance:

Conditions of the scholarship

If you receive an OGS award, you must comply with the following conditions:

* You must be enrolled as full-time student in an approved graduate program for the tenure of the award. If you withdraw, transfer to part-time status, or fail to complete a term, you will be required to repay the award.

* You may hold one OGS award for either two or three consecutive terms.

* You cannot hold an award for only one term

* You cannot be enrolled in a qualifying or "make -up" year or be on a paid educational leave or sabbatical.

* You may, though only with your university's approval, change to another discipline or to another approved program during the tenure of the award.

* You may hold other awards that, together, have a maximum value of $10,000 per year. You may also accept research assistantships, part-time teaching positions, or other employment that does not affect your status as a full-time graduate student. The total time you spend on duties pertaining to employment must not exceed an average of ten hours per week.

* You must notify your institution and the ministry if you change your mailing address.