OGS Status Update Anyone?

tomj

Has anyone before done so themselves (or know of someone who has), been placed on the waitlist for OGS and has applied for OSAP loan as a back up?

I don't want to add to my OSAP debt, but I don't make nearly enough money from my job, or have the time to work more hours (full course load this spring/summer, same for the fall, and the winter 2013 will be my practicum... 40 hour weeks..."volunteering"....)

I'm just curious if anyone has been in that situation before...

also.... if I apply for OSAP and then find out that I will get an OGS... what happens to that OSAP application? I'm terrified of OSAP, they are scary people.... so, just want to make sure I get the whole process, benefits, consequences, etc.

Adjudication Completed - Successful Candidate

Will be declining for SSHRC CGS,,, which means +1 for the waitlist! Best of luck to those waiting/applying next year, and congrats to recipients.

I got OGS last year but not this year. Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed, but do not despair if you are in the same boat. Keep working hard on whatever you do! :)

By the way, does anyone know how they choose recipients? Do you compete with applicants within your own program? I'm studying physio at UT and I think the reason why I am unsuccessful this year is because people in my class have crazy high GPAs (I am below the class incoming average).

Hey Everyone,

Under my current status, it is dated May 14 but only states that my app is submitted without any indication of whether I was successful or not or waitlisted. Anyone else experiencing this as well? FYI: I submitted a paper application...any thoughts?

PS. Congrats to all those who were successful and to those weren't - good-luck with your future prospects!

I'm in the same boat...I'm starting to wonder if I forgot to submit something online?

I got OGS last year but not this year. Needless to say, I'm extremely disappointed, but do not despair if you are in the same boat. Keep working hard on whatever you do! :)

By the way, does anyone know how they choose recipients? Do you compete with applicants within your own program? I'm studying physio at UT and I think the reason why I am unsuccessful this year is because people in my class have crazy high GPAs (I am below the class incoming average).

Kind of: when your professors fill out the ref. form, they indicate where you stand for various categories compared to your cohort. You are ranked by "background preparation, originality, ability at research, research potential, industriousness, judgement, oral and written skills, and overall ability within the top 2%, 5%, 10%, 20%, 50% or bottom 50% of students at a similar stage previously evaluated by that professor." So in a way, you are competing against them. Also, your department ranks you before the applications leave the school. If you have a crazy cohort then I think this could hurt your chances if you consider these two factors.

Also for people asking about the wait-list - it's very rare to come off it. I was on it two years ago and never received it. I know of several people in my program who were on the wait-list and were unsuccessful. That doesn't mean it's impossible but I would caution people not to get their hopes up.

Congratulations to everyone who was able to secure an award. I was fortunate to be one of the lucky ones. A couple of my friends who have CIHR funding are currently declining their offers, so hopefully a few people who are waitlisted will still get their award.... I still wish they would give you rankings like they do for the CIHR competition... that way at least the people being put on hold may have some idea of whether or not they have a good chance or not

Kind of: when your professors fill out the ref. form, they indicate where you stand for various categories compared to your cohort. You are ranked by "background preparation, originality, ability at research, research potential, industriousness, judgement, oral and written skills, and overall ability within the top 2%, 5%, 10%, 20%, 50% or bottom 50% of students at a similar stage previously evaluated by that professor." So in a way, you are competing against them. Also, your department ranks you before the applications leave the school. If you have a crazy cohort then I think this could hurt your chances if you consider these two factors.

Well, my references were not from the school I am studyig at now, so the % factor shouldn't have been a problem. However, I know for a fact that the people in my class have very high GPAs, and I think that was problem for me. Thanks for the info.

So, I've gotta ask this: To those of you who were successful (I wasn't), would you be willing to post some of your vitals? I'm just trying to discern where/how I came up short. Truth be told, I thought I was in good shape for an OGS, but I found out today I was unsuccessful (I was not even wait-listed).

About me: I just finished my BA at UofT in Polisci (I had completed 18.5 credits when I applied in the fall of 2011). I have a 3.77 cgpa (3.90 in 3rd and 4th year).

I applied to MA programs in Polisci at UBC, Queens, UofT, and McMaster. I was accepted to all four with funding.

I will be attending the MA program at UofT this fall.

Congrats to those of you who were successful. But seriously, how did you do it?

From what I've been told, you compete against people in your discipline. For some reason, I seem to remember that the figure is something like 60 awards per subject although that seems awfully low so perhaps my memory is incorrect.

Anyway, scholarship adjudication committees are crapshoots--congrats to those who got it, but for those that didn't, this really isn't an indication of your academic merit/worth (as much as it might feel like a slap in the face).

I was lucky enough to get an OGS this year but I have no idea why.

I've received OGS twice before and was unsuccessful this time.

I have the highest GPA of my cohort, dynamite reference letters, and a published article from my research.

It's a total crapshoot. Could also be reduced scholarships due to government cutbacks. It's basically horseshit.

I've received OGS twice before and was unsuccessful this time.

I have the highest GPA of my cohort, dynamite reference letters, and a published article from my research.

It's a total crapshoot. Could also be reduced scholarships due to government cutbacks. It's basically horseshit.

No reductions this year. In the small 'blurb' given to this year's successful applicants, it states that you are among the 3000 students to be funded by OGS. Last year there were also 3000 awards. In previous years, there were only 2000 awards.

I also got an OGS last year, and am on the wait-list this year.

Does anyone know how it works in terms of your chances of getting OGS a second time? Because I was basically told anyone who received OGS before was almost guaranteed....I guess not based on experience and the other comments on the forum.

I had a 3.9 cGPA from my undergrad and received an NSERC scholarship for my first year. I have a feeling receiving NSERC has opened up a lot more doors as far as receiving other scholarships, but I could be wrong, as apparently previously receiving OGS doesn't mean anything to them.

Congratulations to everyone who was able to secure an award. I was fortunate to be one of the lucky ones. A couple of my friends who have CIHR funding are currently declining their offers, so hopefully a few people who are waitlisted will still get their award.... I still wish they would give you rankings like they do for the CIHR competition... that way at least the people being put on hold may have some idea of whether or not they have a good chance or not

Yes, I agree- I am on the waitlist and I would rather know yes or no. "maybe" doesn't cut it. it's like...if you are going to shoot me, shoot me dead, don't leave me here bleeding!

Successful. I will be declining to accept SSHRC. Some people have said it's impossible to get off the waitlist for OGS. I don't know why that is when so many people decline for SSHRC or to go out of province.

I would like to think that declined awards actually do go to those on the waitlist otherwise why bother having a waitlist?! Good luck everyone!

Edited by lemonbeans

A big thank-you goes out to those declining their SSHRCs/other tri-council funding and posting their decisions on this forum so that ppl on the OGS wait list may have a shot or at least know that more OGSs will be available. Just received an email from the grad chair at the university I'll be attending in September saying that he has often seen applicants get off the OGS wait list successfully in the past. Although, he also said it may take a while. I imagine that ppl on the wait list (including me) won't hear anything until after June 29 (which is the date to accept/decline OGS).

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but many of us will get the OGS once the successful tri-council applicants decline theirs! Although I've read on this forum that wait listees rarely get an OGS, I say let's be optimistic (but not overly) and keep our spirits high!

Here are some of my OGS application stats

Grad GPA: 3.93.

5 refereed conference presentations

1 refereed and 1 non-refereed publications

Funding: MA SSHRC, U of Manitoba Grad. Fellowship ($12,000), and 5 other scholarships; 8 conference travel grants (including SSHRC)

1 year RA experience + 4 years of Ethics Board service

Excellent reference letters

Plan of Study was reviewed by 3 reputable and experienced department members (Sociology, UManitoba)

Hope this helps.

Successful. I will be declining to accept SSHRC. Some people have said it's impossible to get off the waitlist for OGS. I don't know why that is when so many people decline for SSHRC or to go out of province.

I would like to think that declined awards actually do go to those on the waitlist otherwise why bother having a waitlist?! Good luck everyone!

Yes that is ideal. This is what I have heard: the reason why it's hard to get off the waitlist is because they supposedly make more offer of awards than they can actually give out, knowing that not everyone will accept (for various reasons like getting a SSHRC or going out of province for grad school). To get off the waitlist would mean that they didn't make their quota for a year. So yes I think a few people get off the waitlist but not many. Again this is all hearsay. Who knows!

I also got an OGS last year, and am on the wait-list this year.

Does anyone know how it works in terms of your chances of getting OGS a second time? Because I was basically told anyone who received OGS before was almost guaranteed....I guess not based on experience and the other comments on the forum.

My previous expirience has been:

MA: awarded SSHRC, not OGS

PhD 1, PhD 2: awarded OGS, not SSHRC

PhD 3: awarded OGS and SSHRC (this competition)

I would think that once you are awarded an OGS for your project, the results don't change much as long as you keep up the same level of work, the same general project, and same standing in your department. I know of fellow students who didn't get OGS after having received it in previous years because they started to slack, didn't follow through with publications, got in tiffs with department heads/profs, etc--in this case, they are often downgraded from top 2 or 5% to lower...which significantly effects their chances. New grad students (a particularly strong or weak year) can also completely distort departmental rankings. I was told (problematically and unprofessionally) by a professor at my school that the majority of the new PhD 1s outranked the PhD 3s in their applications.