MA in Medieval Studies at the Central European University

Joshua Garland

Due to the atrocious state of British humanities postgraduate funding at the moment, I'm currently considering putting an application for the Central European University for their MA course, especially as they focus on Byzantium and the Islamic Caliphate. What's the general consensus regarding CEU and its history department?

I will admit to not knowing CEU very well but after doing a brief search of their website they seem to have a bunch of people who focus on late antiquity in the east, if that's something you are particularly interested in. That being said, if you want to go back to the UK and get PhD funding you're probably still better off doing an MA at Oxford, Cambridge, St. Andrews, King's College London, SOAS, etc. since they are more well known in the field especially in the UK. Also, if you're a UK resident the number of funded places for MA programs is not particularly high, but there are some. Finally, consider the cost of moving to Budapest in any calculations. If you have more specific questions about particular UK programs, I do know some of them well, so feel free to send me a message.

They are accredited through US accreditation agencies, so your degree will be just as valid on this side of the pond as the other. I know they are well regarded in europe. Their press puts out a lot of good works. Budapest is a great city. Aside from that, don't know much more.

Hey, I just wanted to post as I have many friends who have done their MA's or still doing there. Actually I was also admitted to its MA program in History two years ago, but decided to stay in my home country. If you want to do MA in Medieval Studies, and their interests fit with yours, I will definetely recommend you to apply to CEU. I don't know which one of their MA options (1-year or 2-year) you are interested in. In the first option, a year is divided into three semesters. For the first two, you take courses. The last semester is seperated for writing your MA thesis, which rather looks like a term paper as it is a bit difficult to finish a good one within only three months unless you don't have some earlier research about your topic. The second option is a regular one. During your stay in Budapest, you are provided with a single room at CEU's residence center (seems like a Hotel with even swimming pools :) and accomodation is for free. Four of six friends of mine who got their degrees from CEU have been admitted to top American PhD programs including Princeton, Cornell, Chicago. And finally Budapest is a great place to live :) In fact, I am also considering of doing a second MA there, only one year, not a big deal :) If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

CEU seems like an awesome place to me. My advisor also has really high praise for it. I think they offer a lot of classes in English, so you should be fine there. If the funding's there, I'd say go for it. It seems to be well-respected generally. Good luck learning Hungarian though...

• 8 years later...