What's your Plan B?

abc123xtc

DustSNK: trenchant advice. As it so happens, Auyero was my POI at UT Austin. I've been following his work for some time and got in contact with him regarding my application. We had a good exchange, chatted on the phone for awhile, and I was feeling confident that he would be my faculty connect in the event that I made it to that stage of the selection process. Unfortunately, he has a lot on his plate right now and can't take on more students, according to the Grad Coordinator. I was led to believe that this was a clear factor in my being denied by the program.

If you find Auyero's work compelling, you should also check out Dr. Gianpaolo Baiocchi at Brown. He also espouses a "relational" approach to sociological inquiry and primarily utilizes ethnography, though his focus is on how Brazilians "do politics".

Plan B...well, since I put all my eggs into one basket (technically two, but still), I suppose that I'll be looking for a job that I can enjoy that will allow me to put my experience and education to good use. I'm on the east coast now, but am headed to Northern California/Oregon/Washington regardless of the decisions from the programs I've applied to.

Plan B...well, since I put all my eggs into one basket (technically two, but still), I suppose that I'll be looking for a job that I can enjoy that will allow me to put my experience and education to good use. I'm on the east coast now, but am headed to Northern California/Oregon/Washington regardless of the decisions from the programs I've applied to.

Out of curiousity...

Why?

Because I feel the same way... but I'd love to know your erasons.

DustSNK: trenchant advice. As it so happens, Auyero was my POI at UT Austin. I've been following his work for some time and got in contact with him regarding my application. We had a good exchange, chatted on the phone for awhile, and I was feeling confident that he would be my faculty connect in the event that I made it to that stage of the selection process. Unfortunately, he has a lot on his plate right now and can't take on more students, according to the Grad Coordinator. I was led to believe that this was a clear factor in my being denied by the program.

If you find Auyero's work compelling, you should also check out Dr. Gianpaolo Baiocchi at Brown. He also espouses a "relational" approach to sociological inquiry and primarily utilizes ethnography, though his focus is on how Brazilians "do politics".

It's good to see others who know Auyero's work! I was lucky to have a few courses with him and looked at him as a mentor. He got tenure at SUNY SB and was really excited about it too. Then BAMM, U of T offered him the latin american spot and he jetted out of there. He wasn't a fan of Long Island which I cant blame him for as I got out too. You should keep trying. I've seriously considered moving to TX just to learn under him, but I'm trying to keep an international focus I got going on by applying abroad. He is an amazing mentor if you can get the time with him, as he is always busy. But he likes to involves his grad students in research and there is deff a nice family vibe amongst anyone who learns under him. Very passonate about his work. I'm going to check out the writer you mentioned. Speaking of brazil, have you read "death without weeping"?. All about the social construction of motherhood in Brazil, amongst other topics.

Out of curiousity...

Why?

Because I feel the same way... but I'd love to know your erasons.

Well, my husband and I are ready to explore somewhere besides the South and the Midwest, so that's part of it. Another piece is that our closest friends have just gone back that way, and the four of us want to be in one place, so we'll join them out there. We're actually waiting on my rejections/acceptances before we decide exactly where we'll be going, but it will basically be anywhere from north of San Francisco to Seattle. If I don't get in anywhere, I'll be disappointed, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a community college teaching job and maybe do some research to write a book. I might try again next year if I don't get in anywhere, depending on where we are and what I'm doing.

I already have an M.A. so I don't think that would be a good back up. Maybe an MPH since I'm medical soc. Or maybe take some science classes in case I end up wanting to become a nurse practioner or physician's assistant in the future.... maybe that's my plan B... I'd rather just not have to use my plan b and stick with the Plan A I've been working on for years... PhD by 30... ((sorry I'm a little blue and feeling sorry for myself as I wait anxiously for some word for a program))

Auyero was also my POI at UT, and I was aslo rejected. I think part of the problem is that when an otherwise highly quantitative program, which is generally well regarded to begin with, hires one very strong and productive ethnographer, that individual faculty member is going to be swamped with all of the ethnographers looking at UT. That is, speaking for myself, it was basically Auyero or bust at UT, and I imagine there were a good deal of other potential ethnographers with the same strategy. That makes it very competetive, as we're a self-selecting pool competing for spots under just one prof. Moreover, it means Auyero has his hands full with all of the qual. methods students already in the program. So I'm a little disappointed, but I suppose it's never a good idea to set your sights on a school because of just one professor.

I also think Baiocchi's work is cool and I actually used to work for an org. that he collaborated with frequently. I didn't apply to Brown though because I'm from Providence and couldn't bear the idea of spending another 5-6 years there just now (though Providence is an amazing city).

Are there any other political sociologists of Latin America out there? I know CUNY has a few (e.g. Fernandes) and Harvard (e.g. Viterna). Any other big names or up-and-comers?

The other qualitative person that probably gets the same overwhelming attention there would be Christine Williams.. probably some of the randomness of the UT admissions this year would be the qualitative/ethnography oriented faculty having too many students/responsibilities.

I was just planning to keep my job if I am not accepted, but today I was invited to be a TA/RA for the next year in Mexico with one of my favorite professors. I can't decide if two years coordinating a nonprofit/scholarship program at my alma mater is better than doing that for a year or teaching/researching in Mexico would be better on my app next year.

Advice from the masses?

I was just planning to keep my job if I am not accepted, but today I was invited to be a TA/RA for the next year in Mexico with one of my favorite professors. I can't decide if two years coordinating a nonprofit/scholarship program at my alma mater is better than doing that for a year or teaching/researching in Mexico would be better on my app next year.

Advice from the masses?

I would guess that research with a professor is better than program coordination/admistration if you have your heart set on doing a phd, especially if the research is related to your interests, can gain you a strong academic LOR, and could be spun into a publication or at least a writing sample.

Auyero was also my POI at UT, and I was aslo rejected. I think part of the problem is that when an otherwise highly quantitative program, which is generally well regarded to begin with, hires one very strong and productive ethnographer, that individual faculty member is going to be swamped with all of the ethnographers looking at UT. That is, speaking for myself, it was basically Auyero or bust at UT, and I imagine there were a good deal of other potential ethnographers with the same strategy. That makes it very competetive, as we're a self-selecting pool competing for spots under just one prof. Moreover, it means Auyero has his hands full with all of the qual. methods students already in the program. So I'm a little disappointed, but I suppose it's never a good idea to set your sights on a school because of just one professor.

I also think Baiocchi's work is cool and I actually used to work for an org. that he collaborated with frequently. I didn't apply to Brown though because I'm from Providence and couldn't bear the idea of spending another 5-6 years there just now (though Providence is an amazing city).

Are there any other political sociologists of Latin America out there? I know CUNY has a few (e.g. Fernandes) and Harvard (e.g. Viterna). Any other big names or up-and-comers?

At SUNY Stony Brook, Auyero's good friend was Tim Moran. I forgot if he is political, but I know he has had a lot fo focus on Latin America too. Reallly good guy and is the star of the department.