Acceptances/Rejections/Decisions

sociology27

I've brought this topic up before, but since we have more people reading/participating, I'd like to ask again: Does coming from a non-sociology background with no MA significantly decrease your chances of admissions? I'm coming from Poli Sci and Econ. I've learned a difficult language and definitely have the "stats" for a great program. I also believe I picked really good fits. My LORs are probably so-so, and none of the profs are sociology. So I guess I'm just concerned my lack of sociology background is gonna really hurt me--in both the top top ranked programs, and those in the 30s-50s. Thoughts???? Don't be gentle, I need brutal truth right now.

From what you've described, in my opinion, the only thing that may "hurt" your admissions is the "probably so-so" LOR's. Political science and economics are both strongly linked with sociology-everyone knows that. You could craft a good statement based upon your background and make perfect sense to a sociologist. Moreover on LOR's, how are you supposed to establish really strong connections with your professors as an undergrad? I always had the impression that they were too busy for me.

The nice thing about sociology is that you can study basically anything. We wouldn't necessarily, for example, do cancer research, what we would study the people, institutions, technologies, fundings, and policies that do.

I think it's easy to get trapped in the "well s/he got in, so will I?" game, but it's sooo ineffective. Granted, I am guilty, too, but, based on what I've seen on here and heard in conversation, each application is so different in terms of its strengths and weaknesses. People are getting into programs with lower GPAs than me or GREs but they may have awesome research ideas, or better LORs or maybe just the committee was in a great mood reading their application. I would say, as difficult as it is, try to let each application stand on its own.

I teach middle school, so I'm getting used to (slowly) realizing how little logic there is in my classroom. Maybe this is also true for the grad application process?

Thanks for the advice. I was actually really specific with my research ideas in my SOP (possibly too specific?). I also tried to play up the sociological nature of some of my other classes, and explain in one sentence why I made the shift. I'm not too worried about my SOP or that they're going to say, "he has no idea what sociologists do." I'm just slightly concerned that the fact that I've only taken one sociology class and that my LORs are not high profile profs (much less high profile sociology profs) is going to be the swing factor in my case. But I suppose there's no use in worrying now.

God grant me the...

And so on.

I applied last year and sent emails out to all the schools (read: all) where I didn't get in, and one prof wrote back saying I wasn't specific enough in my description of my research interests. She said that, even if you change your research question, adcoms want to see that you know how to structure a research question & project. So, I think you're golden if you're feeling like you went too specific.

Also, I question the importance of having well-known recommenders. I know it's great if you do have them, but how many of us went to liberal arts colleges, where it's pretty rare to have sociologists making ground-breaking research? My recommenders are great and wonderful as teachers, researchers, and the like, but 2 of them are young and not that extensive in terms of writing (yet). If that's a drawback, I think I'll be okay with not getting into grad school (well, let's be honest - probably not but I'd be madder at them than myself!) because it shouldn't be about name-dropping, in my opinion. You can become a great researcher and scholar at a lower-ranked school, in my opinion.

This whole process drives me mad, though!!

Also, I question the importance of having well-known recommenders. I know it's great if you do have them, but how many of us went to liberal arts colleges, where it's pretty rare to have sociologists making ground-breaking research? My recommenders are great and wonderful as teachers, researchers, and the like, but 2 of them are young and not that extensive in terms of writing (yet). If that's a drawback, I think I'll be okay with not getting into grad school

It's not a "draw back" on an application to have letters from people that aren't "well-known" in the field. It is just an extra "one up" so to say to have letters from someone who is known.

By all means, it doesn't hurt anyone for having letters from people adcomm's dont know....it just helps if you do.It's sort of like having someone you know and trust vouch for someone else.

I applied last year and sent emails out to all the schools (read: all) where I didn't get in, and one prof wrote back saying I wasn't specific enough in my description of my research interests. She said that, even if you change your research question, adcoms want to see that you know how to structure a research question & project. So, I think you're golden if you're feeling like you went too specific.

@kbirch... this part was exactly what my friends already in programs told me too... the importance of being specific and structuring a well-thought through research question and project. Apparently, not having this, or having a poorly thought through one, was an immediate dismissal from consideration in their adcoms, no matter how high someone's GRE scores were.

How long was everyone's SOPs when not given a limit? I think mine was longer than most peoples, but I think I filled it substantially. It was 2 pages, single spaced...

Mine varied between 1 1/2 - 2 pages depending on how much I wrote for my last paragraph (the why I want to attend your university paragraph).

I wish I had an opportunity to go back and re-do some of my statements and write about 2 or 3 different professors for each. I mainly, for most programs, just listed one specific person and then mentioned how my interests were well represented in the program blabalbla. I didn't expect adcomm's to only associate you with you who mentioned and if that person was full be like "nope sorry".

My longest was 2 1/2 double spaced pages, although I got my NYU to 2 pages double spaced. I had to do some formatting to get everything on two pages because I was sentence over the two pages.

@Doberman - I wouldn't freak out yet (at least about not getting in... I can't stop freaking out about the process itself!) because I feel like a lot of time the applications are viewed and assessed in waves. Chances are, they're only halfway through or have more debate happening.

Good luck!

Any news from Wisconsin Madison yet? Seems last year they send acceptance decision on the last monday of Jan but my status is still pending. Is it a bad news for me?

I think we'll be hearing back tomorrow or Wednesday. I would have checked but... I need to dig up my Wisconsin log-in ASAP. With each of the schools having their own separate usernames/log-ins, it's impossible for me to keep track...

Augh - someone just posted that they were waitlisted at Berkeley! I thought they had to do acceptances before waitlists!

The worst part is I'm fairly certain that the demography department operates on a different timeline than sociology.