Interview Question

psychdork

Hi all,

I'm probably overthinking this, but I would like your opinion just to help settle my nerves.

I'm currently working on my masters thesis which I plan to finish about a month before I would start a PhD program (assuming I am accepted somewhere). One of my fears is that I will not get my thesis completed in time. I am already behind schedule (some part my fault, some part due to forces beyond my control...IRB) and August is coming closer and closer. One of my advisors mentioned that if I do not finish in time, and am accepted at a PhD program, my current department would let me finish my thesis that fall semester while also enrolled at my PhD institution. He said that many schools do not have a problem with this arrangement. Obviously this is not an ideal situation, and it is something I hope will not happen, but it did make me feel a little better.

So I have an interview coming up in a few weeks and would like to ask if the university would allow me to do be dual enrolled if this worst case scenario were to happen. That is would the PhD program let me finish my thesis while enrolled at the PhD institution. Is this a reasonable question? My concern is that the school might see this questions in a negative light (perhaps that I cannot finish things in time, or might use this an excuse or something). Regardless of their answer I am still planning on finishing everything in time but I would like to know this just in case.

Honestly I would not ask this question before I was accepted. It's January now and it's still pretty early in the game. In mid-March/April you'll have a better idea of how you are progressing and if, at that time, you worry that you might have to finish your thesis in the fall, I would ask this question then.

Good point. It's really the next few months that require the most time sensitive work. If everything goes well (or at least somewhat well) then I should be fine, and if it doesn't and I am concerned I'll ask my program(s) then. Thanks fuzzylogician!

Edited by psychdork