Syracuse Teaching Statement?

Is anyone struggling with the Syracuse Teaching Statement? As a freshly graduated undergraduate, I am having a hard time with this statement. I was a TA for one class, and that's the extent of my teaching experience. Is anyone else in my boat?

Thoughts?

A TA for a class? That sounds like just the kind of experience they're looking for, which I think is especially impressive considering you only have a BA. Going about it from the angle rawera suggests is a great idea, I think. Are you familiar with Gregory Semenza's "Graduate Study for the 21st Century"? Somewhere in there, it includes a chapter on teaching, which includes a sample statement of teaching philosophy, which could give you a sense of the kind of tone they might expect of you.

And it goes without saying, I would really avoid typos. I'm sure you'll be fine!

I had to write a teaching SOP for one of my schools as well: Some quesitons to consider: What did you learn during your time as a TA? Can you describe your teaching methodology? What do you hope for yourself as a future teacher?

You can also google search "teaching philosophy" and a lot of examples will come up - that might give you some ideas. Good luck.

Another approach is to think about what methods have proven effective by your own professors; translate that into the kind of "pedagogy you hope to accomplish." This is also a good spot to talk about diversity in that each student learns differently, different cultural experiences provide a variety of valuable in-class responses, everyone in the room has the capacity to be "a teacher" etc. The Semenza chapter is good and provides a good example of a teaching philosophy, but you probably won't need to go to the level that he suggests (he talks about being able to discuss current conversations in pedagogical theory for job interviews and whatnot). If you don't have much direct experience, approach it with a degree of humility ("I look forward to further developing my own effective strategies from faculty as well as students") rather than an overly confident tone ("This is how it will be in the classroom").

Edited by truckbasket

On that note, I'm also struggling with UNL's requirement for a teaching statement. I had zero experience teaching as an undergrad, but during my year off, I've been working as a substitute teacher for English classes at all grade levels (literally, all grade levels; one day I had kindergarten, the next, 12th grade). But is this the sort of teaching experience they're looking for? 12th grade English classes bear some similarities to Freshmen Comp classes, certainly, but I wonder how I should phrase it in my statement.

Thoughts, anyone? :unsure:

On that note, I'm also struggling with UNL's requirement for a teaching statement. I had zero experience teaching as an undergrad, but during my year off, I've been working as a substitute teacher for English classes at all grade levels (literally, all grade levels; one day I had kindergarten, the next, 12th grade). But is this the sort of teaching experience they're looking for? 12th grade English classes bear some similarities to Freshmen Comp classes, certainly, but I wonder how I should phrase it in my statement.

Thoughts, anyone? :unsure:

Who knows what they're really looking for in these things! But as you'll be teaching undergrad, it might be wise not to place too much emphasis on the details of this experience. Perhaps talk about it more as an opportunity to try out the various pedagogical methods that you found helpful when you were a student. In doing so, you were able to learn x, y, and z about teaching and classroom efficiency. So I'd mention it, but use it as a way to foreground experience that might be more beneficial to UGs: "Teaching English at a variety of high school levels taught me the value of classroom adaptability, and the necessity of anticipating various different styles of learning. As a TA in program x I hope to bring this same kind of flexibility, recognizing that student needs vary greatly etc."

Who knows what they're really looking for in these things! But as you'll be teaching undergrad, it might be wise not to place too much emphasis on the details of this experience. Perhaps talk about it more as an opportunity to try out the various pedagogical methods that you found helpful when you were a student. In doing so, you were able to learn x, y, and z about teaching and classroom efficiency. So I'd mention it, but use it as a way to foreground experience that might be more beneficial to UGs: "Teaching English at a variety of high school levels taught me the value of classroom adaptability, and the necessity of anticipating various different styles of learning. As a TA in program x I hope to bring this same kind of flexibility, recognizing that student needs vary greatly etc."

Thank you for this, it's acting as a nice springboard! I'm only on app #4 but already I want to cut the bullshit and write "PLEEEASE JUST ACCEPT ME INTO YOUR PROGRAM!!!"

Thank you for this, it's acting as a nice springboard! I'm only on app #4 but already I want to cut the bullshit and write "PLEEEASE JUST ACCEPT ME INTO YOUR PROGRAM!!!"

Hhahaha. This! I've done 7 now, and I'm very much at that point. I figure maybe they'll appreciate the frank nature of that approach?

Hhahaha. This! I've done 7 now, and I'm very much at that point. I figure maybe they'll appreciate the frank nature of that approach?

Precisely. It will showcase our earnest ardor for their program, if nothing else.