NYU Gallatin - "Thank you for your interest"?

Hi,

I just got an email from NYU Gallatin. Thought it was definitely a rejection when i read "Thank you" but it didn't sound like a standard one.

Did they send a official announcement to everyone who applied that they have started reviewing?

What was this exactly? Anyone else?

"Thank you for your interest in the M.A. Program of the Gallatin School of Individualized Study at New York University.

Gallatin students design a unique concentration that draws on diverse disciplines, focusing on questions, themes and goals that they formulate in consultation with their advisers. Students in the M.A. program take courses at Gallatin and in the various NYU schools.

We are in the process of creating a publication with detailed information about how various students and alumni created their Gallatin concentrations and we will be happy to send you a copy when it becomes available.

In the meantime, please visit our Web site, where you can access student profiles and thebulletin (also available by clicking on the image to the right).

I invite you to attend a Graduate Information Session to learn more about Gallatin and to explore the possibilities of an individualized and interdisciplinary education.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions."

Hopefully this is just a false alert...

Thanks!

regards,

h.

The Gallatin School does not offer a PhD, and I doubt they offer any funding. It seems more like a continuing education program, but I'm guessing, a VERY expensive one. Here are some "FAQs" from the website:

Is a standardized test required for admission?

No, Gallatin does not require any standardized testing such as the GRE. If you have taken a standardized test and done well, you may submit the score.

Does Gallatin accept part-time students?

Yes, in fact many of our graduate students attend part-time. Most graduate courses throughout the University are offered in the evening. You may even start out by taking one course at a time. Keep in mind, though, that you must be registered for at least six credits to receive financial aid.

Can I apply to more than one NYU graduate school?

Yes. You may apply to several NYU graduate schools. However, each school requires that you submit its own application and credentials.How long does it take to complete the degree?

Full-time students usually complete the degree in 2 to 2 1/2 years, and you are given 6 years in which to complete the degree. Part-time students usually take 3 to 6 years to complete the M.A. degree.

The Gallatin School does not offer a PhD, and I doubt they offer any funding. It seems more like a continuing education program, but I'm guessing, a VERY expensive one. Here are some "FAQs" from the website:

That's a pretty dismissive look at a selective and well-respected program that does commonly fund students. Just because your interests fit neatly into a conventional department doesn't mean that Todamascus' are any less legitimate. A program need not offer a PhD to be a degree worth having, especially when it comes to interdisciplinary research areas. The OP was asking about this specific email, not whether you think Gallatin is a good program or not. The OP has obviously already applied if they were afraid it was a rejection, so your rude response serves no purpose.

Todamascus, if it helps any, I didn't get that email. I recently inquired with the grad coordinator at Gallatin to confirm the receipt of my supporting materials, but have not heard otherwise.

That's a pretty dismissive look at a selective and well-respected program that does commonly fund students. Just because your interests fit neatly into a conventional department doesn't mean that Todamascus' are any less legitimate. A program need not offer a PhD to be a degree worth having, especially when it comes to interdisciplinary research areas. The OP was asking about this specific email, not whether you think Gallatin is a good program or not. The OP has obviously already applied if they were afraid it was a rejection, so your rude response serves no purpose.

Todamascus, if it helps any, I didn't get that email. I recently inquired with the grad coordinator at Gallatin to confirm the receipt of my supporting materials, but have not heard otherwise.

I don't mean to say it's a bad program, but non-traditional programs, though they may help you get into a PhD program, don't typically help you in the job market. I just mean to alert him to that fact, in case he got this as spam and is confused.

The email just sounds like a "we have received your application" email, not a "thanks for your interest, but..." email. Probably just trying to give people a little more info throughout the process, which is nice.

I went to the Gallatin program for the first part of my undergrad--it was really great, wonderful teachers, small classes, with a curriculum based on the Great Books. It was also pretty competetive, from what I remember (10 years ago when I applied). I'm sure their graduate program is great too--probably a great prep for a PhD. In the early 2000s, I know they didn't have much funding (I had to leave because of funding--they tried to keep me, but had no $$), but that all could have changed, especially for grad programs.

Thanks to all!

Just wondering if it was another false alert. It's always good to have a response.

@ Grunty DaGnome Yeah I picked 2 non-traditional programs among others(there is also New School on my final 10 list. :) )The Gallatin was a bit of a last-minute decision (I wasn't in time for their comp. lit. and I was fascinated by the idea that you get to work with lit, philosophy,psychology, cinema and all) but lets hope it's not a cash cow!

@pomo Thanks for the note! FYI i emailed my writing sample plus an inquiry and didn't hear from them either, but there is this strange email today that really didn't say anything...

Hopefully one of these programs accept me. I wish to continue to Ph.D but there's always pressure from family -- women should get married before 28 and have kids before 30 and that a five-yearish commitment is not a good idea and so on. Crusty conservative values I know , but they love me enough to support my application for Masters and agreed to see it from there!

Greetings from China,

Good night and sweet dreams everyone.

h.

The email just sounds like a "we have received your application" email, not a "thanks for your interest, but..." email. Probably just trying to give people a little more info throughout the process, which is nice.

I went to the Gallatin program for the first part of my undergrad--it was really great, wonderful teachers, small classes, with a curriculum based on the Great Books. It was also pretty competetive, from what I remember (10 years ago when I applied). I'm sure their graduate program is great too--probably a great prep for a PhD. In the early 2000s, I know they didn't have much funding (I had to leave because of funding--they tried to keep me, but had no $$), but that all could have changed, especially for grad programs.

hugs*

thank you very much @bfat! I am feeling more positive now(and more worried that i will not get in -- sounds like a tough competition :( )

By the way, could you get people not on their list to mentor you? I know it's greedy to ask but that would be awesome.

By the way, could you get people not on their list to mentor you? I know it's greedy to ask but that would be awesome.

We were encouraged to take courses in different disciplines, but as far as I know, your advisor/mentor had to be within the program. But that was as an undergrad, so it could definitely be different for grad students.

Good luck! :)

I got that same email and almost had a heart attack before I realized what it was.

You received that email because you requested information from them. You probably requested information weeks ago and forgot about it, and they took that long to email you back. Either that or every couple of weeks they send out that email to everyone who requested information. I think you and I got that email on the same day.

I talked to John Bradley a few weeks ago about when we should hear back about our applications, and when I talked to him he said in about three weeks, because I had also applied for the Reynolds Fellowship. If you haven't applied for the fellowship then you will hear from them about your application sometime mid-March. At this point I should be hearing back from them in 1-2 weeks! EEEEEK.

Good luck to everyone who applied! Fingers crossed!