SSHRC -- Have you heard from your school?

wheatGrass

I think schools have to forward their nominations for doctoral scholarships to SSHRC by Jan. 9th. At least at my school, it's Jan 9th -- "received by SSHRC by Jan. 9th" is what the notice says, actually. That's Monday! I'm surprised I haven't heard yet. It's bound to be any day. The decisions MUST be made by now. I've checked my email a zillion times.

Has anyone heard from their schools about whether or not their application has been forwarded to SSHRC?

I think schools have to forward their nominations for doctoral scholarships to SSHRC by Jan. 9th. At least at my school, it's Jan 9th -- "received by SSHRC by Jan. 9th" is what the notice says, actually. That's Monday! I'm surprised I haven't heard yet. It's bound to be any day. The decisions MUST be made by now. I've checked my email a zillion times.

Has anyone heard from their schools about whether or not their application has been forwarded to SSHRC?

Last year I was informed on Jan. 18th (from SSHRC) and on Jan. 19th (from my university). I'm still on the waitlist from last year, so I had to apply all over again this year. Given what the pattern was last year, I don't expect to hear any news until at least Jan. 18th. Good luck! The waiting is almost over, thank goodness!

Last year I was informed on Jan. 18th (from SSHRC) and on Jan. 19th (from my university). I'm still on the waitlist from last year, so I had to apply all over again this year. Given what the pattern was last year, I don't expect to hear any news until at least Jan. 18th. Good luck! The waiting is almost over, thank goodness!

I honestly can't believe this has happened, but about an hour after I wrote that post ^^ I got an e-mail from my university confirming that I've been forwarded. :) Talk about crazy timing! It seems that my university is on top of the early communication this year!

Yup, just heard back from my university. Haven't heard any word from SSHRC yet, but it's encouraging news. I'm applying for the PhD fellowship, if the masters is any different. (We should really be getting all our notifications in now, given the deadline for forwarding is the 9th)

It's driving me nuts! According to the responsible at my university, my application was forwaded to the SSHRC but I haven't received an e-mail from them (yet).

Sorry for my crappy english, it's not my primary language.

• 5 weeks later...

I applied for a SSHRC at the MA level and I heard from my undergrad university on Thursday that I have been forwarded to SSHRC for final verification! Any thoughts on when I might hear back? Should I inform UofT (my grad school choice for Canada) that I will likely be getting a SSHRC?

Edited by nicolemc

nicolemc, word on the street is for SSHRC MA, getting forwarded to Ottawa usually results in funding. (i.e. a rubber stamp)

You should let them know the good news! They will likely have a good idea of the MA yield.

So, out of curiosity. If your application is forwarded by your university you are very likely to get the SSHRC? It is my first time applying, so it would be very nice to know of my chances if my application is forwarded.

-bentharbour

Yup heard back today from my University. I was put on ther "Reversion" list (Go to York). They said if they gave any more quota I'll have top priority in getting my file sent out, but really not counting on it.

:(!!

So does anyone know the likelihood of getting funded if you application is forwarded to Ottawa? I have heard conflicting stories.

~60% if you're an A-list candidate

~30% if you're B-list

This varies by discipline.

Heard from SSHRC a couple days ago that they received my application, now I'm just waiting for them to give it the final stamp :D Passed the info on to UofT and they said informing them was definitely the right thing to do. Now....I wait.

I heard from my university and from SSHRC directly and now its just the waiting game. How do you know if you are on list A or list B? I didin;t think they ranked anymore or maybe thats something else. I've also been told that you have a really good chance of getting one if you are forwarded by your university....but i don't want to get my hopes up!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding SSHRC. Back in February, I received a letter from my university saying that my application was not being forwarded on to Ottawa for SSHRC. On March 1st, however, I received an email from SSHRC saying that they had received my application. I called my Faculty of Graduate Studies, and all they could tell me was that my application had in fact been forwarded. Does anyone know if this may mean I was forwarded on as an alternate? It appears as though most people who were initially forwarded on by their universities had received a confirmation email from SSHRC back in February. What do you suppose it means that I did not hear from SSHRC until March 1st?

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone, I have a question regarding SSHRC. Back in February, I received a letter from my university saying that my application was not being forwarded on to Ottawa for SSHRC. On March 1st, however, I received an email from SSHRC saying that they had received my application. I called my Faculty of Graduate Studies, and all they could tell me was that my application had in fact been forwarded. Does anyone know if this may mean I was forwarded on as an alternate? It appears as though most people who were initially forwarded on by their universities had received a confirmation email from SSHRC back in February. What do you suppose it means that I did not hear from SSHRC until March 1st? Thanks for any help!

You were probably forwarded as an alternate. I received word from my school (Ryerson) in February that I wasn't one of the 27 (our school's quota) that got forwarded on for the $17,500 scholarship, but that I did get forwarded as an alternate. They told me that if any additional scholarships became available or people declined, I might get one.

Oh, and I got the email on March 1st too. So we're in the same boat! =)