Cognitive Neuroscience 2009

LittleDancer817

Anyone applying to cognitive neuroscience or brain/behavior/cognition phd programs for the Fall? I haven't seen much of it on the results page!

The schools I applied to are: berkeley, U of arizona, johns hopkins, USC, BU, george washington, duke, U of iowa, U of rochester.

Ive heard back from arizona and iowa regarding interviews.

eek!

Hey, good to see a fellow cognitive neuroscience applicant. I'm visiting NYU (neural science), Duke (cog neuro), Yale (neuroscince BBS), UPenn (psychology), and UCLA (psychology). No word from Caltech (social science), Stanford (psychology), or Carnegie-Mellon (social & decision science). Rejection from Princeton (neuroscience). All in all, I feel pretty lucky and happy!

I am actually an undergrad at Arizona, so if you have any questions feel free to message me. The undergrad psychology program has been great, and all the grad students I know seem quite happy to be here. What type of research do you work on?

Good to see a thread for cog neuro. Which program have you guys applied to for your schools? I have a mix of neuroscience and psycology. Seems like I might be seeing you cogneuroforfun.

Interviews: Vandy (neuro, just finished my visit), Duke (cog neuro), Princeton (neuro), UCSD (neuro and psych), MIT, NYU (psych)

Waiting: UCLA (neuro)

Accepted: Yale (psych)

Rejected: U Mich (psych)

Hey, good to see a fellow cognitive neuroscience applicant. I'm visiting NYU, Duke, Yale, UPenn, and UCLA. No word from Caltech, Stanford, or Carnegie-Mellon. Rejection from Princeton. All in all, I feel pretty lucky and happy!

I am actually an undergrad at Arizona, so if you have any questions feel free to message me. The undergrad psychology program has been great, and all the grad students I know seem quite happy to be here. What type of research do you work on?

It's funny that you're an undergrad at Arizona, because I'm an undergrad at Carnegie Mellon, haha. I absolutely love it here! Who did you apply to work with? I probably know them!

As for my research, I'm interested in the neuropsychology of attention and perception. Can't wait to go to grad school and expand on it, and hopefully somewhere warmer than Pittsburgh :-\ (hence me applying to Arizona)

Oh yeah, the programs! I edited them into my original post.

For Carnegie Mellon, I was hoping to have my home department be social/decision science and do the CNBC neuro program. I am hoping to work with Loewenstein and a couple of the behavioral economists and psychologists. I actually got an interview to Pitt's neuroscience program, but it wasn't the best fit and the pre-interview phone call I got from a faculty member let me know they thought so too, so I ended up declining it as politely as possible :oops: So I haven't seen Pittsburgh yet, but I am hoping to hear good news from CMU.

Tucson is indeed quite warm, but it is a little cooler (temperature) than Phoenix, which is nice. Its been a great place to live and go to school! Pittsburgh looks like it is getting to be a pretty cool place to live: cheap but with a good city vibe.

Congrats on Yale czarrar! I actually had to arrange a different visit to Duke, as it conflicted with Yale's neuro interview. But I'm excited to see Duke, it looks like an amazing place to study.

Hey congratulations, cogneuroforfun! Those are some great schools. What is your desired research focus? My top choices are UCLA, UCB, and Stanford. Doesn't look so good, since I haven't heard replies from any of those. oh well :/

I'm doing decision making neuroscience / neuroeconomics stuff. I was really hoping to hear from Stanford too, but oh well. Are you set on California? The weather is amazing, but I'm a little worried about figuring out how to afford it on a grad school stipend.

Yeah, I love California for its great weather -- and various other reasons -- but will probably apply broader next time. Luckily, I'm in no hurry (at the moment). As for the graduate stipend, I think it is enough to live on, so I wouldn't worry about that... unless you like eating caviar for dinner every night. ;)

Hey

Just wondering what people have heard regarding interviews. I am applying to cog neuro / neuro / psychology programs. Here is what I've heard so far:

Acceptance:

Yale (behavioral neuro)

Interview:

UC Irvine (neurobiology & behavior) - Feb. 20th

Rutgers - Newark (integrative neuro) - Feb. 14th

Brown (behavioral neuro) - Feb. 27th

Still Waiting:

George Mason (biopsych)

NYU (cog & perception)

BU (brain, behavior, cog)

Harvard (cog, brain, behavior)

Princeton (neuro)

Northwestern (brain, behavior, cog)

Hey

Just wondering what people have heard regarding interviews. I am applying to cog neuro / neuro / psychology programs. Here is what I've heard so far:

Acceptance:

Yale (behavioral neuro)

Interview:

UC Irvine (neurobiology & behavior) - Feb. 20th

Rutgers - Newark (integrative neuro) - Feb. 14th

Brown (behavioral neuro) - Feb. 27th

Still Waiting:

George Mason (biopsych)

NYU (cog & perception)

BU (brain, behavior, cog)

Harvard (cog, brain, behavior)

Princeton (neuro)

Northwestern (brain, behavior, cog)

Either you are a friend in my program, or you just happened to have applied to all the same schools, and have been accepted and invited to interviews at the same schools as my friend. Do you want to shread the gnar perhaps? :lol:

Congrats on the interviews. Are you going for the feb 27th interview for nyu?

I had an interview at Vanderbilt this past weekend. It was fun to talk mostly about research! The interviews varied based on the profs but mostly consists of some variant of the following (1) prof talking about their own research, (2) asking you about your research experiences, (3) what your research interests are, and (4) why do you want to go to the particular school.

Ooh, I'm glad I found this thread, and it looks like I've applied to the same schools as a lot of you...

Here's where I'm at:

Interview: Duke (cog neuro recruitment weekend - will I be seeing anyone from here?), Northwestern (phone)

Waiting: Harvard, WashU, UPenn, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, Stanford

Rejected: Yale (congrats to the people who did get in though!)

Doesn't look so good for most of the universities I haven't yet heard from, although I imagine applicants' research interests would be a fairly important deciding factor (my interest is memory, by the way)?

Congrats NeuroGuy about Yale. I may see you there.

cogneuroforfun who did you apply for at UCLA (congrats), I am working there now.

Seems like most of you are going the first weekend for NYU, too bad I won't get to see all of you....good luck!

cogneuroforfun who did you apply for at UCLA (congrats), I am working there now.

I'm primarily interested in working with Russ Poldrack and Craig Fox, but I'm also curious about Bernard Balleine's lab. Do you happen to know if there is anyone doing anything related to decision making with monkey electrophysiology at UCLA? In my time looking through the website and reading papers in the field, I don't think I've seen anyone, unfortunately, as I'm hoping to do some monkey work too (as if taking classes and doing fMRI isn't enough workload already, hah :) ).

I'm primarily interested in working with Russ Poldrack and Craig Fox, but I'm also curious about Bernard Balleine's lab. Do you happen to know if there is anyone doing anything related to decision making with monkey electrophysiology at UCLA? In my time looking through the website and reading papers in the field, I don't think I've seen anyone, unfortunately, as I'm hoping to do some monkey work too (as if taking classes and doing fMRI isn't enough workload already, hah :) ).

Cool, I am interested in Russ too (who isn't :)) and Paul Thompson, although it doesnt seem likely that i will be going to UCLA. I am not too familiar with monkey electrophys work...there is Joaquin Fuster who does stuff, maybe he would be of interest to you.