Critical Studies Film/ Media

kwagner

Hi Pearla,

I've done all my education in India, and that includes a MA and M.Phil. Slogged for a month on the GRE and got a 1460. That was the toughest part of the applications ordeal for me because i hadn't studied Math in a decade! I have a background in filmmaking and I think that worked in my favour.

What program are you applying for? Good luck :)

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I am looking to apply to NYU and Columbia's film studies programs. I am a senior at St. Francis College in Brooklyn dual majoring in both Film and English. I have a 3.9 GPA (4.0 in my majors) and played D1 water polo for four years, yet every time I look over the requirements I feel incredibly inadequate for either school. Does anyone have any tips for applying to these two programs. I kind of want to know my chances as well. Do I need some kind of professional background, published work, alumni recommendations, to have any shot? Any advice, even if its I am wasting my time would be greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I am looking to apply to NYU and Columbia's film studies programs. I am a senior at St. Francis College in Brooklyn dual majoring in both Film and English. I have a 3.9 GPA (4.0 in my majors) and played D1 water polo for four years, yet every time I look over the requirements I feel incredibly inadequate for either school. Does anyone have any tips for applying to these two programs. I kind of want to know my chances as well. Do I need some kind of professional background, published work, alumni recommendations, to have any shot? Any advice, even if its I am wasting my time would be greatly appreciated!

If you have pro experience, published work, etc. of course it helps. More than anything my advice is to concentrate on the Statement of Purpose. Be scholarly and show you are dedicated and focused on research. contact faculty before hand. Leave no part of you ap in the dust. Make sure GRE scores are good, rec come from people in your field who no you and have a pro editor give your writing sample the once over. Apply to a wide range of schools. Leave out the water polo stuff, schools want to know you are into research and are invested in intellectual life.

• 1 year later...

I have two overlaps with you (NYU and Brown) but have yet to here from either of them. Like most of the other film people on these boards, however, I have heard from my two California schools (UCSB and Berkeley) and was rejected from both. Apparently some people have been called and emailed by Brown to say they were accepted. Was one of those you? At this point, the best I'm expecting out of them is a wait list. We shall see though. I just finished an MA at Columbia in Film Studies...I was hoping that would help me out, but, so far, no luck.

Good luck!

Can you tell me more about the Columbia program? Did you like it? Any regrets? (Any loans....? And if so, how are you paying them back?)

Can you tell me more about the Columbia program? Did you like it? Any regrets? (Any loans....? And if so, how are you paying them back?)

*Columbia MA program

Also, do you know approximately how many people apply each year?