Digitizing Graphs & Plots

Tooma

I'm using two open-source apps to digitize the data from plots and graphs. The number of digitized points is not as much as I want and it is kinda manual to do the whole process.

Does anyone know of a decent software to do the job automatically?

Just a question, but what is your source for these plots and graphs? It seems to me you're trying to get the original data from a graph to then use or re-work, but that's rarely an effective or accurate method.

You might have more luck trying to contact the corresponding author (if these are published) to get the actual original data.

Good question. I'm developing mathematical models. To test my models, I just need some crude data for quick verification. I scan the scientific papers for such data.

When I get good primary results, I contact the author for the original data and maybe putting something together for publishing.

Don't worry, no frauds here.

Haha, I hadn't even considered fraud. I just know how hard it is to get any useful and exact data from graphs.

Sadly, I have nothing else to add- manually digitizing is the only way I know to get a graphic (I'm assuming these are from PDFs) into any sort of data format. The graphic itself really doesn't distinguish the line as a separate item, so most computational-based methods would have a problem breaking it into cohesive data points.

• 8 years later...

Hi folks,

If anyone is interested, we have launched a free graph digitizer.  You can use it to extract 1000's of points on a spectral curve in seconds.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.

https://www.opticsforhire.com/graph-digitizer

John