2 year MSW applications to Albany, Hunter, & Fordham, Fall 2012

michelenancy

Kill me now? How long does it take? This rolling admissions thing is brutal. Anybody got a clue how long this panic attack that grad schools are forcing me to go through will last? (What I really mean is whats the typical wait time to hear from these schools?)

Also, if anyone who has been accepted, also applied, and/or went to these schools what your stats were like? GPA, extra-curicular, work experience, etc.

I'm going bat shit here.

Unfortunately I can only tell you that I too am freaking out with you. I did not apply to any of the schools you did. I have applied to 8 programs and only heard back from one yesterday (waitlisted). I believe on average schools take around 6-8 weeks but I'm starting to doubt that as many of my apps were in late Nov! Good luck

8! Holy moly. Expensive.. My hunter app alone cost me 125$.. Absurd.

I was actually going to apply to 4, the other being Adelphi (crap school for people who can't get into a decent school and pay out the nose for it), but I figured I could make it at least into Fordham (about 50% acceptance rate, plus one of my letters came from a phd grad from there and another letter from a former prof there, and its still cheaper than Adelphi).. So I figure that's probably my crap option school. GUH...

Where did you apply?

Wow! Willing to travel! I wish. I'm a young adult now with a home and about to be married. And his career is here, hence my local applications. But if it's any consolation, I did tons of research on Columbia and NYU, as they were initially on my list, and they are really easy to get into as long as you're willing to fork out the dough. We actually had an open forum with grad schools where I am completing my undergrad, with reps from those two schools, along with schools I intended on applying to. The one downside, (that they even admitted to), was that the big ivy league school name isn't important in social work, unless you intend on a dual phd or jd degree, or eventually working towards those.

Take it easy! Submit the application early doesn't mean you will get reply early. Generally speaking the school will not open your package until application deadline (or at least they will keep an open mind about decision). There's exception though, like SUNY Buffalo offer me admission before their application deadline (March 1). So just check your email regularly. Meanwhile I guess you really want to check out all the professors in detail in all the school you chose so you can prepare for interview.