Crappy reco from famous prof?

dudebroIII

say many years ago as an undergrad you took a class like Math 55 at Harvard or the equivalent at MIT/etc. ie. something with a really strong reputation.

for those not familiar:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/12/6/burden-of-proof-at-1002-am/

now, the well-known prof has agreed to write a rec, but as it states in the article, you were among the 10 who didn't understand the course. so he says the rec would not be that strong. a strong rec from this prof would probably guarantee admission ... my dilemma is whether a weak rec is worth anything.

this is for an MS in Stats program, and my other options for recommendations are very limited. any thoughts?

Yep, 100% agree with Safferz. In general, I think prospective students *way* overestimate the importance of having someone "famous" write them a letter. Sure, it's nicer to have a great letter from a well-known prof than an unknown one, but if there will be a significant difference in the enthusiasm of the letter, you should go with the stronger letter regardless of the reputation of the letter writer.

Edited by cyberwulf

well unfortunately i have no options to get a strong rec from a professor who knows me well. i've been out of school some time and did not maintain contact, nor did i have great relationships with professors in school.

given this info and assuming this is my only option to get a rec from a professor, does this change anything? my other options will be former colleagues who will definitely write enthusiastically, but they are non academics