Cognitive Neuroscience 2009

LittleDancer817

ok let me join you guys. i'm doing decision neuroscience stuff. here's my status

interview : princeton neuro, nyu psych, ucl gatsby

no word : stanford psych, columbia psych,

rejected : brown cog sci, ucla psych

i will be at princeton and nyu first interview weekends. i might see a lot of you there.

I heard back from my post-interviews top two: I'm in at Duke and Yale! Now, what possible criteria could I use to distinguish them? They were both fantastic when I visited, so I know I'm going to regret my choice (temporarily) either way, thinking of what might have been. I'm ecstatic though, of course!

I heard back from my post-interviews top two: I'm in at Duke and Yale! Now, what possible criteria could I use to distinguish them? They were both fantastic when I visited, so I know I'm going to regret my choice (temporarily) either way, thinking of what might have been. I'm ecstatic though, of course!

That's wonderful! Congratulations! How do your research interests line up with each school? I'm sure the fit is great at both, but even minute differences may sway a decision. Did you get to speak with current graduate students and their experiences? Funding may have an impact as well...

It's a tough decision to make, but it sounds like you're in a great position :D

I ended up accepting an offer from Yale's neuroscience program! Duke's cognitive neuroscience program and faculty were amazing, but Yale just seemed like a slightly better match for me, which was very surprising (I thought my tough decision would be between Duke and NYU). So there might be a couple spots opening up, although I think its still very early in the game and most people won't have decided yet.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and deciding!

I ended up accepting an offer from Yale's neuroscience program!

Contrats! It must feel so nice to have a concrete decision (both theirs and yours), haha!

May I be so bold as to ask which lab you will in? I'm curious to hear; they have some awesome research going on.

Contrats! It must feel so nice to have a concrete decision (both theirs and yours), haha!

May I be so bold as to ask which lab you will in? I'm curious to hear; they have some awesome research going on.

Of course! The program uses rotations, so I'm not sure where my permanent lab will be. I plan on doing rotations with some combination of a bunch of the cognitive neuro people, like Daeyeol Lee, Marvin Chun, and Xiao-Jing Wang. There are also more people in the psychology department I am interested in, including Laurie Santos and possibly Jeremy Gray. So at the moment its kind of up in the air, but I like having so many people of interest to work with!

Of course! The program uses rotations, so I'm not sure where my permanent lab will be. I plan on doing rotations with some combination of a bunch of the cognitive neuro people, like Daeyeol Lee, Marvin Chun, and Xiao-Jing Wang. There are also more people in the psychology department I am interested in, including Laurie Santos and possibly Jeremy Gray. So at the moment its kind of up in the air, but I like having so many people of interest to work with!

That's great that you'll have so many relivant options. I see you're cornering the decision making researchers. That's such an interesting area...and so many people are looking at neuroeconomics as the hot "new" thing. I hope that translates to lots of grants for you :D ! There is some really nice work coming out of those labs! Best of luck with everything!

ItsBrainScience: Sorry, I don't know a thing about the ASU timeline. Anything up on the results page? Sorry that is zero informative, I just didn't want to ignore your post :oops: .

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Does anyone know of schools that are open to cognitive neuroscience and music research? I know that Harvard has a research lab with music as does McGill University... are there any other ones? Thanks!

-Nilani

Hey,

Does anyone know of schools that are open to cognitive neuroscience and music research? I know that Harvard has a research lab with music as does McGill University... are there any other ones? Thanks!

-Nilani

Hey Nilani,

I know there is a faculty member at UC Davis who does research with cog. neuro. and music, Petr Janata.

Hey Nilani,

I know there is a faculty member at UC Davis who does research with cog. neuro. and music, Petr Janata.

Hi Nilani, I have a similar interest in music research. However I'm open to various research methods. So among the many places (and professors) I applied to, Petr Janata's lab was one. Daniel Levitin at McGill is another. Caroline Palmer at McGill does work on music too. I'm just giving you names of people who work on music and not necessarily in neurocognition. There is this excellent researcher Diana Deustch at UCSD (I did not get a place there due to funding issues, international students find it very difficult to find funding there these days). http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/t.d.griffiths/tdg.html Prof Griffiths does some work on music. I was offered a position in his group in London (within UCL) but it was only a research assistant position and a well defined PhD program was not in place. However he advises PhD students at the NEwcastle University. You may contact him.

There are people in UK and Europe who do similar work.. I'm unable recall their names at this moment. Prof Andrew Oxenham at the Univ of Minnesota (Dept of Psychology) works on music.

Julian Thayer at the Ohio State University does some work on music that is physiology related.. not sure if the approach is that of a neurological one.