What is the biggest conference in Earth and Atmospheric Science?

lucerne

I am looking for the biggest conference in earth and atmospheric science. I am formerly a student in physics, and I have some interest to do ph.d in this field. However I fear there is not as much as math in applied mathematics or physics, or that employment opportunity is going to be very limited after graduate school. Can you give me suggestions?

As NoNO said, the AGU Fall Meeting (San Francisco) is the biggest conference in the Earth sciences. But because >17,000 people attend, it's almost futile to go without any prior contact with people with whom you're interested in speaking. Chances are you won't run into anyone you recognize, just because it is so darn big.

Chances are you won't run into anyone you recognize

unless you have perfected the professor stalk

Anyway... while AGU is the largest, it's also in December (in San Francisco). If you'd like some exposure before then, you could check out these, even though they are smaller and more focused (which may be better unless it is not what you want to do):

Ocean Sciences meeting in Salt Lake city in late Feb (two weeks!) - anything oceanography (including physical oceanography, climate modeling, ocean-atm dynamics, etc)

Goldschmidt conference in Montreal (this summer) - geochemistry