What are you listening to?

fenderpete

As an ex-music journo I feel it falls upon me to make this thread :)

Most recently I've been enjoying Bon Iver, discovered Midlake's second album 'The Trials of Van Occupanther' and ordered the latest Trace Bundy album. I've also been going through a massive Pearl Jam kick at the minute, and I'm currently learning an acoustic set of old PJ favourites to pass the hours!

What's everyone else been listening to lately? Any recommendations?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have rekindled my love affair with Iron and Wine. Particularly a couple of songs: He Lays in the Reins (w/Calexico) and Sea and the Rhythm. Just beautiful.

I'm also in the works of choreographing a dance piece to a song from the Wicked! musical. Silly but fun.

Also been a little obsessed with Songs: Ohia. Feeling a little mellow/meh these days. -_-

I have been listening obsessively to "It's Amazing" by Jem. ("And, I know, cause I've been there before / Knocking on door, won't take no for an answer / And, you'll see, cause if it's meant to be / Nothing can compare to deserving your dream.") And, while I listen, I daydream about getting an acceptance notification to my top choice. Cheesy, I know.

Wilco, The National, Animal Collective (released what is and will remain the best album of 2009!), Fleet Foxes, Pavement, and the Dark Was the Night Compilation (has some great stuff by Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, Yeasayer, Feist, Dirty Projectors, etc.).

Most days I've been listening to either Ryan Adams's entire oeuvre--including the Whiskeytown and "+ The Cardinals" years--or a metric crap-ton of bluegrass. The Ryan Adams keeps me mellow, whereas the bluegrass gets me all pumped for work in the lab.

On days when I'm feeling especially optimistic (or foolishly hopeful) about my chances of receiving an acceptance or interview invite, I loop the finale of Mahler's Fifth, so even if I don't hear from anyone, at least I feel triumphant all day.

I have rekindled my love affair with Iron and Wine. Particularly a couple of songs: He Lays in the Reins (w/Calexico) and Sea and the Rhythm. Just beautiful.

I'm also in the works of choreographing a dance piece to a song from the Wicked! musical. Silly but fun.

Also been a little obsessed with Songs: Ohia. Feeling a little mellow/meh these days. -_-

Great call with Songs: Ohia. I was listening to the song "Tigress" the other night. It's become the theme song for my applications:

"it's difficult not to worry about what happens next..."

I've also been listening to a lot of Broken Social Scene and Godspeedyoublackemperor!

Great call with Songs: Ohia. I was listening to the song "Tigress" the other night. It's become the theme song for my applications:

"it's difficult not to worry about what happens next..."

I've also been listening to a lot of Broken Social Scene and Godspeedyoublackemperor!

Nice! BSS is my favorite band ever. Charles Spearin (one of the many members) released (whoops. WILL release--it leaked) an album call The Happiness Project. It's a pretty interesting concept:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Happiness_Project. I have a kind of funny and pathetic story about meeting them. After a show of theirs in SF, we headed to the parking garage to get my car, but the lot was closed. So we headed back to the venue to wait for a ride, and a few members came out to hang out with us for an hour or two. Brendan Canning asked us to come and join them at a club/bar, but my stupid ass was worried about my car and getting home, so I opted not to. Let's just say it's one of my biggest regrets in life. Hah.

side note: does anyone here have a last.fm? here's mine: http://www.last.fm/user/steveotron

Rachel Yamagata's sophomore album ('Elephants... Teeth Sinking Into Heart'), which is... Heart-breaking. Absolutely genius in so many ways, but definitely not good optimistic fare. Also: PJ Harvey's 'White Chalk' (even more depressing) and The Smiths' 'Strangeways Here We Come', which is an old favorite and therefore mostly reassuring... :roll:

I've also been playing through slow movements of solo Bach when feeling contemplative and/or fearful (but I like the Mahler suggestion).