Examples of Key Responsibilities:

Assists in the collection of fMRI data off-site. Must be

reliable, pay attention to detail, and be interested in learning about

neuroimaging research. Own transportation to drive to Charlestown is

preferred

Administers research studies and data collection. This includes

recruiting participants, phone screening for eligibility, scheduling

sessions, creating experimental stimuli and tasks, conducting

computerized and paper and pencil testing, and data scoring and entry.

Coordinates laboratory activities and administrative matters for

the lab. This includes training and coordinating undergraduate

student research assistants, responding to phone calls, organizing

laboratory space and meetings, troubleshooting computer issues,

documenting laboratory procedures, and organizing human subjects

paperwork and records.

Qualifications:

Attention to detail, reliability, strong organizational skills, and

good interpersonal skills are required.

Must be able to multi-task and take initiative.

Must be willing to work flexibly and professionally with research

participants and members of the research team.

Previous experience in a research setting, such as working with

research volunteers, collecting and organizing data, and proficiency

in Word and Excel are preferred.

Bachelor’s Degree preferred

Background in Psychology and/or Neuroscience preferred.

How to Apply:

Submit cover letter and resume as a single document at

http://www.brandeis.edu/humanresources/jobs/external.html. Elect

option for "External Applicant". Sort the job listing by clicking

the Job ID column heading. Locate the desired job listing. Click the

job title and then Apply Now.

Research Assistant (job id # 520452)

Brandeis University

Brandeis - Waltham Campus

Closing Statement:

Brandeis University operates under an affirmative action plan and

encourages minorities, women, disabled individuals, and eligible

veterans to apply. It is the policy of the University not to

discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race,

ancestry, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, genetic

information, national origin, disability, veteran status, or on the

basis of any other legally protected category.

----------------------------------

Angela Gutchess, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor of Psychology and

Volen National Center for Complex Systems

Brandeis University

http://www.brandeis.edu/gutchess/

And a third (btw, Jay is awesome and Dave is HUGE in the field, so this would be a great one):

Professors David Amodio and Jay Van Bavel are currently seeking a full-time Lab Manager to begin in August or September 2012, for a two-year commitment. The lab manager will work half-time in David Amodio’s Social Neuroscience Lab and half-time in Jay Van Bavel’s Social Perception and Evaluation Lab, located adjacently in the NYU Psychology Building.

The Lab Manager will work closely with Drs. Amodio and Van Bavel, and their respective lab groups, to coordinate and conduct research studies related to human social cognition using a combination of behavior and neuroscience methods (e.g., EEG, fMRI, peripheral psychophysiology). The Lab Manager will also manage laboratory activities, such as planning research events and meetings, maintaining laboratory computers and equipment, maintaining lab websites, interviewing and supervising research assistants, managing grants, preparing stimuli, programming experimental tasks, processing and analyzing data, reviewing literature, and editing manuscripts. The Lab Manager will also have the opportunity to participate in the broader intellectual community in the New York University Department of Psychology.

This position is open to candidates with a bachelor’s degree in psychology, neuroscience, or a related discipline. Previous experience conducting research in social psychology or cognitive neuroscience is highly desired. Experience with fMRI and/or EEG methods and data analysis and with computer programming (e.g. MATLAB) is preferred but not required, and will otherwise be learned on the job. Above all, we seek a candidate who is self-motivated, highly organized, and a good team player and who, ideally, seeks to eventually pursue a career in psychological science. The ideal candidate will also make creative contributions to the research program and, as such, have opportunities to co-author manuscripts resulting from the research. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.

We will review applications until the position is filled. However, for full consideration, we encourage applicants to submit materials by April 15th. Applicants should submit a brief resume and a 1-page cover letter describing their qualifications for the position, relevant experience, and research interests, along with the names of 2-3 references that may be contacted for a recommendation. Please address applications to both David Amodio (david.amodio@nyu.edu) and Jay Van Bavel (jay.vanbavel@nyu.edu) via email. For more information about our research labs, please visit our respective web sites:amodiolab.org and psych.nyu.edu/vanbavel/

Please feel free to circulate widely.

• 3 weeks later...

I've sent in some applications for RA positions over a week ago and haven't gotten any email back acknowledging them receiving it. Even emailed some labs to inquire about positions and haven't gotten emails back. Should I be worried and email again? Or is this just how they generally are? I'm scared they may not have received my emails or something. What're your experiences concerning that? I'm using my gmail email account rather than my edu one because I'll be graduating and don't want to keep myself tied to it concerning future prospects, but I know sometimes academia systems sometimes write them off as spam. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...lol.

I've sent in some applications for RA positions over a week ago and haven't gotten any email back acknowledging them receiving it. Even emailed some labs to inquire about positions and haven't gotten emails back. Should I be worried and email again? Or is this just how they generally are? I'm scared they may not have received my emails or something. What're your experiences concerning that? I'm using my gmail email account rather than my edu one because I'll be graduating and don't want to keep myself tied to it concerning future prospects, but I know sometimes academia systems sometimes write them off as spam. Maybe I'm just being paranoid...lol.

I would wait a little longer, and if you still haven't heard, maybe email to ask for confirmation for the places that you sent application materials. For the ones that you asked for positions available, I don't think I would email again, but that's up to you. Some places that I applied have confirmed application materials almost immediately, others I either haven't heard from, or didn't hear from until they wanted to talk to me. I think there is a lot of variability. It's also a busy time of year.

Your gmail account should probably be just fine...when I contacted POIs this season, I used my gmail account. I got responses from all of them. When I applied for RA jobs, I don't remember getting confirmation emails from all of them. Maybe wait another week or two- this is spring break for a lot of universities.

Disallusioned14,

If you know that these labs are currently looking for RAs, I would wait a week or two longer and then maybe begin to worry (it's spring break/midterm season, so allow extra time). However, if you're just inquiring as to whether or not they have any RA positions available, it's unfortunately not uncommon for professors to not answer at all, especially at larger universities. As an undergrad looking for a position I remember not getting any replies from several labs, and working as a lab manger now I have my doubts as to how many emails my professor replies to.

Keep your feelers out for positions in other labs (and other cities/universities- this thread is a really cool resource), and best of luck with the position you're applying for :)

Lab Manager Position

Department of Psychology

New York University

Professors David Amodio and Jay Van Bavel are currently seeking a full-time Lab Manager to begin in August or September 2012, for a two-year commitment. The lab manager will work half-time in David Amodio’s Social Neuroscience Lab and half-time in Jay Van Bavel’s Social Perception and Evaluation Lab, located adjacently in the NYU Psychology Building.

The Lab Manager will work closely with Drs. Amodio and Van Bavel, and their respective lab groups, to coordinate and conduct research studies related to human social cognition using a combination of behavior and neuroscience methods (e.g., EEG, fMRI, peripheral psychophysiology). The Lab Manager will also manage laboratory activities, such as planning research events and meetings, maintaining laboratory computers and equipment, maintaining lab websites, interviewing and supervising research assistants, managing grants, preparing stimuli, programming experimental tasks, processing and analyzing data, reviewing literature, and editing manuscripts. The Lab Manager will also have the opportunity to participate in the broader intellectual community in the New York University Department of Psychology.

This position is open to candidates with a bachelor’s degree in psychology, neuroscience, or a related discipline. Previous experience conducting research in social psychology or cognitive neuroscience is highly desired. Experience with fMRI and/or EEG methods and data analysis and with computer programming (e.g. MATLAB) is preferred but not required, and will otherwise be learned on the job. Above all, we seek a candidate who is self-motivated, highly organized, and a good team player and who, ideally, seeks to eventually pursue a career in psychological science. The ideal candidate will also make creative contributions to the research program and, as such, have opportunities to co-author manuscripts resulting from the research. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.

We will review applications until the position is filled. However, for full consideration, we encourage applicants to submit materials by April 15th. Applicants should submit a brief resume and a 1-page cover letter describing their qualifications for the position, relevant experience, and research interests, along with the names of 2-3 references that may be contacted for a recommendation. Please address applications to both David Amodio (david.amodio@nyu.edu) and Jay Van Bavel (jay.vanbavel@nyu.edu) via email. For more information about our research labs, please visit our respective web sites:

http://www.amodiolab.org/

http://psych.nyu.edu/vanbavel/

I was also e-mailed ads for the Social Stigma Lab at UCLA and the Psychology of Belief and Judgment Lab (joint with Decision Research Lab) at UChicago. The details are in PDF's, so I can't share them, but PM your e-mail address if you want a copy of either or both.

Hi all! Here's a copy of the Social Stigma lab manager announcement from the SPSP listserv that NewScientist12 mentioned:

Lab manager position at UCLA Social Stigma lab

Jenessa Shapiro's Social Stigma and Social Interaction Lab at UCLA is hiring a full-time Lab Manager for a two-year commitment. The start date is September 2012.

The Lab Manager will work closely with Dr. Jenessa Shapiro and her lab to coordinate and conduct research studies related to stigma, stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination. For more information about our research, please visit our web site: http://shapiro.psych.ucla.edu/Home.html

The Lab Manager will oversee the day-to-day research being conducted in the lab, such as scheduling and supervising the running of studies, planning research events and meetings, maintaining laboratory computers and equipment, maintaining lab websites, interviewing and supervising research assistants, managing grants, preparing stimuli, programming experimental tasks, processing and analyzing data, reviewing literature, and editing manuscripts.

This position is perfect for someone with a BA or MA in psychology who has moderate to extensive research experience but who is looking for more time (2 years) to deeply engage in research before applying to graduate school in psychology.

Qualifications: We are looking for someone with a strong background in psychology and psychological research. Previous experience conducting research in social psychology and the completion of an honors thesis or independent project in psychology is ideal. In addition, we are looking for a candidate with an extreme need for accuracy and efficiency, who is self-motivated, highly organized, and a good team player. Experience with Media Lab, Direct RT, SPSS, Excel, IRB processes, running experiments of all kinds in the lab and field is preferred but not required. Excellent social and communication skills are extremely important because much of this job is managing people (e.g., research participants, undergraduate RAs, and the support and administrative staff at UCLA). You may also need to work some nights and weekends when there are grant or study deadlines and at the start of the academic quarters, thus some flexibility in schedule is desired.

We will review applications until the position is filled. However, for full consideration, we encourage applicants to submit materials by April 15th. Please send all application materials to Christine Chu (cchu@psych.ucla.edu) via email. Applicants should (1) submit a resume/CV, (2) submit a 1-page cover letter describing their qualifications for the position, relevant experience, and research interests, along with the names of 2-3 references, and (3) have 1 letter of recommendation emailed to Christine Chu.

The University of California, Los Angeles is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

• 4 months later...

If anyone is still seeking a lab manager/RA position for next year, this position was posted today to the SPSP listserv. It is a terrific opportunity with a very well-known researcher in the field...and it's in sunny Santa Barbara, CA!

Research Assistant/Lab Manager Position

Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences

Self and Social Identity Lab

University of California, Santa Barbara

A lab manager position is available in the Department of Psychological & Brain Sciences at University of California Santa Barbara with Dr. Brenda Major.

Primary areas of research involve examining: (1) factors that shape perceptions of discrimination and reactions to intergroup feedback, and (2) impact of weight stigmatization on executive control processes, psychophysiological responses, and behavior.

The duties of this position are diverse and will include assisting with study design and preparation, scheduling and running subjects, overseeing research assistants, performing literature searches, completing paperwork associated with IRB and grants, web page management, and generally helping with the organization of the numerous projects underway in the lab. As such we are looking for an organized, detail-oriented person with a bachelor's degree in Psychology, prior research experience, excellent writing skills, and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). There will be an opportunity to collaborate on lab projects so an ideal candidate will also have an interest and background in the topics studied in the lab and possess additional skills such as familiarity with data analyses (SPSS), programming, and physiological (e.g., CVR) measurement.

The preferred start date is September 15. Please send a statement of interest, resume, and 2-3 letters of recommendation to majorlabucsb@gmail.com (with 'MAJORLAB POSITION' in the subject line).

The Department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and service. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.

• 6 months later...

Got this on on the SAN listserv last week.

Research Assistant Position in Social/Developmental Neuroscience

A Research Assistant position in cognitive/social neuroscience and developmental psychology, at the undergraduate, or post-BA level, is available in the Brain Development Imaging Lab (BDIL; http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/bdil/web/BDIL.html) at San Diego State University (SDSU). Our lab investigates how different parts of the brain are connected and how they work together in typical and atypical development. We work with children and adolescents with autism, trying to understand what happens to the brain when typical developmental processes are disturbed. Dr. Inna Fishman, who is going to be a primary mentor for the RA, is specifically focusing on investigating social brain circuits, that is, those brain networks that help us navigate – and thrive – in complex social situations as we grow and mature. Our chief research tools for examining those questions are neuroimaging techniques (including functional MRI and diffusion tensor imaging) combined with comprehensive neuropsychological and behavioral testing.

The person in this position will be responsible for database maintenance, subject recruitment, fMRI data acquisition and, most importantly, for fMRI data analysis. The ideal candidate will have at least moderate comfort level / previous experience with brain data analysis (e.g., EEG, fMRI) and familiarity with programming and scripting (e.g., some knowledge of Matlab is very helpful). However, these are not requirements, as we have had many capable students who were able to acquire and profess the necessary skills while working in our lab. A long-term commitment (at least one year) would be ideal, as the above analytic techniques require extensive training and involve a relatively prolonged learning curve. That being said, a motivated student will have an opportunity to carve out her/his own research project and to carry it to fruition, including publishing a manuscript.

Position is available immediately. To apply, please contact Inna Fishman at 619-574-2299 or ifishman@projects.sdsu.edu.

• 5 months later...

For anyone looking for positions in Canada, the Anxiety and Illness Behaviours Lab at the University of Regina (Saskatchewan) is looking for a full-time research coordinator starting end of July/early August 2013. See this link for all the details. 

https://urcareers.uregina.ca/applica...etails_css.jsp

You can also check out our website www.aibl.ca

user_online.gif report.gif