GPA of 2.748 in the First Semester of MS Comp. Sc

Hi

I just scored GPA 2.75 in the first semester of my MS Comp Sc and I will be on Probation (International Student). This is mainly due to taking 4 core subjects and I am unable to score with a average GPA 3.0. I am planning to take 2 easy (relatively) subjects with 2 seminars this Semester and aiming for min. A- in both subjects. Is it impossible to get that? Any previous experiences are really motivational to me. Please suggest.

None of us can tell you if it is impossible or not, we do not know your capability. Since you are in graduate school now, you know what you can and cannot do given your experience in undergrad and one semester in grad school. Typically, I would say that hoping to earn substantially higher grades over just one semester is unrealistic, but as I said, only you know what you can do. You may wish to speak to your adviser about this as well to seek his/her advice. Remember, you are not in this totally alone. Best of luck!

I think it depends on the circumstances surrounding this last semester. Were you dealt a bad hand in professors with teaching/grading methods that don't work well for you? What I mean is different people learn things differently. I've had one professor teach something and I was completely unable to absorb the information. Then another professor taught the same thing and I was suddenly able to understand it because their teaching style fit well with my learning style. Were there other things going on, like a lack of time to study or procrastination on your part?

I agree with the poster above, we can't know if you can make such a huge turn around during this next semester. Only you can know that. If your grades were partially due to circumstances, then you might be able to do better in a better set of circumstances. If this wasn't the problem, then it might take longer to bring your grades up.

• 2 months later...

4 courses down to 2? I would hope your GPA would improve significantly. That is, if your poor grades are because you were unable to spend enough time on the subject matter. 2.75 to a 3.7 may be an unrealistic expectation though. I'd set a slightly less ambitious goal (3.5?). Good luck!