SLP Admissions Essay

rs7

Hello Everyone,

I am in the process of finishing grad school applications for SLP Masters programs and was wondering if anyone could help me relate my current job (teaching elementary school) to the speech pathology field. I have worked with SLPs at my school to support several of my students but I was wondering what specific teaching skills can I relate to the field?

I understand what you are asking probably because I was an elementary school teacher and am in the process of applying to SLP programs as well. You probably already know the answer to your question but are having a hard time bringing it to fruition. That was my initial problem. I think this is a fine thing to ask and I have questions for you that will probably help you answer your own question. That is how someone helped me. I will message you my thoughts so I don't offend anyone who thinks this is "the kind of thing you should think of yourself."

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. You should have just skipped over this topic if you didn't agree with it instead of being a hater.

Why?

To the OP: just write something. Let it sit for a day or two then edit it and let somebody else read it.

If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. You should have just skipped over this topic if you didn't agree with it instead of being a hater.

I don't mind if you think I'm a hater. I went through this whole process already and have a good understanding of how it works. I am pointing out that one should think of a personal statement as an interview of sorts. If, at this point in the game, an applicant is having trouble relating their current skills to those of an SLP, then there's no harm in me or anyone else pointing out the reality. That's a fact, not hatred.

Regarding Tyler's advice: solid.

Good luck.

Edited by caffeinerd

"I have worked with SLPs at my school to support several of my students."

I suggest writing about how you specifically worked with SLPs to support your students. What role did you play in the intervention process (team teaching, consulting, data collection etc.)? Caffeinerd, however brash, is right to point out the fact that there are a lot of obvious crossover skills between SLPs and teachers. My advice is to avoid making general comparisons between the professions and stick to describing your actual experiences.