Rochester

Email from graduate secretary today:

"The first round of letters has gone out. I expect to have the rest of the final decisions soon, and hopefully, will be sending letters out by the end of next week."

So don't lose hope just yet.

I also called and she said that notifications should be out by the end of next week as well. Didn't hear (well, nor did I ask) about the first round of letters. So . . . here's for another crazy anxious week?

I would assume that means rejection letters or, if you applied to the PhD without an MA, MA acceptance letters. Rochester is usually an email-the-acceptance school. I mean I could be wrong. I also don't mean to be the killer of dreams.

Edit: Could also be wait lists. A little more positive.

Edited by Jbarks

I would assume that means rejection letters or, if you applied to the PhD without an MA, MA acceptance letters. Rochester is usually an email-the-acceptance school. I mean I could be wrong. I also don't mean to be the killer of dreams.

Edit: Could also be wait lists. A little more positive.

If they went out yesterday that means it's probably sitting in my mail box today (I live in central NY state). Well . . . that's going to be a long walk to the mailbox.

EDIT: And nothing. The waiting continues . . .

Edited by GodzillaGrad

I can't take the offer though -- it only offers the "possibility" of partial funding, and I can't go through the hell of reapplying for PH.D.s again after a year-long MA.

I just appreciated it as a gesture that my application wasn't entirely laughable.

Edited by lascosmo

Congrats, lascosmo. I was rejected. Even though Rochester was my top choice, I'm surprisingly okay with it. Now I can move on and start making some important decisions about where to go next year!

Thanks, Wherewoolf! I thought Rochester would be the best fit for me, but, as I talk to students and faculty in the programs to which I've been accepted, I see that may not necessarily be the case. I'm happy and grateful for the acceptance I have.

Okay, I got my letter. I applied to Ph.D. but they're offering me an M.A. admission instead. I guess that's one of the nicer ways to be rejected. :)

Got this kind of rejection as well--won't be taking them up on it, though. As someone who lives near Rochester, if you don't like freezing winters--don't feel too bad!

• 1 year later...

From what I remember last year, I feel like they did the notifying over one day.  Strange that not one acceptance was a results board poster though.

Waitlist notifications came out a week or two after acceptances, at least last year.