Anyone want to claim that NYU?

Now there are 2 acceptances. MUCH earlier than last year. Congrats to whomever it was, who said they could "throw up" know that we are all right there with you, but for different reasons.

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

I am struck by the utter opacity of this process: maybe by now, everyone who has been accepted has received calls. Maybe calls will be going out for the next 3 weeks. It could all be over or just starting.

Sorry to vent.

Again, if you're reading this, congratulations to those who have been offered a spot!

I am struck by the utter opacity of this process: maybe by now, everyone who has been accepted has received calls. Maybe calls will be going out for the next 3 weeks. It could all be over or just starting.

Sorry to vent.

Again, if you're reading this, congratulations to those who have been offered a spot!

I have to agree here. seeing that go up made me wonder if I should maybe charge my phone since it's dead. then I figured I'd just charge it in the car at work, but then I realized I'd constantly check it and freak out over the lack activity, so ultimately I'll just resign myself to waiting for the postal rejection and try not to have a panic attack when debt collectors call from strange numbers looking for people that I am not.

I have to agree here. seeing that go up made me wonder if I should maybe charge my phone since it's dead. then I figured I'd just charge it in the car at work, but then I realized I'd constantly check it and freak out over the lack activity, so ultimately I'll just resign myself to waiting for the postal rejection and try not to have a panic attack when debt collectors call from strange numbers looking for people that I am not.

Coincidence! I just had all the same thoughts and reached the same conclusion!

My last name is at the end of the alphabet, so I'm pretending that they took a lunch break and are going to call N-Z this afternoon.

(Mostly kidding, it was a long-shot from the beginning. It was nice to dream though...)

My last name is at the end of the alphabet, so I'm pretending that they took a lunch break and are going to call N-Z this afternoon.

(Mostly kidding, it was a long-shot from the beginning. It was nice to dream though...)

The same exact thought went through my head. I'm pretending that it's a very long lunch break. In fact, I may have to pretend that it lasts until tomorrow or next week.

hi everyone! i've been trolling the boards for awhile and that first nyu call was mine. the english department's grad chair said that successful applicants weren't going to be notified by the graduate board for another couple of weeks, but that since i'm international she wanted to reach out and help me plan my visit down to the school and to get my fiancee's visa application started.

hi everyone! i've been trolling the boards for awhile and that first nyu call was mine. the english department's grad chair said that successful applicants weren't going to be notified by the graduate board for another couple of weeks, but that since i'm international she wanted to reach out and help me plan my visit down to the school and to get my fiancee's visa application started.

Congrats! NYU is a great program. I did my MA there, but didn't apply for PhD.

It's fun when it isn't your school, right?

Also, I agree.

Oh THANK GOD. I was freaking out when I saw this topic title.

Reaching out to the international students begs a further question: What is the utility for a school to make decisions and then wait to send them out? Maybe the entire faculty lurks on these boards and just loves watching us squirm?

My thoughts exactly. Plus, if they want us to visit say, from the other side of the country, do they think our jobs/life/whatever don't merit as much advanced notice? (the question of visas is obviously much more complicated and difficult, but still...)

My thoughts exactly. Plus, if they want us to visit say, from the other side of the country, do they think our jobs/life/whatever don't merit as much advanced notice? (the question of visas is obviously much more complicated and difficult, but still...)

Pretty much. They have 500 applications and a dozen or so spots. This process is therefore not set up with the individual applicant in mind.

Realistically, if we assume that the person who calls the applicant to offer admission is a professor who works in the same field as the applicant, then there's no reason to panic. Your professor may not be in the office today, he/she may be teaching all day, etc.

Most recent acceptance says the call was from the Director of Graduate Studies.