spoke too soon... i just received an email from the Princeton chair of NES inviting me to the weekend visit. Anyone else get an email?

Not sure if it's worth traveling back to the US if i think Chicago is a better fit... especially since i just arrived in the Middle East a week ago and have been between two countries already :S But i hear Princeton provides the best funding among all NES programs... so if Chicago's funding is a little weak, Princeton might be a better option?

Any thoughts?

btw, if i were you i will definitely go to Princeton and talk with the profs who you want to work with in the future. it is a precious chance and even though they said 'whether you go for the campus visit won't affect the final decision', I really doubt it... it will never be a better chance to know a student than talking face-to-face with him.

spoke too soon... i just received an email from the Princeton chair of NES inviting me to the weekend visit. Anyone else get an email?

Not sure if it's worth traveling back to the US if i think Chicago is a better fit... especially since i just arrived in the Middle East a week ago and have been between two countries already :S But i hear Princeton provides the best funding among all NES programs... so if Chicago's funding is a little weak, Princeton might be a better option?

Any thoughts?

Wow, if you did get invited to NES at Princeton that is a big deal. One of the faculty members told me personally that last year they had 144 applicants, shortlisted 18, and chose only 4.

I am curious to know these stats about NELC and SALC at U of Chicago.

good luck with the interview!

My area is also ancient Near East, though I am in ancient Israel and NW Semitics. I've seen a few results posts from people in these areas (UMich; Emory; UChicago). Has anyone heard from anywhere else? I got accepted at Wisconsin-Madison in the Hebrew and Semitic Studies PhD program, but it's 8 years and funding is dodgy. So, I'm not sold yet. I got rejected from UT-Austin, but Jo Ann Hackett had already told me that I needed more language work (I didn't switch to HB/ANE until grad school). So, I wasn't surprised. Emory (GDR) sent invites to their interview weekend mid-January. I didn't receive an invite. So, I've pretty much been rejected from there as well, which is fine considering it's not a NELC department and it was apparent that it wasn't the best fit for my interests when I visited.

UCLA is my top choice, but they had a larger than usual incoming group last year. When I visited, my two POIs suggested that it was going to be really tough this application year, which seems to be even worse now that every program is reporting record applications this year. Has anyone heard from UCLA? I've avoided contacting Schniedewind, mostly because I don't want to be bothersome. Any advice?

Obviously my candor might show my "hand" a little too much, but I don't really care. Ideally the academic community would be willing to support one another, despite the tough competition. Though, as the earlier posters noted, it doesn't seem to be going that way as much this year.

Hi! I also study the ancient Near East, specifically Egypt. I applied to Hopkins, Penn, Brown, Berkeley and UCLA (though for UCLA's gen archaeology program). Has anyone heard from any of them? It is always so hard to tell in NES because we all have such diverse specialities and I wonder how acceptances are split up within the department..? I have not heard from ANY of them yet and I am slowly going crazy, but misery loves company, so I'm glad I'm not the only on waiting on pins and needles.

Good luck everyone!! :)

Princeton's program is very prestigious - perhaps the most prestigious - when it comes to the modern Middle East, so I certainly would not rule them out if I were you. Congratulations in any case, mimiuchi, you are truly facing dilemmas of luxury, which are the very best sort of dilemmas to have. Well done.

On a separate note, would anyone care to claim the Egyptology and Ancient Western Asian Studies interview at Brown and provide more details? Like subfield? Thanks and congratulations on securing the interview!

I'm wondering about the Brown interview as well. I'm wondering if it was maybe a specific question from a POI? Or maybe I'm just trying to avoid the fact that I was not invited and am utterly heartbroken :(

I'm wondering about the Brown interview as well. I'm wondering if it was maybe a specific question from a POI? Or maybe I'm just trying to avoid the fact that I was not invited and am utterly heartbroken :(

I think (and hope) it's premature for heartbreak! I've yet to hear from most of the places you listed - it seems NELC programs are just being particularly slow this year. Best of luck in any case, and keep your spirits up. There could well be good news to come!

Hi! I also study the ancient Near East, specifically Egypt. I applied to Hopkins, Penn, Brown, Berkeley and UCLA (though for UCLA's gen archaeology program). Has anyone heard from any of them? It is always so hard to tell in NES because we all have such diverse specialities and I wonder how acceptances are split up within the department..? I have not heard from ANY of them yet and I am slowly going crazy, but misery loves company, so I'm glad I'm not the only on waiting on pins and needles.

Berkeley typically sends out acceptances earlier than any other NELC school, and I think no news by now is not a good sign. Same for Brown, which sends out all of its interview weekend invitations at once (not all of whom will be admitted). Hopkins typically notifies by the end of February. Response times for UCLA vary. Penn is notoriously late about responding, and I would not expect a decision before (mid-)March.

Where have you all applied and for what? I'm interested in contemp Iranian lit and applied to ut austin, uc berekely, uchicago, uarizona, and haven't heard from anywhere (though i guess it's still early). It's SO stressful waiting!

refresh refresh, did you hear from UT yet? I'm into Iranian studies with a strong sociology bent towards family/diaspora issues (whatever the hell that means, still trying to figure it out), and I just got my acceptance to the CMES there. It might end up being the only place I get in, so I'm trying to decide what to do now.

Hey all,

I just realized this forum as I was hanging out in History forum for a long time. My research interests lie in the religio/intellectual history of the Ottoman Empire, and medieval Anatolian beyliks. In fact, since I did not get a good score on GRE and I've been too late to prepare my apps, I applied to a few schools, one of which already rejected my app. I am still looking forward to hear back from the University of Toronto. I'll apply to Oxford and SOAS as well. Did anyone else here apply to Toronto? I think someone posted his/her acceptance on the results board. But I suppose there are two rounds of acceptances. I don't know, I got sick of f5'ing.

refresh refresh, did you hear from UT yet? I'm into Iranian studies with a strong sociology bent towards family/diaspora issues (whatever the hell that means, still trying to figure it out), and I just got my acceptance to the CMES there. It might end up being the only place I get in, so I'm trying to decide what to do now.

CONGRATS!!! No word yet, though I applied to comp lit. Still though, no word by now is an implicit rejection. Oh well. Who did you want to work with at austin I had put ghanoonparvar. Where else did you apply? Are you doing phd or masters? Good luck everywhere else!

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I called the Brown Egyptology program today and was told that the interview invites have already gone out. Just as I was about to accept rejection, the woman on the phone said "the first round anyway", so I'm assuming there is a second round? either that or they enjoy trying to keep that little bit of hope alive only to crush our dreams.

Just thought I'd let you guys know, I called the Brown Egyptology program today and was told that the interview invites have already gone out. Just as I was about to accept rejection, the woman on the phone said "the first round anyway", so I'm assuming there is a second round? either that or they enjoy trying to keep that little bit of hope alive only to crush our dreams.

Thanks for sharing, agripley - I hope you get your invitation soon!

By the way, are you an aspiring Assyriologist too, Tiglath? And what's your specialty, Khayzuran?

No, actually I'm an Egyptologist. My specialty is Ramesside Egypt. Although I did name my pet rabbit "Tiglath-Pileser III"--only an archaeologist would do something like this. I had an interview yesterday from the University of Liverpool and received an acceptance into the PhD program from them today. To say that I am thrilled is an understatement. This is my ultimate dream school.

No, actually I'm an Egyptologist. My specialty is Ramesside Egypt. Although I did name my pet rabbit "Tiglath-Pileser III"--only an archaeologist would do something like this. I had an interview yesterday from the University of Liverpool and received an acceptance into the PhD program from them today. To say that I am thrilled is an understatement. This is my ultimate dream school.

A massive congratulations to you! It must be a great relief to finally hear some positive news and be able to take your life forward in the direction you've wanted to! Best of luck in Liverpool.

Hi everyone. I'm going to apply later this year for Fall 2013 start, and right now I'm getting ready to prepare myself for the GRE etc..

Obviously I will make an application to both, but I'm wondering who you consider to be better for Egyptology: Yale or Brown?

Congratulations Khayzuran! Are you an international applicant or American? I don't know when I will receive any letter, since I live in Turkey.

Thanks and best of luck to you bounban! I am American and lives nearby. International mail could take a while, and snail mail is all I got from them.

Hi everyone. I'm going to apply later this year for Fall 2013 start, and right now I'm getting ready to prepare myself for the GRE etc..

Obviously I will make an application to both, but I'm wondering who you consider to be better for Egyptology: Yale or Brown?

Please note that opinions like this should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. The measure of a department is who is teaching there and what you want to specialize in. Others might have a different opinion, but I tend to favor Brown for Egyptology.

I've gotten accepted into the MA program at Harvard, UT Austin, and Chicago so far. While I was pretty thrilled to get into Harvard they do not offer funding for MA students there so I probably won't go. I was wondering what other people have heard of these programs. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools but right now I'm leaning in favor of UT Austin. I'm currently a student at the University of Utah and have been told by a professor (who would defintely know) at the U of Utah that UT Austin is a top notch school for Middle East Studies, especially for the modern Middle east which I most want to study. This professor actually said that although Harvard is great he thinks UT Austin probably has the better program.

Anyone else here familiar with the program at UT Austin and how it stacks up against the competition?