"You're a Genius all the time"-Jack Kerouac. A thread for those not applying exclusively to Top 15 programs...

Ironheel!!

Well, I got the first news and it was a reject from Vanderbilt(by email). Kind of expected, I think Vanderbilt id going to have a super strong incoming class (at least stats wise). Now I wait on the schools I really want to go to! Anyone else around applying to Brandeis?

Well, I got the first news and it was a reject from Vanderbilt(by email). Kind of expected, I think Vanderbilt id going to have a super strong incoming class (at least stats wise). Now I wait on the schools I really want to go to! Anyone else around applying to Brandeis?

I was rejected at Vandy too. It wasn't at the top of my list, but rejections suck regardless. I'm originally from the Nashville area, and I think it would have been a great place to return to for graduate study.

To those of you who were wondering about the the University of Washington "interviews," I can fill in the blanks there (having just finished talking to my POI there). From what my conversation was like, they're less interviews than they are recruitment calls to top candidates to gauge interest, ask/answer questions and generally inform candidates about why UWS is great for them and why they should go there. So, um, don't feel bad necessarily that you didn't receive one, but I take it that it's a Very Good Sign if you did.

Otherwise, I'll just say that I'm really happy to be applying to what I consider to be very good schools in the 15-40 range; they're a better fit for me, and--while I have good letters and decent stats--I didn't really decide I wanted to do Political Science until very late in my undergraduate career (second to last semester, actually), and as a consequence I never developed my academic credentials in the area as much as I could have (although I would've been a very competitive Composition/Rhetoric candidate, I think). I've also held off a year to wait for my girlfriend to graduate from college, and my off-year has mostly been spent working terrible minimum wage jobs that have nothing to do with my degree. Still, I've been really happy to find that schools like Washington, Madison and Boulder are excited to have me and (in the case of Washington) actively recruit me for a school that is probably my top choice.

To those of you who were wondering about the the University of Washington "interviews," I can fill in the blanks there (having just finished talking to my POI there). From what my conversation was like, they're less interviews than they are recruitment calls to top candidates to gauge interest, ask/answer questions and generally inform candidates about why UWS is great for them and why they should go there. So, um, don't feel bad necessarily that you didn't receive one, but I take it that it's a Very Good Sign if you did.

Otherwise, I'll just say that I'm really happy to be applying to what I consider to be very good schools in the 15-40 range; they're a better fit for me, and--while I have good letters and decent stats--I didn't really decide I wanted to do Political Science until very late in my undergraduate career (second to last semester, actually), and as a consequence I never developed my academic credentials in the area as much as I could have (although I would've been a very competitive Composition/Rhetoric candidate, I think). I've also held off a year to wait for my girlfriend to graduate from college, and my off-year has mostly been spent working terrible minimum wage jobs that have nothing to do with my degree. Still, I've been really happy to find that schools like Washington, Madison and Boulder are excited to have me and (in the case of Washington) actively recruit me for a school that is probably my top choice.

Thanks for the information and congrats on your acceptances.

To second the seconds and third the thirds, great idea, Ironheel! ! (Space included to make sure you know one of them is for your username and one of them is for emotion!) I admit that 7 of my 9 applications were to top 15 programs, but I'm waiting to hear back from UVA and am excited after hearing from UT today. Is it cool for the bird to whirl in here? It's where most of my favorite (friendly, funny) people are...

And I think the observation that there's a huge selection bias is spot on. The uber obsessive ones come here. Oh rats...guess that means I'm one of them...though, let's be honest, guys, I come here to get excited about poli sci since I have no one around me in real life at the moment with whom to share the idiosyncracies of our discipline. Or anyone who understands jokes about whether we're being "realists" about our chances. Haha? Bad pun? iwouldpreferanonymity, I'm looking at you!

Edited by whirlibird

To second the seconds and third the thirds, great idea, Ironheel! ! (Space included to make sure you know one of them is for your username and one of them is for emotion!) I admit that 7 of my 9 applications were to top 15 programs, but I'm waiting to hear back from UVA and am excited after hearing from UT today. Is it cool for the bird to whirl in here? It's where most of my favorite (friendly, funny) people are...

And I think the observation that there's a huge selection bias is spot on. The uber obsessive ones come here. Oh rats...guess that means I'm one of them...though, let's be honest, guys, I come here to get excited about poli sci since I have no one around me in real life at the moment with whom to share the idiosyncracies of our discipline. Or anyone who understands jokes about whether we're being "realists" about our chances. Haha? Bad pun? iwouldpreferanonymity, I'm looking at you!

I think that it's cool for the bird to whirl in here. The "normal people" are inclusive; we don't shun the elites.

I think that it's cool for the bird to whirl in here. The "normal people" are inclusive; we don't shun the elites.

Yay! First of all, thank you PoliSci27! Second of all, just wanted to say that I don't see anyone normal around here. I see a group of amazing, hardworking people who know what they want and are going after it. Not to lay it on too thick...I really do mean that sincerely. I think it goes for anyone applying for a PhD program, regardless of where. We're pursuing a ridiculous dream, and it's awesome. Sorry...didn't mean to get all touchy feely. I just felt like it needed saying.

the pun was not that bad, whirlibird. I barely cringed. ;)

...hm...the Force is strong with this one...I'll have to bring out the big puns... (get it? Big puns? Big guns? You're right; they lose all their punch when I explain them...)

All are welcome, but as an applicant who was not waiting for Duke or Stanford, I was hoping to get a little activity out of some of the people who may have been lurking. Glad the thread is catching on, and hope to hear some more good news in the coming days.

Second of all, just wanted to say that I don't see anyone normal around here. I see a group of amazing, hardworking people who know what they want and are going after it. Not to lay it on too thick...I really do mean that sincerely. I think it goes for anyone applying for a PhD program, regardless of where. We're pursuing a ridiculous dream, and it's awesome. Sorry...didn't mean to get all touchy feely. I just felt like it needed saying.

I concur completely. There is, I think, an innate nobility to pursuing the intellectual life. I applaud everyone who has embarked on this path, and am honored to enter the same profession as you all.

All are welcome, but as an applicant who was not waiting for Duke or Stanford, I was hoping to get a little activity out of some of the people who may have been lurking. Glad the thread is catching on, and hope to hear some more good news in the coming days.

Maybe they are still lurking. To be honest, even with this thread, I was hesitant to state I applied to UGA and UF. FSU is a safety school for many but it has been my top pick since I started researching graduate schools. It is a little intimidating to be around intelligent folk. At my mid-sized regional institution, I'm a big fish in a small pond. It was a bit of an eye opener to browse GC and see just how big the PoliSci world is and how I'm just a medium sized fish in a large pond (which I'm completely fine with and proud of).

Yay! First of all, thank you PoliSci27! Second of all, just wanted to say that I don't see anyone normal around here. I see a group of amazing, hardworking people who know what they want and are going after it. Not to lay it on too thick...I really do mean that sincerely. I think it goes for anyone applying for a PhD program, regardless of where. We're pursuing a ridiculous dream, and it's awesome. Sorry...didn't mean to get all touchy feely. I just felt like it needed saying.

I think it needed to be said and it was great to read.

Maybe they are still lurking. To be honest, even with this thread, I was hesitant to state I applied to UGA and UF. FSU is a safety school for many but it has been my top pick since I started researching graduate schools. It is a little intimidating to be around intelligent folk. At my mid-sized regional institution, I'm a big fish in a small pond. It was a bit of an eye opener to browse GC and see just how big the PoliSci world is and how I'm just a medium sized fish in a large pond (which I'm completely fine with and proud of).

I think it needed to be said and it was great to read.

You are spot on. Hell, I don't have a safety school, I applied to places I wanted to go regardless of rankings. I am a bit older and feel I have a slightly different perspective. I took a few years off and went back and got an MA, now trying to move up the food chain to the Phd. It just depends on what you want to do in the future. I'm happy to be a small fish in a massive sea so long as I can eventually teach, develop curriculum, advise, and do some research on topics that I am passionate about.

You are spot on. Hell, I don't have a safety school, I applied to places I wanted to go regardless of rankings. I am a bit older and feel I have a slightly different perspective. I took a few years off and went back and got an MA, now trying to move up the food chain to the Phd. It just depends on what you want to do in the future. I'm happy to be a small fish in a massive sea so long as I can eventually teach, develop curriculum, advise, and do some research on topics that I am passionate about.

I'm with you. I'm turning 32 next month and I want nothing more than to work at a regional institution where I my focus can be on advising and mentoring as much as research. I'm currently working as an academic advisor and I've taught an undergraduate course (a perspectives course on critical thinking). For me, that's where the reward is. Sure, getting my first published article will be rewarding as well, but being able to continue doing what I do now (advising and mentoring) while being able to teach in a field I love is my dream.

I'm with you. I'm turning 32 next month and I want nothing more than to work at a regional institution where I my focus can be on advising and mentoring as much as research. I'm currently working as an academic advisor and I've taught an undergraduate course (a perspectives course on critical thinking). For me, that's where the reward is. Sure, getting my first published article will be rewarding as well, but being able to continue doing what I do now (advising and mentoring) while being able to teach in a field I love is my dream.

Well, the acceptance to UGA is a good start!

I was about to say I also applied to only one top-15 (Chapel Hill). I keep forgetting I also applied to Berkeley - as I mentioned in the other thread, I just thought, why not, you'll never know if you don't apply.

Anyway, of the programs where I'm actually hoping to get in, I'm so anxious about UNC that I'm feeling a little sick. I deliberately ran the range of the rankings, from big bad Berkeley to unassuming little Miami of Ohio, with most in the 20's and 30's of the USNWR rankings. I thought I could be a strong or weak candidate depending on what each adcom was looking for. Since then, though, I'm feeling more like I have a strong application overall, with my low cumulative GPA (3.17 at the time I submitted my apps) being the only real black mark on my profile. That's from failing two classes in unrelated fields three years ago when I was in a different major and at a different point in my life, and I made sure the adcoms knew that.

I got into Pitt, though, and the survey shows they rejected a couple of people with substantially higher GPAs than me, so I'm hopeful that if Pitt can see past that one black mark, then my other schools can too.

@Wintergreen- What subfield? I'm applying IR to Oregon.

First off, good thread to start. Most of my apps are for programs outside the top 15 or 20, with the exception of Ohio State, so I feel a little bit more comfortable now.

Already flat out rejected by Emory, likely also be rejected by PSU, Maryland and UIowa (given that some people have received admission notices from those institutions). Waiting for other, more lower-ranked schools to save me.

I wouldn't say you are rejected by a few of those quite yet. I know Iowa for instance typically doesn't release decisions until late Feb-mid March. I think the one post for them probably just was some exceptional candidate. The one thing I would worry about them is getting funding because they are a fairly small department and only can typically afford to fund around 6 new students.

Already flat out rejected by Emory, likely also be rejected by PSU, Maryland and UIowa (given that some people have received admission notices from those institutions). Waiting for other, more lower-ranked schools to save me.

I called and spoke with Maryland's grad program assistant yesterday due to some problems with a lost transcript. After she said that it was found, she said that the addmissions committee was just meeting this week, and that we should hear something in the next week or so. I think the earlier Maryland acceptance was from someone who sent their app in very, very early and had already been looked at.

Moral of the story: Don't give up on Maryland just yet! Good luck to everyone waiting to hear from them and everywhere else!

Well, the acceptance to UGA is a good start!

Agreed. I'm anxious to see what kind of funding they offer. My wife is an elementary school teacher here in GA, so I don't need a huge stipend (assuming she can find employment), but I would like tuition covered and travel/research money for presenting at conferences.

Is there a chance that anyone else applied to LSU? The Results Survey doesn't offer much by way of decisions from previous years.

Congrats on Austin! Not sure about LSU, I had actually looked at the program (I was considering theory) but there seems to be very limited funding in the program. I'm sure if you got into UT, you'll be a strong applicant at LSU, assuming you put the same thought into the application as you did for UT.

Congrats on Austin! Not sure about LSU, I had actually looked at the program (I was considering theory) but there seems to be very limited funding in the program. I'm sure if you got into UT, you'll be a strong applicant at LSU, assuming you put the same thought into the application as you did for UT.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I applied to Theory there b/c I'm a huge fan of Prof. Stoner. I haven't been able to find out much regarding funding. Prof. Stoner put me in contact w/ the Director of Admissions, but he was evasive on the subject of funding.

I'm excited about the acceptance at UT. Their funding isn't quite as nice as a lot of schools, but I'm sure I'll survive if my wife is able to find a job in Austin.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I applied to Theory there b/c I'm a huge fan of Prof. Stoner. I haven't been able to find out much regarding funding. Prof. Stoner put me in contact w/ the Director of Admissions, but he was evasive on the subject of funding.

I'm excited about the acceptance at UT. Their funding isn't quite as nice as a lot of schools, but I'm sure I'll survive if my wife is able to find a job in Austin.

I exchanged some emails with the director back in the summer/fall and got little in terms of funding, which made me believe that it was limited- plus, the grad handbook notes something about the type of funding and it seemed a bit slim.