CMU Heinz MSPPM

techie

jonpkduq, thanks for info. I live down the street from GWU (actually next to the grad dorm!) and nothing so far. I called and they said "in a couple weeks." Probably doesn't bode well, but keeping my fingers crossed. American said 7-10 days. Did they include funding in the letters?

I received funding information from gwu and cmu, but both at later dates. American said that funding information will be made by mid-march...aka, now. Still haven't heard anything from them yet.

Finally heard from CMU! I was admitted to the Pittsburgh/DC track with 24k the first year and 28 k the second year. This is really appealing considering the apprenticeship in the second year. I really wish I was able to come to the admitted students weekend, but I'm going to be in DC for the American and Georgetown open houses.

Finally heard from CMU! I was admitted to the Pittsburgh/DC track with 24k the first year and 28 k the second year. This is really appealing considering the apprenticeship in the second year. I really wish I was able to come to the admitted students weekend, but I'm going to be in DC for the American and Georgetown open houses.

Congrats! How did they notify? That is awesome funding!

I just called in and they changed the date in my letter to 4/15. I am not sure if it was a typo to begin with or if they are just being incredibly flexible.

My letter said 3/15 too. I've tried to email and call their office to see if it is actually 4/15, but I can't reach them this afternoon. Any thoughts?

My letter said 3/15 too. I've tried to email and call their office to see if it is actually 4/15, but I can't reach them this afternoon. Any thoughts?

It is 4/15. That is the universal response date that grad schools in the United States (including Carnegie Mellon) have agreed to. My letter says 4/15 - they must have had a typo early on.

It is 4/15. That is the universal response date that grad schools in the United States (including Carnegie Mellon) have agreed to. My letter says 4/15 - they must have had a typo early on.

That's what I assumed. Thanks for the quick response, traverler06.

That's what I assumed. Thanks for the quick response, traverler06.

No problem. :) What do you think of this Pittsburgh/DC split program? I've been looking up things and it looks pretty interesting. Have you talked to anyone who's actually done it? I can't imagine coming out of that apprenticeship and not being in a good position for a career or applying to PhD programs.

No problem. :) What do you think of this Pittsburgh/DC split program? I've been looking up things and it looks pretty interesting. Have you talked to anyone who's actually done it? I can't imagine coming out of that apprenticeship and not being in a good position for a career or applying to PhD programs.

This program looks very compelling. I haven't had a chance to speak with anyone who has gone through it. Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll be able to attend the open house in Pittsburgh (same day as Ford School). I might be able to make it to DC sometime, since I only live about 5 hours away (in W. Virginia).

• 4 weeks later...

I actually had the reverse impression-- I was impressed with the school but disappointed by Pittsburgh. What about the program left you underwhelmed? I thought that the day was well organized, felt like everyone at the school wanted me to go there, and felt confident that I would be able to get the type of job I want after I graduate.

I was pretty impressed with the program. It's very quantitative and the courseload seems very rigorous, making it difficult to substantial work/internship. I know the quantitative component will be very valuable to employers, but the program seemed very intense, with students taking 4-6 classes per semester, so I'm not sure the program is for me as I intend to work quite a bit in school. Pittsburgh wasn't as bad as I thought, as I discovered that there was a vibrant young population in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, but well...it's still Pittsburgh. Stellar program though, I just wish it was located a little more connected to the Northeast Corridor.

dngo, if you don't mind my asking, are you still leaning in the direction of Penn/Fels? CMU was one of the schools I considered seriously last year, so I'm always curious as to people's impressions and decisions wrt Heinz.

dngo, if you don't mind my asking, are you still leaning in the direction of Penn/Fels? CMU was one of the schools I considered seriously last year, so I'm always curious as to people's impressions and decisions wrt Heinz.

I'm down to Heinz and Penn. Yes, UPenn/Fels is still my top choice. I'm just waiting to hear about the possibility of more scholarship money. Even if I don't receive any more, I may very well submit my intent to register anyway.

• 10 months later...

reviving the thread! if anyone knows anything about the Pitt/DC track I'd love to hear your impressions on the year in DC. Also, some questions have been raised regarding the rigor of the quant classes. Any thoughts? I am one of those who would probably have to spend the summer on campus taking calc and econ before enrolling. What kind of classes do you take?