CMU Heinz MSPPM

techie

I have been lurking in this forum for a while and just recently got around to posting on it (partly intimidation by the high GPA and GREs). I see a lot of people who have applied to most of the other schools, just curious if there are others on this board who have applied to the MSPPM at Carnegie Mellon. It is the only program I have applied to for Public Policy work due to the courses they offer which interest my technical undergraduate and work background, since my background is Software Engineering.

If you did apply to this program, how did you decide between the split 2 year track (D.C./Pitt) and the 2 year track in Pittsburgh.

Hey techie.

I applied to the MSPPM at CMU. I decided to apply to the split track between Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C. because my career ambitions are to work on federal policy issues. The apprenticeship was attractive to me for networking options and getting practical experience in D.C. I did call CMU, and they told me that since there is a limited number of spots in the D.C. track that I would also be considered for the traditional two year program in Pittsburgh if the D.C. program filled up.

I applied to CMU Heinz MSPPM as well.

I decided to do the D.C. track program because my interests lie in development policy--the second-year in D.C. will allow me to get some more first-hand experience. A great thing about the D.C. program is that you're responsible for setting up your own apprenticeship (of course the program will assist you if you require it), so you can tailor it to your exact desires.

The DC track is much more competitive than the 2-year Pittsburgh program. The Pittsburgh program accepts slightly less than 50% of all applicants. Three days before the deadline, the D.C. track had received 60 applications for about 17 spots--or about 28%. From what I've read, only Princeton and Harvard accept a lower percentage of students (I could be wrong).

Based on your post, I think the MSPPM is a great fit for you. What track did you apply to? Good luck!

Wow 50% versus 28%, good thing I applied to the two year track in Pittsburgh. I chose this mostly to concentrate on advanced coursework.

Although, I think the split track has huge merits. In my undergraduate background, I held internships with a few companies which helped me get a job after graduation. Many of my friends who pursued the non internship option with higher grades were still having trouble finding jobs. I can see that there really is no substitute for real world work experience. Not sure if this is only true in engineering and not public policy, but that is what I think.

younglions, did they give you final numbers after the deadline passed, I would think a lot of people submitted applications in the last few days, making that 60 number jump higher?

Just trying to crunch some numbers, the website says 68 go into two year track and 31 in the one year. If 17 go in the split two year track, does that mean there are 51 spots in the two year Pittsburg or Australia, and at 50% that means about a 100 people applied?

I applied to two years in Pittsburgh, even though I want to work at the federal level eventually. I have a significant other to take in to consideration. We are not applying to graduate school at the same time, but I don't want to uproot him after one year in his first professional job. At least this way, he'll get a solid two years of work experience before he applies to graduate school.

I'm in the same exact situation. My SO will be coming with me to whichever graduate school I'll be attending. I feel bad already, and even worse if she'll be finding a new job twice in two years. I wanted to apply to the Pitt/DC track but I didn't think it would be fair to her.

I applied the two-year track in in Pittsburgh and I heard that some people had got admissions and funding($8000) a few weeks before in the early decision. I felt I have lost some chances for late submission. So sad.

Let's hope not... I submitted mine on February 1... lol.

i'm currently a first yr MSPPM at CMU. If you look at the boards from last year, I had a lot of difficulty deciding where to end up. For those looking to go to DC, the apprenticeship looks appealing but don't be discouraged if you end up at the Pitt campus either. in the beginning of the year, those on the two yr track are able to switch to dc next year-- if you really want to. there are currently some people in my program who have dropped out of the dc track in order to stay in Pitts. one of the advantages of being at the Pitt campus is being able to pick your classes. during your second yr in DC, you cannot pick your classes. also, the DC program will only be in its 2nd yr next yr, so i would try to get a hold of students who are currently there and let them tell you how they feel about it. also, you get save a lot of $ if you stay in Pburgh.

Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? If you do, just ignore these:

How do you like Pittsburgh? I have heard bad things about the city.

How hard is it for a college grad to get a job? (I am bringing my boyfriend)

I spoke to an admissions rep awhile ago and he said the quantitative rigor of CMU's program is really well respected in the job market (but he was selling the program). Do you find this to be the case?

Do you have an internship arranged? If so, what are you doing and where?

Where else did you get accepted? Why was CMU the winner?

Do you have any regrets or advice?

That is so many questions. I'm sorry.

Not to butt in, but as a Pittsburgher I can comment on living here. Here are some thoughts, in no particular order:

1.) Incredibly affordable/cheap to live here. I shared a whole house for <$350/mo for three years. I am scared to move to another city because I have been so spoiled here. At the same time, ready to move :).

2.) Pgh gets a bad rap, but does have great amenities no matter what your interests are. Great opportunities for sports (watching and playing), art, theater, museums, etc. And Pitt's Cathedral of Learning is probably one of the coolest buildings in the world.

3.) My one main complaint is that the city isn't as progressive as others...but it's trying.

4.) We have some great parks/green space here...if you're into that kind of thing.

5.) Lots of young, educated types...again, if you're into that kinda thing.

6.) Finally, Pittsburghese (the native language) is fun both to learn and experience.

It is great! Thank you. I noticed rent is low. I live in a college town and our rent is low and Pittsburgh is at or lower than here, which is awesome. How is public transportation?

Public transit is mostly fine for the area around CMU and for the neighborhoods nearby. I use it everyday. I don't trust it in the evenings however. You know, when it's late enough that one bus is supposed to come every hour? Sometimes that doesn't happen.

So, I would say it's functional, but not nearly as good as other large cities that I've been to.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I just recieved my official acceptance email from Heinz (with funding info!). In the email it says that I need to submit my enrollment form by 3/15. Does anyone know if this is a typo and they really mean 4/15? I still haven't heard back from half the places that I applied!

Hi everyone. I just recieved my official acceptance email from Heinz (with funding info!). In the email it says that I need to submit my enrollment form by 3/15. Does anyone know if this is a typo and they really mean 4/15? I still haven't heard back from half the places that I applied!

Yeah, ditto. Mine says 3/15 as well. I'm guessing it isn't a typo. I'm pretty sure I won't be ready to make a decision by then.

I've thought about this and I think it's got to be a typo. According to the notification letter, the admitted students weekend is April 3-4 in Pittsburgh and visitation day for D.C. is March 21. Do they expect us to make a decision before the visit weekends? That would be highly unusual.

Has anyone applied to Heinz PhD program? They contacted one of my references yesterday to talk about my qualifications and now I'm freaking out a bit... I figure the fact that they contacted someone means they might be a little interested?

policy_applicant - I posted the 31.5k, but it's actually 31K. It's a great offer and makes the program even more enticing. I exchanged some e-mails with a current student, and it seems like the D.C. program is even better than I was expecting. Current students are doing apprenticeships with World Bank, State Department, USAID, etc. and often at very high levels. All except one are receiving financial compensation. The scholarships add up to 29K for the Pittsburgh year and 33k for the Washington year. With the paid apprenticeship during the second year, I can essentially get my masters with only about 20k-30k in debt.

I think this means I'll definitely be a graduate student next year.

policy_applicant - I posted the 31.5k, but it's actually 31K. It's a great offer and makes the program even more enticing. I exchanged some e-mails with a current student, and it seems like the D.C. program is even better than I was expecting. Current students are doing apprenticeships with World Bank, State Department, USAID, etc. and often at very high levels. All except one are receiving financial compensation. The scholarships add up to 29K for the Pittsburgh year and 33k for the Washington year. With the paid apprenticeship during the second year, I can essentially get my masters with only about 20k-30k in debt.

I think this means I'll definitely be a graduate student next year.

Wow, that's awesome. And really nice to have such an amazing offer in your back pocket.

Hi, My name is Andrea and I've been accepted..so great! I'm also learning how to use this forum thing. Is anyone else here a returned Peace Corps Volunteer? I just returned from a 2 1/2 year tour through Zambia

I applied on February 1st, and still haven't heard a peep. I called and was informed that there is a committee meeting tomorrow, so the rest of the decisions will be posted either Friday morning or Monday morning on their application website.

jonpkduq, I notice that we're applying to a couple of the same schools, specifically American and GWU. When did you hear back from them? I applied to UPenn, American, GWU, NYU, UMD College Park, and Carnegie Mellon, and have only heard from UPenn.

I applied on February 1st, and still haven't heard a peep. I called and was informed that there is a committee meeting tomorrow, so the rest of the decisions will be posted either Friday morning or Monday morning on their application website.

jonpkduq, I notice that we're applying to a couple of the same schools, specifically American and GWU. When did you hear back from them? I applied to UPenn, American, GWU, NYU, UMD College Park, and Carnegie Mellon, and have only heard from UPenn.

I believe it was the 5th of Feb when I received the email from GWU. American was maybe a week or so later via snail mail...the only snail mail I've received other than CMU. But seeing as how I live 5 minutes down the street from them, I was not expecting as much of a delay :-P. I received notice from CMU on the 27th. Hope this helps!

jonpkduq, thanks for info. I live down the street from GWU (actually next to the grad dorm!) and nothing so far. I called and they said "in a couple weeks." Probably doesn't bode well, but keeping my fingers crossed. American said 7-10 days. Did they include funding in the letters?

I also have not heard back from CMU and applied on February 1.

Edit: noticed you applied to UMD - they are also a snail mail notification. They'll post on the website that a decision was made and that the letter is in the mail... but it won't say what the decision is!

I also have not heard back from CMU and applied on February 1.

Edit: noticed you applied to UMD - they are also a snail mail notification. They'll post on the website that a decision was made and that the letter is in the mail... but it won't say what the decision is!

Oh okay, that is good to know there are others in the same boat for CMU.

I am not surprised with UMD's notification method- their application process was difficult to navigate and very confusing. Their website is also very poor. I believe that decisions are made in 6-12 weeks, which means it could be well over the time that decisions and deposits have to be made for other schools, unfortunately.