"You're a Genius all the time"-Jack Kerouac. A thread for those not applying exclusively to Top 15 programs...

Ironheel!!

Congrats to all those who have been accepted so far. I thought I'd start a thread for anyone who is not waiting to hear back from Stanford/Duke/UCLA ect. It can be difficult to gain perspective for the mid-tier/lower-tier dwellers in this forum, so where are you awaiting decisions, where are you excited about hearing from?

I'm waiting on Brandeis, Umass, Uconn, Oregon all for IR.

Anyone else applying to these schools?

Edited by Ironheel!!

Thanks for starting the topic. I've been wondering if I was the only lurker not applying to top tier programs.

I've applied to Florida State, Florida, Georgia, and Ohio State (my one stab at something higher). I have great letters and a great SOP (so I've been told), but I went to a small regional university in the south for my undergrad and MPA so I am not too optimistic about OSU. My wife and I are content with staying in the region (we currently live in south Georgia) so our son (almost 3 years old) can be close to grandparents.

I'm really hoping to get a call/email from FSU, I'm in at Georgia (awaiting funding info), and unless Florida offers a substantial package, I'm not really considering it now that I'm in at UGA.

Of course, OSU trumps all of these and we'll gladly pack up and move if they'll have me. By the looks of it, I should know sometime this week.

As for your options, I'm envious of Oregon. I was stationed in the Pacific Northwest for 4 years and I miss it.

Thanks for starting the topic. I've been wondering if I was the only lurker not applying to top tier programs.

I've applied to Florida State, Florida, Georgia, and Ohio State (my one stab at something higher). I have great letters and a great SOP (so I've been told), but I went to a small regional university in the south for my undergrad and MPA so I am not too optimistic about OSU. My wife and I are content with staying in the region (we currently live in south Georgia) so our son (almost 3 years old) can be close to grandparents.

I'm really hoping to get a call/email from FSU, I'm in at Georgia (awaiting funding info), and unless Florida offers a substantial package, I'm not really considering it now that I'm in at UGA.

Of course, OSU trumps all of these and we'll gladly pack up and move if they'll have me. By the looks of it, I should know sometime this week.

As for your options, I'm envious of Oregon. I was stationed in the Pacific Northwest for 4 years and I miss it.

Congrats on the acceptance! Georgia is a fine program. Good luck with the rest of the applications. I have yet to hear from any programs so I'm going a bit mad at this point. Keep us posted with the other programs and funding options.

On 2/7/2012 at 10:52 AM, RngrDngr said:

South Georgia? I was born in Dublin! I'm currently studying in Columbia SC right now for my undergrad ..good luck!

I'm waiting to hear back from WashU, no idea when that will come in!

On 2/7/2012 at 11:03 AM, blackcoffee64 said:

South Georgia? I was born in Dublin! I'm currently studying in Columbia SC right now for my undergrad ..good luck!

I'm waiting to hear back from WashU, no idea when that will come in!

WashU had some results on the results page, no?

On 2/7/2012 at 11:06 AM, Ironheel!! said:

WashU had some results on the results page, no?

I think the results for WashU have been interview requests, but only a few have been sent out. As an applicant to that program myself, I am also waiting to hear anything.

On 2/7/2012 at 11:48 AM, grantman said:

I think the results for WashU have been interview requests, but only a few have been sent out. As an applicant to that program myself, I am also waiting to hear anything.

I had no idea there was an interview process..oh well, haven't heard a thing..

I had no idea there was an interview process..oh well, haven't heard a thing..

I do not think there is an interview process, from what I see it could be just the department wants to clarify a few things. I am sure you are in good shape, especially given your field work in Asia.

I also have a couple of applications in the mid-lower tier. I decided to take a more humble shot at schools since this is my second time doing it. I applied to George Mason, American, Boston University, and a few other schools from the 15-25 range.

I also have a couple of applications in the mid-lower tier. I decided to take a more humble shot at schools since this is my second time doing it. I applied to George Mason, American, Boston University, and a few other schools from the 15-25 range.

Good luck! I'm giving myself two cycles if this season does not bear the acceptance fruit I hope it does.

@Grantman: Any news from Vanderbilt? I've seen acceptances/rejects but no waitlisters. I emailed the department but no response. Waitlist???

I have not heard anything from them and I am too scared to call or email to find an official answer.

Good thread, i'm waiting to hear from UCSB, UMass, Rutgers, CUNY, and UVA. I know some results we're posted, and subsequently claimed from UCSB - but when I called the department they told me they were still reviewing until the end of the month. I'm assuming, based on the timing and the identifiable poster's high stats (3.9, 1500ish) that what was posted was a first round of university fellowship nominees.

Good luck to all.

I've already been rejected by my only Top 15 school (WashU in STL), so I guess this thread is perfect for me. I'm waiting on 8 other programs, and it's driving me crazy. Here's the list:

Emory

Minnesota

Northwestern

Cal Davis

Penn State

Florida State

Vanderbilt

George Mason

I didn't major in Poli Sci, and I went to Directional State U, so I don't feel very good about my chances anymore (especially after discovering GradCafe). I did do very well on the GRE, so I'm hoping that sways them in my direction. (740V/750Q/5.0 on the old system)

I've already been rejected by my only Top 15 school (WashU in STL), so I guess this thread is perfect for me. I'm waiting on 8 other programs, and it's driving me crazy. Here's the list:

Emory

Minnesota

Northwestern

Cal Davis

Penn State

Florida State

Vanderbilt

George Mason

I didn't major in Poli Sci, and I went to Directional State U, so I don't feel very good about my chances anymore (especially after discovering GradCafe). I did do very well on the GRE, so I'm hoping that sways them in my direction. (740V/750Q/5.0 on the old system)

Don't worry. I didn't major in political science and went to a marginal state school. It can happen!

Emory

Minnesota

Northwestern

Cal Davis

Penn State

Florida State

Vanderbilt

George Mason

I'd say your chances are good. I'm not sure that the school you attended matters that much, as long as the rest of the app is strong. And don't forget that a lot of the process is random. So far this cycle, I'm into top-15 programs and have been rejected by top-40s (sad, too, because I really liked Vandy). Just the way it happens. You have a good season ahead, I'm sure.

Emory

Minnesota

Northwestern

Cal Davis

Penn State

Florida State

Vanderbilt

George Mason

I wouldn't put too much stock in your UG school. If you did reasonably well, with high GREs you'll be competitive. The separation will be SOP and Recs. What is your area of study? Also, Grad Cafe is hardly a cross section of who is applying.

I'm glad to find this thread. I've been living in the other main thread for days now and never really ventured out to look at anything else.

The top 15 schools don't really match my interests very well, and I doubt I'd be very competitive anyway. It's refreshing to see some "normal people" on this site. You could easily be tricked into thinking that everyone else had a near-perfect GRE.

It's refreshing to see some "normal people" on this site.

I would agree with that. Thank you for creating this thread, Ironheel!!. It was a great idea.

As for me, I only applied to one top-15 program (i.e. UCSD) - and only a lark. I am very doubtful about my chances there, or at any school in the top 30.

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. About an hour after I posted, I received an acceptance e-mail from Florida State!!! I'm firmly in the American subfield, but my interests are kind of wide-ranging within the subfield. I minored in Poli Sci and majored in English (I'm a certified high school teacher in my home state of Tennessee).

I also received a rejection e-mail from Vanderbilt, so all of you guys who are on pins and needles should be relieved in the near future.

I have been wondering if GradCafe is representative of applicants across the board. I kept looking at the "will I get in?" posts thinking...man, there's no way I'm that much worse than EVERY person who is applying. lol

I was about to say I also applied to only one top-15 (Chapel Hill). I keep forgetting I also applied to Berkeley - as I mentioned in the other thread, I just thought, why not, you'll never know if you don't apply.

Anyway, of the programs where I'm actually hoping to get in, I'm so anxious about UNC that I'm feeling a little sick. I deliberately ran the range of the rankings, from big bad Berkeley to unassuming little Miami of Ohio, with most in the 20's and 30's of the USNWR rankings. I thought I could be a strong or weak candidate depending on what each adcom was looking for. Since then, though, I'm feeling more like I have a strong application overall, with my low cumulative GPA (3.17 at the time I submitted my apps) being the only real black mark on my profile. That's from failing two classes in unrelated fields three years ago when I was in a different major and at a different point in my life, and I made sure the adcoms knew that.

I got into Pitt, though, and the survey shows they rejected a couple of people with substantially higher GPAs than me, so I'm hopeful that if Pitt can see past that one black mark, then my other schools can too.

I have been wondering if GradCafe is representative of applicants across the board. I kept looking at the "will I get in?" posts thinking...man, there's no way I'm that much worse than EVERY person who is applying. lol

From looking at the data, I've seen pretty significant skew towards the top of the applicant pool, clearly because TheGradCafe involves serious self-selection bias by strong applicants. As a quick example, knowing the admissions stats for Michigan and looking at the numbers on the results forum, it included over 20% of the total number of people admitted, but less than 10% of the people rejected. I suspect that most of you in this thread are well above the curve, if not in GPA or GRE scores, then in dedication to research, understanding of what a Ph.D entails, and clear understanding of your own research interests (i.e. the stuff that really matters.) Best of luck!

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks. About an hour after I posted, I received an acceptance e-mail from Florida State!!! I'm firmly in the American subfield, but my interests are kind of wide-ranging within the subfield. I minored in Poli Sci and majored in English (I'm a certified high school teacher in my home state of Tennessee).

I also received a rejection e-mail from Vanderbilt, so all of you guys who are on pins and needles should be relieved in the near future.

Congrats on the FSU acceptance. I'm hoping I fill find the better side of their wait list when it is all sorted out. Which faculty did you list as POIs when you submitted your application? I went with Drs. Maestas, Jerit, and Ryan.

Man, I'm loving this thread. Finally something I can relate to on this forum. ;)

Already flat out rejected by Emory, likely also be rejected by PSU, Maryland and UIowa (given that some people have received admission notices from those institutions). Waiting for other, more lower-ranked schools to save me.

My stats are so so. I've been working for two years (in journalism -- not very thrilling.) and don't have an MA. I didn't get good letters either (one is from my ex boss and the other from a professor I'd never known personally before..). Guess I'll be forced to reapply later this year, most likely to MA programs.

Anyways, good luck to everyone in the same boat and congrats to the lucky ones already weighing different options.