In contrast with previous years, there does not seem to be much Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations activity on the forum. I doubt that this is because there's less interest than usual or fewer applicants, so maybe it would be a good idea if everyone in the field came together in this thread to share what we're applying for.

I've applied to a number of Ancient Near East PhD programs, generally Assyriology related. It's a niche subject, so I'd be delighted if there's anyone else out there with similar interests.

Anyone else?

I think a lot of the lack of activity has to do with the fact that the field is fiercely competitive. They are all reading GradCafe but no one wants to help the competition by posting. It's quite sad really.

Do you think the field is competitive to the point that it discourages discussion even after all of the applications have been submitted and all we're doing now is waiting on results? That would be a sad reflection on the prevailing state of affairs.

Surely the whole point of the forum is to allay collective anxieties and lend a helping hand to people in predicaments more or less identical to our own? If Tiglath-Pileser - that mighty conqueror of long lost lands - is right, and there is a multitude of silent NELCies out there, maybe we'd all benefit from sharing?

Afterall, it's too late to do anything about our applications now, and it might help us to realistically appraise the playing field if we had more information by which to judge it. Share please, ye lurkers!

By the way, are you an aspiring Assyriologist too, Tiglath? And what's your specialty, Khayzuran?

I also would have assumed the Near East (along with East Asian) studies would be the most popular of the area studies, so the fact there is no peep at all is disquieting. :ph34r: It is sad, since I found the threads from last year immensely helpful. The fact there might be hordes of competition makes me nervous.

My interests are in the modern Middle East, especially in the social sciences approach to post-colonial historical developments in North Africa. I also have a fascination with Islamic sciences and social history of the Abbasid caliphate, though it's mostly reading for leisure as I don't really see myself cut out as a historian. The job prospects of being a niche academic worries me.

Anyways, glad to see other souls in the NELC area!

Edited by Khayzuran

hey everyone -

the lack of posts probably has something to do with the late creation of the thread. someone should have started a Near Eastern Studies 2012 thread back in December.

Harvard had its faculty meeting last week to discuss applications.

good luck!

Hey,

My research interests lie in critical and postcolonial theory (Spivak, Derrida, Said) anchored in the modern Arabic novel (esp. Hoda Barakat, Elias Khoury and Idwar al-Kharrat). I am especially interested in the decolonization of aesthetics and global narratives. I applied to MESAAS at Columbia and MTL at Stanford. Columbia is my first choice though, anyone else apply? If so, what's your 'sense' of the department (now that pressure is low with applications out and attempts to regain composure by reconsidering EVERYTHING is high; seems like the best time to comment)?

Good luck to all; come april, I am sure you will be rejecting departments as well--it works both ways.

What's the word? Who are the UT acceptances? Congrats!!

My "sense" of Columbia is that they pretty much reject everyone, especially if you work in the contemporary. But I've also heard they love Said enthusiasts (naturally) so maybe it's a really good fit for you!

I kept hearing that Columbia doesn't like contemporaries. But look at their professor bios - almost all of them do post-colonial work (seems like Palestine is a hot topic), and almost no one does ancient. So :blink: ...?

Yes, Columbia is competitive and "they pretty much reject everyone." I spoke to Muhsin al-Musawi about my research proposal--he liked it but then added "I wonder how you will do in the admissions process." Also, judging by the current dissertation topics listed on the website, many students are involved in pre-modern case studies of historical events. On the other hand, those dissertations conjoined with the Institute for Comparative Literature and Society are contemporary and theoretical in approach, generally.

Edited by marruma

True, to both marruma and khayzuran. I think though they do modern and post modern, but not so much contemporary. Where did you apply, khazuran, btw?

I'm actually a masters candidate. I didn't get involved with NELC stuff until later in college, and I wanted to get more training in language as well as complete a thesis, before I give my best shot at a PhD later on. So I'm eyeing schools like Georgetown, NYU, and a couple of Ivy reaches.

I'm actually a masters candidate. I didn't get involved with NELC stuff until later in college, and I wanted to get more training in language as well as complete a thesis, before I give my best shot at a PhD later on. So I'm eyeing schools like Georgetown, NYU, and a couple of Ivy reaches.

I'm in the masters group, too! I applied to mostly Euro programs, but I applied to Harvard's MES program because of its emphasis on the Maghreb and France.

Hey fellow nes-ers! Quick question for you all: the deadline for FLAS applications has not yet passed for two of my schools, but I don't know if I should apply. I am applying to phd programs. Does it make sense to apply before you're even admitted into the program, or do you have a higher chance of receiving the FLAS fellowship after you've already spent a year there? on the other hand, will grad adcoms look more favorably on my application if they see that I might also get FLAS? I don't really understand how this would work: if it's a five year program, they'd either way have to make sure there is some kind of funding for those five years, it's not like they can rely on me actually receiving it each year right? GAH I'm so confused and tired and kljdfdfjsdjklf when will this be over??

Hey fellow nes-ers! Quick question for you all: the deadline for FLAS applications has not yet passed for two of my schools, but I don't know if I should apply. I am applying to phd programs. Does it make sense to apply before you're even admitted into the program, or do you have a higher chance of receiving the FLAS fellowship after you've already spent a year there? on the other hand, will grad adcoms look more favorably on my application if they see that I might also get FLAS? I don't really understand how this would work: if it's a five year program, they'd either way have to make sure there is some kind of funding for those five years, it's not like they can rely on me actually receiving it each year right? GAH I'm so confused and tired and kljdfdfjsdjklf when will this be over??

I applied to MA programs last year at various schools and did not apply for FLAS awards. After I got accepted into a couple of programs, I realized that I didn't want to go too far in debt. I have been instructed by a couple of different programs to apply for FLAS even before being accepted because you still have a chance of getting it, even as an incoming student. I am in the process of doing this right now as well. Hope this helps and good luck!

Hey everyone,

New to the forums, my first post, though i've been lurking for awhile.

My 0.02$ -

> I got an informal email from the prof i want to work with @ Chicago NELC saying I was accepted for the PhD program with full funding. He said there would follow an invitation for a one-day visit with accepted applicants Feb 27th. If they don't send rejections concurrently it must mean that they have short-listed applicants, right?

> Princeton - i spoke to an admin a few weeks back and he said short-listed applicants receive invites Feb 7th (today :)) I also received an email from this same admin with the chair CCed asking me if i were to be invited, what country I would be coming from... this is probably because I listed two countries in my application - Canada and a country in the Middle East. I am currently in the Middle East, and had to tell them that obviously. I hope that doesn't decrease my chances for being invited since Princeton apparently covers most of the expenses for the two day visit (this year Fri/Sat 24/25 of February). Anyways, I think i'm set on Chicago [unless Harvard makes an offer] so not sure i'll make the trip all the way to New Jersey if i'm invited... not sure... still waiting for the details on funding etc. from Chicago before applying.

Okay all the best to everyone and looking forward to seeing this thread fill up :)

mimiuchi

Edited by mimiuchi

spoke too soon... i just received an email from the Princeton chair of NES inviting me to the weekend visit. Anyone else get an email?

Not sure if it's worth traveling back to the US if i think Chicago is a better fit... especially since i just arrived in the Middle East a week ago and have been between two countries already :S But i hear Princeton provides the best funding among all NES programs... so if Chicago's funding is a little weak, Princeton might be a better option?

Any thoughts?

Princeton's program is very prestigious - perhaps the most prestigious - when it comes to the modern Middle East, so I certainly would not rule them out if I were you. Congratulations in any case, mimiuchi, you are truly facing dilemmas of luxury, which are the very best sort of dilemmas to have. Well done.

On a separate note, would anyone care to claim the Egyptology and Ancient Western Asian Studies interview at Brown and provide more details? Like subfield? Thanks and congratulations on securing the interview!

spoke too soon... i just received an email from the Princeton chair of NES inviting me to the weekend visit. Anyone else get an email?

Not sure if it's worth traveling back to the US if i think Chicago is a better fit... especially since i just arrived in the Middle East a week ago and have been between two countries already :S But i hear Princeton provides the best funding among all NES programs... so if Chicago's funding is a little weak, Princeton might be a better option?

Any thoughts?

I am wondering if Princeton informed the short-listed all at once? In that case i think i am rejected by them....

it is really tough to go through this and i am quite down since i already got two rejections by now. it seems that i have no hope to be admitted to any other programs...i don't know if i should start to look for MA programs in Europe or Britain. maybe some of them are still open to application. anyone has suggestions? for a normal chinese student it is impossible to afford the US MA programs without funding and Europe and Britain is probably cheaper?