SAIS Analytical Essay

ssr84

Hi All,

I am applying to SAIS MA for 2012 and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the analytical essay. The application instructions state:

Supplemental/Analytical Essay: Discuss an issue of national or international importance and its concern to you.

This essay should be no more than 600 words.

Beyond elaborating on the issue's importance, are applicants expected to propose a possible solution for the issue, or a policy recommendation? I suppose I am getting caught up on the title "Analytical Essay," as I am unclear on whether or not the essay should be more about the applicants personal policy/IR interests, or rather an analysis of an issue.

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing this now as well. I asked a friend who is there now, and the answer I got was to write analytically about an issue, and then relate it briefly back to why it's important (to you, or in general). But the emphasis would be discussion of the issue. I think a recommendation here is fitting, but it seems like the topic can be broader and less technical than a strict "policy memo" like the ones asked for by WWS/HKS.

I agree that this topic is frustrating and really unclear. However, the title "Analytical Essay" makes me think they want something just that -- analytical -- for this one and the personal should be largely left to the personal statement.

What do others think?

I just submitted my application yesterday. Mine was kind of like a policy memo but not quite as formal. I did propose some specific courses of action though. I also briefly mentioned why the issue was of concern to me but didn't try to turn it into personal statement part 2. The prompt is a bit vague, which they perhaps did on purpose to get some variety.

Mine is similar to understatement700's. I relate the topic to me in about five or so sentences, but mostly focus on the issue and course of action. SAIS Bologna has posted an example, which can found here: http://saisbolognaadmissions.blogspot.com/2011/11/analytical-essay.html.

Mine is similar to understatement700's. I relate the topic to me in about five or so sentences, but mostly focus on the issue and course of action. SAIS Bologna has posted an example, which can found here: http://saisbolognaad...cal-essay.html.

Link doesnt work.

Eh, I also usually go by the 10% rule, but not if they explicitly say no more than 600 words. That is an unequivocal instruction not to exceed the specified limit. On apps where they say a statement of X words, in approximately X words, etc. you have some wiggle room, but for SAIS I personally would stick to their limit.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of essays I'd like to adapt to this, but the one that directly related to my proposed course of study (Korea studies) is pretty weak. It will especially look dumb next to some of the work they churn out at the US-Korea Institute.

My other one is a little better informed, but has no direct connection to Korea studies. Do y'all think this is a serious mistake to use as my analytical essay?

I have a couple of essays I'd like to adapt to this, but the one that directly related to my proposed course of study (Korea studies) is pretty weak. It will especially look dumb next to some of the work they churn out at the US-Korea Institute.

My other one is a little better informed, but has no direct connection to Korea studies. Do y'all think this is a serious mistake to use as my analytical essay?

Mind shedding light on what this "other one" is about?

Mind shedding light on what this "other one" is about?

It's what I adapted into the policy brief for Princeton: an analysis/recommendation memo on the melting Arctic and the coming resource grab. I haven't worked in oil, but did hold a job at the South Pole and I like to juxtapose the Antarctic Treaty with the utter Wild West-ness of the North.

I know it's weird.

I just hit submit about an hour ago. Used the same topic as WWS memo but had to rewrite for 600 words. It definitely read like an Economist article. I hope. So relieved to be done. Hope everyone was happy with their submissions.