UT Austin is probably one of the best Middle East programs, especially where languages are concerned. I know it's an up and coming department and their reputation is only strengthened by the fact that Jo Ann Hackett (Hebrew Bible) and John Huehnergard (Semitic Philology) left Harvard to teach there (and I suspect, to help restructure the HB program).

Harvard is okay, but they are notoriously classical in NELC. CMES is interdisciplinary, so you can mix methods, but Texas ultimately (in my opinion) has the better curricula (in general). Honestly, you can't go wrong with Harvard, Chicago Princeton, or Texas.

Anyone else here familiar with the program at UT Austin and how it stacks up against the competition?

I applied to UT-Austin for the HB/ANE program in MELC. As tt503 suggested, the department is up and coming with regard to the Hebrew Bible and the ancient Near East program. However, you always have to consider credential and curricula when deciding on a department. Although at present the curricula at UT-Austin might be stronger than Harvard (which I believe is true), the credential of Harvard is nearly at the top of the top tier institutions. I'm not saying that it is unanimously declared the best option for all departments or areas of study, but its reputation in the academic community is superb. tt503 was also correct in suggesting that Harvard's department is traditionally classical in its focus.

I spoke with Hackett about her and her husband's (Heuhnergard) move from Harvard to UT-Austin. She suggested it was mostly due to the fact that UT-Austin has committed itself to becoming a first-rate institution in all programs, including the humanities. In the present economic climate, this is an obviously rare determination. While most institutions are cutting funding from the humanities (not the money-maker department at any institution), UT-Austin is investing in the humanities. I think UT-Austin is well on its way from being a very good MELC program to being an excellent one. I'm not sure how long it is going to take for UT-Austin's credential to catch up to its curricula, but with the determination that the university is currently showing, I do not believe it will be long.

Having made these comments about the department in general, I will say that with Hackett at the helm I believe that the department will continue adding focus in the area of ancient studies. Indeed, they are still adding faculty in this area. So, you should scrutinize the faculty in your specific area of study to get a better idea of how the department can serve you.

Generally speaking, I agree with tt503: if you're choosing between Harvard, Chicago, Princeton and UT-Austin, you're going to be in an excellent department wherever you end up.

Hey all!

I applied to...a bunch of schools (Cornell, UPenn, UChicago, Brown, Brandeis, Catholic University of America, Hebrew Union College, University of Toronto, and Johns Hopkins).

I was accepted to CUA, which I'm extremely excited about because it is the only Semitics department in the US. I haven't heard about funding yet, though. Apparently they don't send out that info until the end of March. Anyone know how much they typically give? What's funny about CUA is if I'm rejected by Johns Hopkins, I would still take classes there because these two schools pair together sometimes...

I was rejected by Cornell, Toronto, and Chicago. I was accepted to Brandeis' Master's program, but I wasn't offered enough money, and I honestly can't afford to take out any other loans.

Anyone know when I should expect to hear from Johns Hopkins?

I wonder if anyone heard anything from the NES program at the University of Arizona? I accidentally discovered that I was "recommended for admission" after randomly logging into my application. Grad school is supposed to get back to me with an official offer (hopefully) within 4-6 weeks, but you can't really tell when that information was posted.

Hey all!

I applied to...a bunch of schools (Cornell, UPenn, UChicago, Brown, Brandeis, Catholic University of America, Hebrew Union College, University of Toronto, and Johns Hopkins).

I was accepted to CUA, which I'm extremely excited about because it is the only Semitics department in the US. I haven't heard about funding yet, though. Apparently they don't send out that info until the end of March. Anyone know how much they typically give? What's funny about CUA is if I'm rejected by Johns Hopkins, I would still take classes there because these two schools pair together sometimes...

I was rejected by Cornell, Toronto, and Chicago. I was accepted to Brandeis' Master's program, but I wasn't offered enough money, and I honestly can't afford to take out any other loans.

Anyone know when I should expect to hear from Johns Hopkins?

I think Johns Hopkins should be sending out decisions either this week or next.

I've gotten accepted into the MA program at Harvard, UT Austin, and Chicago so far. While I was pretty thrilled to get into Harvard they do not offer funding for MA students there so I probably won't go. I was wondering what other people have heard of these programs. I'm still waiting to hear back from other schools but right now I'm leaning in favor of UT Austin. I'm currently a student at the University of Utah and have been told by a professor (who would defintely know) at the U of Utah that UT Austin is a top notch school for Middle East Studies, especially for the modern Middle east which I most want to study. This professor actually said that although Harvard is great he thinks UT Austin probably has the better program.

Anyone else here familiar with the program at UT Austin and how it stacks up against the competition?

First of all congratulations dltwlf18! You are accepted by three amazing MA programs and yours seems to be a difficult decision to make right now. I applied to MA programs at Harvard, Princeton and UT Austin, and unfortunately got rejections from three of them. :( Of course Harvard is a super brand, but if you think academically, I believe that UT Austin and Chicago are much better choices. One of my professors, who did her PhD at Harvard, told me that for Middle East and Sociology Chicago is the best in the US. I am angry with myself that I fell for Harvard's name and not applied to Chicago, but I will certainly apply for PhD at U Chicago next time.

About UT Austin I can say that I spent there five weeks in summer 2010 and liked it there a lot! The program I attended was in LBJ School of Public Affairs, however I got in contact with several faculty members at both Middle Eastern Studies and Sociology Department. The university is really very cool and faculty members are so lovely. Also I need to say that Austin is a very liberal city, which I have never expected at all before I went there. I agree with others that UT Austin has a quite good Middle Eastern Studies language education and modern Middle East curriculum. While I was applying to these three programs, UT Austin was my top choice. However, after my discussion with the professor, I would recommend you U Chicago over both Harvard and UT Austin (unless you consider weather conditions :)). Anyway I wish you best of luck with the decision, all of them are indeed great programs.

Really? Did they interview? What was their subfield?

I don't know if they interviewed (I assume they did). I just know that they were making a decision between two programs and JHU was one of the programs.

Michigan interviews and notifies early; no news at this point is likely bad news. Penn is notoriously slow...acceptances are sent out by late March, if I recall, but rejected students can be notified as late as April. Odds at Penn in your field are slim to none without at least a year of Akkadian or Egyptian.

Edited by Ardea

UPenn has made their decisions. If you call the NELC department and ask they will let you know. I just called this morning to inquire, and was told I was rejected.

Sorry to hear about UPenn. Do you still have any applications out?

Does anyone know if Catholic University of America gives significant funding to it's PhD students? I'm in the dark till the end of the month...

I was admitted a couple of years ago to CUA's Semitic dept. They didn't offer me funding through the department and said that it would have to be institutional funding, where you're put in competition with everyone else from other departments, and takes awhile. I did not receive funding through them, and although the department responded (vaguely) to my emails (basically saying "we're not responsible for this"), having to go through the graduate school to get any info was kind of a nightmare.

Edited by tt503

I was admitted a couple of years ago to CUA's Semitic dept. They didn't offer me funding through the department and said that it would have to be institutional funding, where you're put in competition with everyone else from other departments, and takes awhile. I did not receive funding through them, and although the department responded (vaguely) to my emails (basically saying "we're not responsible for this"), having to go through the graduate school to get any info was kind of a nightmare.

How did it turn out?

I withdrew my application, but some people wait until July to hear about funding if they are on the waitlist.

I spoke w/ someone there today. I haven't received a full-tuition remission, but I am at the first on the list should someone back out. Here's hoping!!