Brown University

InquilineKea

• 2 weeks later...

This was technically an independent visit, but once I told them the circumstances (I was visiting Yale and was already making plans to visit Brown), they invited me, offered to pay for travel and lodging, and even set up a schedule for me.

And haha - you followed me from physicsgre.com. :P

Edited by InquilineKea

• 2 weeks later...

Thread revival! Since Brown is starting to respond to the humanities kids, anybody gotten the good news/considering Brown?

I'm hoping lots of my "GradCafe friends" are coming here! (So I can have more "real life friends"!)

Edited by LLajax

Thanks for reviving the thread! Excited to be attending Brown starting in Fall for Art History (specifically, the history of photography). I visited this past September and really enjoyed both campus and Providence. Hoping to meet more F12 first years!

Thanks, LLajax! No clue... I wish I did know though. I'm from Ohio and our cost of living, including rent, is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than just about everywhere else. I'm sort of freaking out about the cost of housing at some of the places that've offered me admission!

Hey echolikebells,

Are you planning on attending this event?

http://www.brown.edu...ed_students.php

Just wondering... :)

It looks like that info is for 2010/2011! I will definitely try to get to something if they do one this year. Not entirely sure though-- like I said, from Ohio, so travel cost to Rhode Island is pretty steep.

Congrats echolikebells!

Looks like grad students tend to live fairly close to campus (Wayland Square, north)- wonder how far out is practical, for frugality's sake?

The one grad student I already know at Brown lives on the east side and cycles to school, and seems to like it. I am staying with him during the perspectives visit next week, so I guess I'll get a feel for whether or not I'd like to live that far out. Can't wait to visit next week!

I'm visiting again the first couple weeks of April.

Does anyone else seem to notice that the professors at Brown seem to be SO much nicer and SO much more approachable than professors anywhere else?

Also, does anyone else have access to The Brown Book?

The Brown Book (a guide to life in Providence available online from the Graduate Student Council’s website) may help you evaluate your options in terms of price range, location, and other considerations. Craigslist.com may also be a helpful resource.

Except that I went there, and can't find it anymore..

Edited by InquilineKea

It looks like that info is for 2010/2011! I will definitely try to get to something if they do one this year. Not entirely sure though-- like I said, from Ohio, so travel cost to Rhode Island is pretty steep.

haha, sorry. I realized this after I posted this. They are REALLY behind with their website info. But then did finally email us all with up-to-date info. Silly admission office.

That is pretty ridiculous of them to be so behind, but we have it now and that's what matters! You got good news re:financial support?

Yes, Although I have still yet to get the email that let me know to check the embark website to check my application status. I just checked because other people had said that decisions had been made. I emailed them to ask about this issue, but never got a response. All I got was the scholarship information that was suddenly sent to me via email. I mean, I just assume that the embark system is just terrible and quite buggy. When I applied I had a horrible time trying to get the system to save my information. I had extensive back and forths with the tech people at embark. It was a bit disappointing.

I mean, I just assume that the embark system is just terrible and quite buggy. When I applied I had a horrible time trying to get the system to save my information. I had extensive back and forths with the tech people at embark. It was a bit disappointing.

Very much so! Embark wouldn't let one of my recommendation-writers submit their letter, and after a bunch of back and forth, we never got it figured out. They just couldn't submit their letter for me!

Very much so! Embark wouldn't let one of my recommendation-writers submit their letter, and after a bunch of back and forth, we never got it figured out. They just couldn't submit their letter for me!

yes, me too! I had to ask the recommender to just email the document manually. And sadly there were extensive instructions to do so on their site, so this must be a very common thing.

But I got my financial aid info from Lynch School and as they have extended me no scholarships at all, my decision is made all the easier. I am committed to going to Brown this summer!!

Aubergine, mind reporting back about how the commute to campus is from that far out and your thoughts about said commute? It would be super helpful for those of us who may not be able to visit.

Sure! I am visiting at the end of this week and will report back.

I will add that I too had a lot of problems with submitting my application through Embark. The largest of these was that none of my referees received their prompts, and they had to email their letters to the admissions office instead. I will say though that the people I spoke to in admissions about these problems were extremely friendly and helpful. It all worked out in the end!