Rochester

Hello!

So, I know (at least according the results board) that Rochester typically doesn't notify until late February early March. However, since it's my top-top choice, I'm curious as to whether anyone has any information on their stats. How many people typically apply? How many do they accept? I can't find any information anywhere.

Also, I'm curious about Auburn...just as a sidenote.

Thanks!

well, I don't know how many apply, but judging by the amount of information submitted on the results board I'd say relatively few compared to some other top 30 type programs. Their dept is small though with few faculty and few grad students. Phds.org seems to be a good source for such stats:

http://graduate-school.phds.org/rankings/english/program/size/rochester/7053

Thanks. That helps give some perspective. I always forget to check Phds.org.

I find that the numbers on there are often kind of misleading.

For my own program,for instance, it just gives a number that is approximately that of ALL the graduate students in the department without dividing them into Masters and PhD students (it also does this with admissions numbers)... just something to keep in mind if you're looking at a department that has a terminal MA program as well as a PhD program.

EDIT: sorry, I was thinking of Peterson's... sorry for maligning you, phds.org!

Edited by wreckofthehope

well, I don't know how many apply, but judging by the amount of information submitted on the results board I'd say relatively few compared to some other top 30 type programs. Their dept is small though with few faculty and few grad students. Phds.org seems to be a good source for such stats:

http://graduate-scho.../rochester/7053

<a name="aa2">Completion Rates

(Source: NRC, 2006) ? Fraction of students completing a doctorate in 8 years 31%

Ouch!

<a name="aa2">Completion Rates

(Source: NRC, 2006) ? Fraction of students completing a doctorate in 8 years 31%

Ouch!

For what it's worth, Rochester has been VERY focused over the last two years on the time to completion thing. Dr. Kegl has more than once discussed the importance of staying on the 5-year pathway (it was the main topic of the first official meeting of our cohort last semester). It will take a few more years for that change to be reflected in the stats, but know that the department is really focused on improving that number.

For what it's worth, Rochester has been VERY focused over the last two years on the time to completion thing. Dr. Kegl has more than once discussed the importance of staying on the 5-year pathway (it was the main topic of the first official meeting of our cohort last semester). It will take a few more years for that change to be reflected in the stats, but know that the department is really focused on improving that number.

Are you a current student? Would you mind terribly if I messaged you about Rochester's process?

Are you a current student? Would you mind terribly if I messaged you about Rochester's process?

Yup. I'm a first year in the Ph.D. program. I don't mind, but I'm not sure how much I could tell you. All I know about Rochester's process is what I saw from the applicant side of it. We really haven't heard anything about it from this side of the equation. I've really been enjoying the program so far, though, and both the people and the resources are outstanding.

I've really been enjoying the program so far, though, and both the people and the resources are outstanding.

The more positive things I hear about the program, the more I want to go. I also like the fact that it's pretty small. I've always felt more at home in smaller departments.

TeamCoco-- Did you apply, as well? What is your area of interest?

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, from what I can tell on the results board, they don't typically notify admits until first week of March. I do notice, however, that they often send some rejections beforehand. They're my number one choice, so, if I only get accepted one place, I hope it's Rochester. The program is a great fit for my interests. Good luck! Keep us posted if you hear anything.

I just called the office. The Graduate Administrative Assistant said that they're still working on it and that it'll be probably until late next week (or early March) to hear back. They're one of my tops as well, great fit for my interests, but I'm not sure if I could stand another 6 years in upstate New York. I've done my undergraduate work for four years now in upstate New York. If this is the only place I get in, though, I'd be more than happy.

I just called the office. The Graduate Administrative Assistant said that they're still working on it and that it'll be probably until late next week (or early March) to hear back. They're one of my tops as well, great fit for my interests, but I'm not sure if I could stand another 6 years in upstate New York. I've done my undergraduate work for four years now in upstate New York. If this is the only place I get in, though, I'd be more than happy.

I'm also a Western New Yorker and have the same concerns. Rochester is a great fit, especially considering their strong film department and Rochester being a film-rich city, but I've lived in Western New York my entire life and would rather be just about anywhere south of here. Anyway, thanks for checking with them.

I'm also a Western New Yorker and have the same concerns. Rochester is a great fit, especially considering their strong film department and Rochester being a film-rich city, but I've lived in Western New York my entire life and would rather be just about anywhere south of here. Anyway, thanks for checking with them.

I'm not from Western New York (I'm from about 25 minutes outside of NYC), but I've been in Oneonta, NY (the boonies in central NY) for about 4 years now. I'm ready to get out.

Noooo... I really thought I had another week before this one. If I don't get accepted, I would at least prefer a wait list. A full out rejection from Rochester would hurt terribly.

Second this. I really want Rochester and Oregon. Just one. I need an acceptance. Rochester is a great program/fit for me. My writing sample was on Blake... Morris Eaves is a professor at Rochester and he's a leading scholar (as far as I'm concerned) on Blake. It'd be wonderful to get into this program... it's small and it's a great school.