Interview/Audition Weekend at Eastman

Catalyst77

Has anybody attended the interview/audition weekend at Eastman? Can any current students or past applicants tell me what to expect at it?

A couple of things in particular I'm wondering about are:

-What should I wear? The vast majority of the interview advice threads on this forum relate to science programs, and I'm sure their dress codes are different than for a music school.

-Where do interviewees stay? There was no mention of accommodations being provided, so are we on our own? Are there places to stay in the area that strike a good balance of affordability, non-sketchiness, and proximity?

If you've been through this and can tell me what to expect of the half-hour interviews themselves, that would be awesome, too.

Many thanks, everyone!

I can give you no good advice as I've never been school interviewing, let alone at Eastman, but I'd like to know other people's answers to your questions in case I end up with an interview somewhere. Good luck!

Without going on anything else, I would wear typical job-interview attire to be safe. I wouldn't assume that science interview dress would be different unless they do it super casual for some reason. Just because music is way awesome and fun does not mean that it's not also serious bidness to interview at a music school, I would think. :P

My brother (undergraduate) is auditioning at Eastman in early Feb so if anyone also has advice on the second question of nearby hotels, that would be great too! We haven't booked anything yet.

• 2 weeks later...

@snes, I found some accommodations info that may help you: Eastman has a list of convenient hotels posted on their site, and some of them have discounts! Here's the link: http://www.esm.rochester.edu/studentlife/hotels/

You're right that music interviews are just as serious; I was actually thinking they would be more formally-attired than science interviews! I just don't want to show up totally overdressed. Also, we have to walk around quite a bit for the tours. Maybe I'll just email an office admin about this...

• 2 months later...

Has it happened yet? Probably. ESM Theory organizes for interviewees to stay with current ESM theorists, so don't worry about somewhere to stay. Most people wear dress pants/shirt/tie. No suits.

It's very selective - about 1/3 - 1/2 interviewees get in.

DH is an ESM theory alum, I am an ESM PRL alum