Lost funding - now what?

robot_hamster

As the title says, I have lost my funding. It wasn't anything I did, it's just that there was a shortage of TA positions this semester. I have 2 semesters left to go, if I continue going full-time. Unfortunately, I had been relying on my stipend to pay the bills. I'm not sure how I will make it through the semester without it. I really don't know what to do. Has anyone ever had this happen?

I've just started, so no I've never had this happen. What other options have you looked into? Have you tried TA-ing for other departments? Are you in a PhD or Master's? If you are a PhD student, and you have achieved Candidacy, and you are finishing your dissertation, the university may be able to help you out if the department cannot.

I'm a masters student, priority is given to PhD students. My last paycheck was at the end of December. There was no warning, but there has never been any guarantee either. I wasn't initially offered funding, I had to work really hard to get my first TA position. The rest just sort of followed. I guess there just wasn't much to be had this semester. I was informed last week.

Can you take out a loan?

How much do you have in savings?

FYI - I know PhD students at private schools who are paying out of pocket right now for their engineering degrees, so for this to happen to a Master's student.... it doesn't make it any better for you, but the economy is terrible right now and this is whats happening

No, I haven't tried that yet. I'm not sure how I would go about doing that since most TA positions are not advertised.

****************Most jobs in this world are not advertised.***********************

I would write a VERY, VERY strong cover letter and curriculum vitae, and make an excellent impression in person when you hand deliver it to every department on campus that you could possibly TA for. If you need details on what to put in the cover letter, let me know

To answer your other questions, I can take out a loan. Unfortunately, I am left with about $4,000 after tuition is taken out since without my TA position tuition will no longer be waived.

Savings? You're joking right? I don't have anything in savings since my stipend was barely covering the bills.

What I meant was $4000 would be left over if I took out the maximum amount since tuition would have to be paid with the loan. I have considered tutoring, but I've been having a hard time finding someone that needs tutoring in areas I actually know something about. My GRE score was so-so, most likely why I was not initially offered funding. I could have done better, but I didn't have time to study for it.

I don't think you actually need to be an expert to tutor most subjects. Especially as you go into younger students (high school, first year, etc.). As long as you have learned the subject before, you can probably learn it again. I used to tutor grade 10 math, which I obviously learned before, but forgot it all. I would have to relearn it on the fly, but my main role was to supervise the student through homework exercises, which was easy enough. Got paid $50 an hour, and the student ended up doing much better!

mechnger - I could do biology (zoo, genetics, cell, etc), organic chem (I hate regular chem), and similar areas. I'm sure that these areas already have TAs. As for tutoring, I don't see these pop up very often either.

ktel - That is true. I would probably be fine with high school level in a lot of things. I would just have to see what it was they were learning and then go from there.

ask your graduate director to reach out to other departments and ask if they have any TA positions open. in my own program (history), we've had TAs from religious studies, math, biology.

another option would be to get a non-academic job for a few months. coffee/bar/restaurant gigs can have fairly flexible hours.

Strangelight - I will ask the coordinator if we can do that. Like I said before, it is likely the areas where I would actually be of use already have their TA positions filled. The semester has already started here. But it doesn't hurt to ask them to ask around. I don't know about the bar/restaurant thing. I can't carry a lot of heavy things, so I think that would be hard. I am open to finding a job outside of school. I have to find something that pays well and doesn't require over a certain number of hours. I have to make enough to pay the bills, but I don't want to have to compromise on my classes. I don't want to be set back even more. If that makes sense.

mechnger - I could do biology (zoo, genetics, cell, etc), organic chem (I hate regular chem), and similar areas. I'm sure that these areas already have TAs. As for tutoring, I don't see these pop up very often either.

Don't be so sure! You only know if you contact the departments and ask. You might also check the school of public health, the math department, etc. You may find that someone needs a grader or people are being shuffled around and things open up. And don't count out interdisciplinary studies type stuff either (ie, sociology of science).

ask your graduate director to reach out to other departments and ask if they have any TA positions open. in my own program (history), we've had TAs from religious studies, math, biology.

100% agree with this suggestion. I'm in the social sciences. Once, for a course with 6 TAs, we had 3 different departments/programs represented (sociology, anthro, and Middle Eastern studies, along with our department). Ask around and see what you can find. Also, check and see if Student Affairs has any positions open like in the Student Union or with various centers on campus. Really, even a part-time position is better than nothing so see what you can find.

Strangelight - I will ask. I am just being cautious with the optimism since I don't want to get my hopes up too high. I will look around at the other suggestions you made as well. Most of those types of jobs are minimum wage, so probably not what I'm looking for. If it comes to that, I will probably look outside the university. I wouldn't get tuition waived with those positions, so I might as well look for something that pays better on the outside. If that makes sense. Like I said a few posts back, I found something I might be interested in that pays well. I have to wait to apply though because it requires references at the time you fill out the application and I need to wait until Tuesday to ask people (tomorrow is a holiday, so no one will be around). Thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Edited by robot_hamster

You may need to get a job you don't like. People have been putting themselves through college for a long time. Not everyone can get a TA job, some of us had to work at McDonalds and take an extra year to get through school.

I'm not sure how to interpret this post. I feel like it was a bit condescending. I'm getting impression that you think I feel entitled in some way.

I had/have a job outside of school. I gave up my employment status in order to be a TA. Being a TA paid better and got my tuition waived. It was a better deal, so I took it. I knew I was taking a risk by letting my employment status go, but I had to in order to take the TA position (would have been impossible to TA and work the required hours at the other job). Now I'm sort of stuck because I can't regain my employment status at this other job (was told so, they hired someone else). I am now looking for another job that pays enough to pay the bills and allow me to continue through this semester as planned. I don't want to be set back even further, my graduation has already been pushed back twice because of other circumstances (problems with thesis, etc).

** Edited for clarity reasons.

Edited by robot_hamster

ktel - That is true. I would probably be fine with high school level in a lot of things. I would just have to see what it was they were learning and then go from there.

Good luck. I hate that you are in that tight spot. While you are looking for jobs/seeing your options it could not hurt to post a "MS/HS science tutor" ad on Craigslist. It is free- might as well see if you can get any bites. Consider even dropping off your information at local MS/HS's in their science departments so they might recommend you to student's who have poor grades. Where there is a will there is a way.

You can do this. I know this has to be so hard! Sending positive thoughts your way!