Are there fights in the meetings?

t_ruth

I'm just curious about the process and I understand a few of you are in the know.

Do the committee members fight over applicants? If one wants to say yes and another no? If they both want to be advisors to the same student?

How contentious is the process?

Any stories you can tell us without revealing identities?

thought it might be fun to know...

I think things can get heated, especially when a professor wants a student and hasn't been allowed to take on a new student in the last few admissions cycles. One of my prospective advisors told me that she wasn't given any students last year, and as a result was going to demand one (i.e., me) this go round. I really hope she's as tenacious as she sounds, because I'd really like to work with her!

I would love it if when they came to my file they got into a huge argument:

Prof A: He's good, I want him as a student!

Prof B: But I picked up his file first, I want him!

Prof C: I'm going to call seniority and claim him as mine!"

so on and so forth

It'd be a nice confidence booster

At one of my schools I met with two professors who both want me. They said that if I get in, they will probably share. :)

THAT was a confidence booster, let me tell you. Sadly, the school in question has pretty much no funding at all this year. :/

I wonder if more than one want you if they default to the one you listed first in your SOP or something. Most of my SOPs listed a primary prof I wanted to work with and then went on to, "I'd also be interested..."

though I guess sharing would be a good option too. When I was applying for RA jobs once, two profs wanted me so asked if I would split time. I ended up focusing more on one than the other, but that was ok because someone else also split the time and ended up focusing more on the other one. it certainly would be grand to be wanted doubly (but I'd settle for just being wanted at all!).

If funding is limited in a particular group which has sub-units--such as finance vs. marketing vs. OB in business school--I think they at least get to fight about the number of offers each one gets to make... :)

I wonder if more than one want you if they default to the one you listed first in your SOP or something. Most of my SOPs listed a primary prof I wanted to work with and then went on to, "I'd also be interested..."

It probably depends on the program, especially in psych (although I don't know much about ed psych). I know some of my programs are very lab-based, only-work-with-one-advisor, and some are completely collaborative, where students are expected to work with at least 3 people and the assignment of a particular advisor is fairly arbitrary within the group that matches each student's interests.

I've heard of grad program chairs wanting to admit someone but the professor with the relevant work not wanting to advise them...in that situation, I'd rather not be admitted to end up with a reluctant advisor!

This pretty much happened to me for my MA program....my initial advisor basically told me this at our first meeting when I enrolled in the program; I ended up changing advisors during my first semester--it's NOT a confidence booster :oops: