Quality "safety" schools?

Hi everyone.

I know this is an incredibly relative question--and depends wholly on the unique portfolio of the applicant--BUT, in general, what are some high quality English/Comparative Lit "safety" schools? Programs that are perhaps less well known and have more than a 10% acceptance rate and give out decent financial aid packages? My interest is critical theory and 20th century lit if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

First of all, the whole reason a school's acceptance rate is above 10 % is probably because they have less than great financial Aid. UMASS - Amherst comes to mind. I think their stipend is around 14k. CUNY's is around 16k. Still, both are quite good department and fairly competitive. I don't know the exact numbers. Probably many fewer applicants than Brown or NYU, but they are far from safety schools.

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

To reiterate what has been previously said, the "safety" schools might have a 15-20% acceptance rate. Far from safety. Any Ph.D. program is going to be at a good school with good research facilities and professors. I also believe that the reason these schools have a "higher" acceptance rate is simply that they have less applicants. Maybe 150 instead of 500. Still, that is a LOT of people applying for a very small amount of spots. I don't believe that any program is a safety school. I feel like we are all a part of Willy Wonka's master plan. We are SEARCHING for the golden ticket, and when we get it we are going to be licking grapes off the wall!!!

I'm just licking the wall, it sort of looks like ice cream :blink:

No but really. Safety schools? If you excelled at your BA/MA school, then they're probably keen to keep you. I know this is the case for my MA school, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have at least one option :)

Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses.

I figured I get a lot of "there are no safety schools" responses, but I figured I'd still ask.

indalomena, unfortunately my BA school doesn't have a graduate program so I can't rely on that.

Guess I will just continue the hunt...