Rochester

Hero!!! I would really like to hear back from them soon. Even though I'm still waiting to hear back from several schools, I have a strong idea where I would like to attend. However, an acceptance to Rochester could possibly sway that decision.

Another wait list letter went up... I can't run home to check because I'm currently stuck on campus due to a tremendous snow storm (I'm in central NY). The suspense....

Nothing for me, also in central NY so I assume I'd be one of the first to know if it's through snail mail . . . however that was not the case with Buffalo so . . . it's all up in the air.

Dear Rochester,

I braved blizzard conditions and trekked through snow a foot deep to get to my mailbox today. And found nothing. Looking forward to you playing mind games with me for another week.

XO,

Fragile applicant

If it is any consolation, I am in the MA program at Rochester and also have not heard yet about my PhD application. However, a fellow MA student received a "wait list" last Friday in the mail (not the one posted here).

If it is any consolation, I am in the MA program at Rochester and also have not heard yet about my PhD application. However, a fellow MA student received a "wait list" last Friday in the mail (not the one posted here).

There are a few wait lists posted up on the results survey and one acceptance. Do you know if that acceptance was internal? They must've received a shit ton of good applicants if it is taking them this long to make decisions. Any word on the process there, wherewoolf?

I wish I could tell you more, but I have no real insight into the process, nor do I know if the acceptance was internal. I heard anecdotally that they would be late this year because there were a lot of applications. Looking back at past years, it is still a little early for them to be notifying. I didn't hear last year till March 10.

Other thoughts: the party line at Rochester is that internal applicants have no advantages over externals. The professors I have talked with do stress, however, that applicants with MAs (or in an MA program) are held to a higher standard than BA applicants. Also, from talking with students who successfully moved from the MA program into the PhD, I gather a big factor is the fit between student and faculty interests, which I assume is also a factor with external applicants.

Bravo to you for calling the department. Guess we just gotta keep waiting...

Thank you for that information. Ah, okay, we might have some time then.

Yeah, a big factor must be the fit between student and faculty.

I had correspondence to one really interesting professor there. His name is Morris Eaves.

My writing sample was on Blake and I actually had used Eaves as a source for the paper well before I knew I'd be applying to URochester.

Good luck to you and let's try to stay sane while waiting!

I wonder when they'll notify... I'm getting quite antsy. I don't think they've made final decisions yet at all. There's still only that one curious acceptance on the board.

Well. I caved and called. Talked to someone who sounded like she had no idea what was going on (read: take the following with a grain of salt), but she said the first batch of acceptances have gone out, and she assumes they're going in rounds. She suggested calling back later in the week for a more definite timeline.

So in other words - I have no new information, just more anxiety. Gah!

Lol, I caved and called as well... She said that first round acceptances have gone out, but she also did sound like she had no idea what was going on (she actually said she had no idea what was going on...), so...... yeah.

She said to call back tomorrow when the graduate secretary is in.

Meep. If the first round admits went out already then that makes me sad.

Oh, well. I've moved on. They were my top choice based on fit. However, the more I've read about their program, in particular completion rates, the less excited I am. If by some small chance I am accepted, of course I would be stoked, and it would make my decision that much more difficult. But I'm not holding my breath.

Ekant, I sending out good vibes for you. Let us know when you hear something!

Lol, I caved and called as well... She said that first round acceptances have gone out, but she also did sound like she had no idea what was going on (she actually said she had no idea what was going on...), so...... yeah.

She said to call back tomorrow when the graduate secretary is in.

Meep. If the first round admits went out already then that makes me sad.

Oh no. This news on top of two rejections (albeit, I saw these two coming) is not good. Probably going to call tomorrow (I'm yet to call) and talk to the graduate secretary in hopes that the person today was wrong and that the "first round" was actually just one fellowship . . . I guess I can dream, no?

Lol, this news on top of 9 rejections is REALLY not good. I may call back tomorrow to catch the graduate secretary. I'm dreaming too, GodzillaGrad. I hope it's the case that the representative I spoke to on the phone was wrong.

Lol, this news on top of 9 rejections is REALLY not good. I may call back tomorrow to catch the graduate secretary. I'm dreaming too, GodzillaGrad. I hope it's the case that the representative I spoke to on the phone was wrong.

Yeah. I agree. I've had 7 so far (to clarify, the 2 I referenced were just this afternoon's joyous surprise), so I'm catching up? Race to the top of the bottom?

I'll call tomorrow as well. I'm yet to call, so I feel I owe the department at least one before the inevitable letter in the mail.

I totally feel you. I got into one school today, so that's cool. But yeah, let's see what they say tomorrow. I'm hopeful!

And as hermia said, the person we spoke to sounded like she didn't work there... soooo yeah.

And hermia, thank you!!! :)

Email from graduate secretary today:

"The first round of letters has gone out. I expect to have the rest of the final decisions soon, and hopefully, will be sending letters out by the end of next week."

So don't lose hope just yet.