I personally know of two people who were offered acceptances to Chicago NELC last week, one internal (as in a CMES student) and one external.  Their subfields are not archaeology/any kind of ancient stuff.  However, I also know of people who have simply not heard anything one way or the other, and I'm not sure whether the accepted students heard officially from the department or unofficially from their POIs.  Anyway.  That's what little "insider" information I have.

Yes, it is. It's pushy to demand a response before late March at the earliest.

Understandable but interesting.

30-50 applications for one sub-field (sometimes the whole department, depending on its size) and it takes at least 2 months to hear a word. Some programs may have 500 applicants (chemistry, physics, for example) and people hear back by mid-January. The best explanation I've ever heard is that they have to read the writing samples while natural sciences program committees don't need to do that, which is about 1000 double-spaced pages, comparable to a week's reading assignment. 

The later it is, the harder it gets to make plans for the summer and next year. 

Understandable but interesting.

30-50 applications for one sub-field (sometimes the whole department, depending on its size) and it takes at least 2 months to hear a word. Some programs may have 500 applicants (chemistry, physics, for example) and people hear back by mid-January. The best explanation I've ever heard is that they have to read the writing samples while natural sciences program committees don't need to do that, which is about 1000 double-spaced pages, comparable to a week's reading assignment. 

The later it is, the harder it gets to make plans for the summer and next year. 

And maybe natural sciences programs have more objective standards? 

Crickets over here, my goodness. Who's claiming the UCLA acceptance?

at least a friend of mine, also a classmate, got accepted by the archaeology program and is visiting the campus next week. 

Edited by la sarar

About U of Chicago,

on the ancient side, so far I personally know of 3 acceptances, two comparative semitics and one archaeology. apparently they hold they prospective students day on Mar. 4th.  

Therefore, I'm officially losing hope. Perhaps cuneiform studies and NWS/HB also notified someone who is either unaware of this website or for some reason doesn't care to report their results. Only two weeks before the prospective (admitted) students day and they still don't notify students in certain fields? Possible but to me it's quite unlikely. 

UT Austin seems to have made their decisions via website. I didn't apply this time but a friend told me. No email notification before that. So you guys might want to check the website.

Ive also been in contact with Mr. Justh at Austin, he said they were sending things out starting Monday the 18th. I assume they will be staggering acceptances throughout the week.

Grats, Tynan! :D

Chicago Div School results are coming out, it seems. Grats to acceptees!

Regarding Chicago ancient fields, if my information is correct, then there are three "unaccounted for" students who have been accepted. Chicago took three cuneiform and la sarar reports two comp. sem. and one archaeology, and as far as I understand, ancients only took nine total this year for the PhD programs.

Edited by kaputzing

Regarding Chicago ancient fields, if my information is correct, then there are three "unaccounted for" students who have been accepted. Chicago took three cuneiform and la sarar reports two comp. sem. and one archaeology, and as far as I understand, ancients only took nine total this year for the PhD programs.

So the other three "unaccounted for" are (at least partially) HB/NWS?

It is hard to imagine that Pardee hasn't informed the accepted students yet. He is usually very on top of things. But thank you for the information.

It is hard to imagine that Pardee hasn't informed the accepted students yet. He is usually very on top of things. But thank you for the information.

Maybe he did and it's the students who didn't report the results on this forum. 

In fact, none of my three friends who got admitted reported their results. It's only me gossiping time and again. So this could always be the case.

btw, Harvard has made a list and the GSAS is going to review the nominees. 

As I reported in the Religion thread: U of Chicago Divinity has sent out all acceptances for the HB program. So anyone who hasn't heard a word is rejected. 

Yup, unless HB/NWS didn't take anyone this year. (Possible, but I find it unlikely.)

And they were notified already?

Edited by la sarar

I confirmed with Prof. Pardee that all acceptances have been sent out at approximately the same time (not sure how true that is since archaeology results were sent out a week before comparative semitics), so whoever has not received an email is rejected by U of Chicago.

Not my top choice but still not happy.