SSHRC

psyched

I think this year's funding should be ok, which makes me really want to nail down funding this time.

This is precisely how I feel. I am terrified of the fall-out for next year and I do not want to be competing then.

Nothing has been sent out yet... I emailed the administration at SSHRC yesterday to change my address. They contacted me this morning saying that nothing has been sent out yet and that they will update my file.

Could be a while yet.... :x

That's crazy! I can't believe stuff still isn't in the mail. With Canada Post being as slow as it is we might not even find out next week. I really wonder if this late notification is the fallout from budget uncertainty (i.e. they have stuff ranked but have no idea how much money they're allocating to certain programs at the moment). I've heard that faculty applying for SSHRC grants at my school still haven't heard their results yet for the coming year so lots of people are sitting around still unsure if they can make trips to archives that they had planned.

OGS has been sent out today. I was just notified by my school that I did not get it!! I was blown away. But I was sent out on the 'A' list for SSHRC so I hope I get that!

Any ideas when we might hear about SSHRC?

Did you online status get updated? Mine still says that it will be changed on the 14th. (folks on livejournal are saying that it will be updated on Saturday).

[

Did you online status get updated? Mine still says that it will be changed on the 14th. (folks on livejournal are saying that it will be updated on Saturday).

No, my online status still says it will be updated on the 14th of April. Maybe they operate on a different calendar, but for us Gregorian calendar folks, it was the 14th a few days ago.

If you could fill me in on how to check my "online status," I'd be grateful. I couldn't figure out how to find it on the SSHRC website.

If you could fill me in on how to check my "online status," I'd be grateful. I couldn't figure out how to find it on the SSHRC website.

I think they are talking about the OGS (whatever that is) since SSHRC doesn't have an online status checker...they only like Canada Post.

Congrats to all the the OGS recipients..

I have a question regarding CGS scholarships.. Does anybody else find it bizarre that you cannot technically get a CGS once you are past your first year as a PhD student? I mean this whole thing about having to have less than 17 months (in your program) is just really weird.. How many people actually have enough presentations, pubs, etc to be forwarded by their school's grad committee to make it to SSHRC in their first year? It's just odd, and where on Earth did they come up with the 17 month figure? It's very different with NSERC where you can get a CGS pretty much as long as you have a year left in your program.

Sigh..

Congrats to all the the OGS recipients..

I have a question regarding CGS scholarships.. Does anybody else find it bizarre that you cannot technically get a CGS once you are past your first year as a PhD student? I mean this whole thing about having to have less than 17 months (in your program) is just really weird.. How many people actually have enough presentations, pubs, etc to be forwarded by their school's grad committee to make it to SSHRC in their first year? It's just odd, and where on Earth did they come up with the 17 month figure? It's very different with NSERC where you can get a CGS pretty much as long as you have a year left in your program.

Sigh..

I understand that you're probably pointing to a larger problem, but in your specific case (it says you're in psychology), couldn't you "sell" your research as more on the science side of psychology and apply to NSERC after your shot at a CGS runs out with SSHRC? Psych is one of the few disciplines where you could sell it to either SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR, depending on which would be most willing to fund and how you frame your question.

Wish I could sell it as something else and be able to apply for NSERC.. I just don't get why the regulations are so different.. Just doesn't make sense.. I mean, with the new 100 business CGS awards due to wonderful budget, all they are doing is giving the 100 1st year applicants CGS awards, whereas there might be legit (albeit business applicants) in their 2nd year who might have better applications.. very twisted.. i just think the way SSHRC works is beyond anyone's comprehension!

I just found out that I'm on the reversion list on OGS, does anyone know 1. When I would find out if I recieve an award, 2. What are the chances of recieving an award if put on the list, 3. How long is the list, or 4. If an award is given in December, would I get the full amount if I am graduating the upcoming summer (meaning I would only be in my program for 8 months rather than 12). Also, if you don't recieve OGS, how does that affect your chances for SSHRC???

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks,

Sundeep

I just found out that I'm on the reversion list on OGS, does anyone know 1. When I would find out if I recieve an award, 2. What are the chances of recieving an award if put on the list, 3. How long is the list, or 4. If an award is given in December, would I get the full amount if I am graduating the upcoming summer (meaning I would only be in my program for 8 months rather than 12). Also, if you don't recieve OGS, how does that affect your chances for SSHRC???

Any information is appreciated!

Thanks,

Sundeep

Reversion list as in waiting list? A lot of OGS holders decline because they won an award from one of the three councils, so your chances are good for an OGS. I will be declining my OGS.

Reversion list as in waiting list? A lot of OGS holders decline because they won an award from one of the three councils, so your chances are good for an OGS. I will be declining my OGS.

Yeah, you will probably be ok for OGS because almost all of the people who do get other awards end up declining it.. EC86, have you heard back from SSHRC already or was it another agency that you had applied to? Congrats to both by the way

Yeah, you will probably be ok for OGS because almost all of the people who do get other awards end up declining it.. EC86, have you heard back from SSHRC already or was it another agency that you had applied to? Congrats to both by the way

Hi canadiangirl78, I applied to the NSERC council. I lurk in the SSHRC thread because I'm bored. :lol:

Hi canadiangirl78, I applied to the NSERC council. I lurk in the SSHRC thread because I'm bored. :lol:

Congrats to you guys for your awards and for bumping us 'reversion-listers' up... I'm hoping to fare better with SSHRC. It's funny cause you don't know what the hell you how much depth your research entails when you write these proposals, and when you figure it out you've already been 'listed' and are ineligible to apply for the following year. Boo :(