Teaching experience: How much of an asset is it for PhD apps?

I know institutional preferences will vary, but I'm wondering if anyone has insight into how much of a boon it is for one to teach, say, at a state/community college before applying to PhD programs.

I've been at it for a couple semesters now, and I'm wondering if my time and effort will be rewarded (beyond the daily rewards of teaching, of course) when I seek admission this fall.

Do you know of any institutions that frown on prior classroom experience? Do you know any that either require or all but require it? Thanks, as always, for whatever input you can offer.

Granted, I'm in a different field, but my experience was that it fell in the middle. I didn't run across any that frowned upon it, or required it- but most places thought it was a nice addition that I'd taught some already, it meant they could much more easily throw me into TAing my first year.

Thanks for the response -- that's what I was guessing. I have also been wondering, though, if prior teaching experience preempts one from having to take the (usually) requisite "Teaching College Writing" course(s)... because that'd be awesome. Any ideas, others?

Thanks for the response -- that's what I was guessing. I have also been wondering, though, if prior teaching experience preempts one from having to take the (usually) requisite "Teaching College Writing" course(s)... because that'd be awesome. Any ideas, others?

I doubt it. I have a BS in English/education, five years of high school teaching experience, and three semesters of teaching freshmen comp. I wasn't exempt from that course at either my MA or PhD schools. Honestly, though, it's best NOT to be exempt from it. Teaching is such a wide open field, and there are so many different approaches to it. No matter how much experience you have, it's always interesting/beneficial to learn from other people who may have a different take on it.

My guess would be that the same schools that choose not to take kids with MAs already in hand would not be impressed or swayed by teaching experience - the kind of schools that want to mold you from the start.

I do know, for a fact, that UTAustin encourages applicants with teaching experience, and they offer the possibility of starting undergraduate teaching at the second pay-grade or tier. Somebody who knows more about it can elucidate further.

My guess would be that the same schools that choose not to take kids with MAs already in hand would not be impressed or swayed by teaching experience - the kind of schools that want to mold you from the start.

I do know, for a fact, that UTAustin encourages applicants with teaching experience, and they offer the possibility of starting undergraduate teaching at the second pay-grade or tier. Somebody who knows more about it can elucidate further.

This is certainly true. UT always seems to be a school that offers substantial funding. The comp lit program doesn't cover full tuition reimbursement but they allow all students the in-state rate, for which they offer "tuition assistance"; I did the math and it means paying about 1K a semester. However, they also offer opps for TA positions that pay $1955-3696 a month with a "health sharing benefit." What they pay TAing undergrads with only a BA is about on par with what most states pay beginning teachers. Not too shabby, especially considering that there is no income tax in TX. I am not sure if such an arrangement is the standard for all departments, though.

On an interesting sidenote, one of my undergrad profs stated that a lot of programs that are switching to the only-PhD route are also are switching to a system that does not allow teaching until the student has acquired an MA/ 1 year of study; I guess students are funded by fellowships, grants et al. for their first year of study. I'm not sure how I feel about it, as I actually like teaching and earning a salary right off, and the experience looks good on a resume. Most importantly, teaching experience actually helps you if you get into a program in which you will have to TA your first year as you have a better idea of what you are doing, which makes it easier to focus on your studies and not feel so overwhelmed.

I know institutional preferences will vary, but I'm wondering if anyone has insight into how much of a boon it is for one to teach, say, at a state/community college before applying to PhD programs.

I've been at it for a couple semesters now, and I'm wondering if my time and effort will be rewarded (beyond the daily rewards of teaching, of course) when I seek admission this fall.

Do you know of any institutions that frown on prior classroom experience? Do you know any that either require or all but require it? Thanks, as always, for whatever input you can offer.

Generally, public or state schools which heavily depend on graduate students for undergraduate teaching will look at you favorably, but you won't impress any top schools (the Ivy league & others like Stanford), especially with your community college teaching experience. The tops schools often hire lecturers with PhDs. They won't let their graduate students teach until they pass the prelims or become ABDs.

I don't think anyone would see it as a weakness, but the weight given to it as a strength will vary from program to program. I think many would value the experience, see it as displaying "commitment to the field," which I imagine becomes important when deciding between two equally qualified ppl for one spot, etc.