MFA Painting 2009 has anyone heard back yet?

julieopp

I found this forum while searching the internet for possible interview questions.

I applied to Yale, Columbia, RISD, MICA, SAIC, Indiana, Tyler and UCLA.

Earlier in the year, Tyler sent an online account log in document to me and if you have access to that, your application status is there. I have also received my acceptance letter but since I live in Philadelphia, it probably got here faster. There was no interview and I never heard from them till I was accepted and was beginning to get worried as well.

MICA did not do interviews this time but the director Timothy App did call a few people for phone interviews.

Accepted: Indiana, Tyler

Interview: MICA, SAIC, RISD, Yale, Columbia

Rejected: Have not heard from UCLA and am beginning to feel that it's in this section

I have a number on interviews coming up and I am really nervous. can we get a running list on interview questions?

congrats on the interviews/acceptances. which painting program at tyler did you get into?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied to the Hoffberger school of painting and I got the call from Timothy App on the 13th of Feb (give or take a day). Tim's call came a few days before the MICA application deadline and his call was the first response i got from any of the schools i applied to. It was a surprise call though and caught me off guard (I was taking a nap when the call came and was a bit disoriented). I called the school a week after to ask what their application procedure was (I applied to Hoffberger 3yrs ago and was wait listed but I recalled going down there for an interview). Hoffberger did not do formal interviews this year but there were a few people Timothy called for interviews as he and the admissions committee were trying to make decisions.

Soneone asked what painting program I got into at Tyler and I do not know the answer to this question. Is Tyler like MICA (Hoffberger and Mount Royal) in that it has has multiple painting programs?

i guess I'll call the school today and ask about that.

Is anyone having the same problem with Tyler as I am:

They want us to return the letter accepting/rejecting their offer of admission by MARCH 20!!!

By March 20, I'll still have two interviews to go and five schools to hear from. I called and I was told (as i had suspected they would) that the safest thing to do was send in the check to reserve my spot and if I did change my mind in April, that was OK, HOWEVER, the money is not refundable.

To be safe, I'll send in the $210 check just in case the other schools don't work out but it just seems unfair to me that they are making the reply deadline so early. I got my Indiana acceptance before theirs and I do not have to give them an answer till August 20 (I'm pretty sure that all schools will have replied to all applicants by then).

I don't know, it just seems like a sneaky way to make money.

... the safest thing to do was send in the check to reserve my spot and if I did change my mind in April, that was OK, HOWEVER, the money is not refundable. ...

I don't know, it just seems like a sneaky way to make money.

Um.... yea... it does.

But what's the alternative?

Can you use a credit card instead?

That way, if you don't get your "product or service" you might be able to have the charge reversed/refunded.

So, I'm assuming if we haven't heard from Tyler it's not a good sign? (I applied for MFA Painting)

Did anyone apply to UC Santa Barbara?

UT Austin - Accepted

UNC - Accepted

SFAI - Accepted

Univ of Oregon - Accepted

UCLA - Rejection via email 3/17

UC Santa Barbara - Nothing

Tyler - nothing

VCU - nothing

So, I'm assuming if we haven't heard from Tyler it's not a good sign? (I applied for MFA Painting)

You should be able to log on to owlnet to check your Tyler status (I think you get a log-in when you make your app payment). I found out my status (rejected) online last week and got the official paper letter yesterday. So you're probably right to assume the worst, sadly.

I checked my online status at Tyler and nothing was posted. I've messed with the Owlnet thing, but I can't figure out how to log into it. I suppose I already know the answer though. :(

Thank you for the info mtung!

Did you also interviewed with them on March 17/18? They got back to you on the 19th? Wow that's fast. ...I haven't heard anything yet.... *disappointed*

-Kathy

Got into RISD and MICA (Hoffberger)- got the calls today (around noon) and last night respectively. Yipee!

Yes, I interviewed at RISD yesterday and they got back to me today. I knew it was going to be a quick turnaround because:

1) I spoke to a first year MFA student who said they got back to her a few days after her interview and that the deliberations took place right after the interviews.

2) My interview was in the afternoon but I was in the building till about 7pm (talking to students, taking a tour etc) and on my way out, I saw the faculty deliberating in the painting office on the ground floor.

Carrie Moyer told me on the phone today that they had chosen their 10 candidates. A few people may end up not going to RISD, so people on the wait-list could get bumped up.

Best of luck.

Hi Everyone,

Here are my updates:

SMFA, Boston - Interviewed, Accepted (w/10 K scholarship)

MassArt - Interviewed, waiting to hear results

Pratt - Waitlisted

Parsons - Nothing yet

UCLA - Rejected

UC Berkeley - Rejected

Hunter - Rejected

RISD - Rejected

Yale - Rejected

Columbia - Rejected

NYU - Rejected

SVA - Rejected

CCA - Rejected

CSULB - Rejected

U of WA, Seattle - Rejected

Royal Academy, London - Rejected

UPenn - Rejected

5 schools applied to for an MFA in painting. 0 acceptances.

good luck to everyone else. i wish you all the best.

Not that it is much of a consolation, but I've been there before, and honestly, I think I'm going to get far more out of grad school now than I would have had I gotten in the first round. Time out of school to focus on my work and the thinking behind it, as well as distance from the application process and an opportunity to reflect upon it has been really great for me and my work, despite a great deal of frustration and often feeling like I am drifting. If and when you decide to apply again, you'll probably look back at your application from this round and see a million things wrong with it, I know I was shaking my head at a lot of what I submitted my first time around when I looked back upon it before working on this years applications. Having a rough go around that first time has also steeled me against the blows of this whole process, which made it a lot easier to apply this year; I still got a lot of rejections, but I was prepared, and thankfully in the end it worked out. Also, don't forget there is a lot of bullshit involved in the whole process that you can do nothing about, nepotism, and all that fun stuff. It can be discouraging if you let it, but it can help you, too, if you realize that much of the time a rejection has nothing to do with the quality of your work or application, it is such a crap-shoot at times. It is totally devastating to get a full round of rejections (at least it was for me!), but just don't think of it as a nail in your coffin! Best of luck if you apply again, and in whatever endeavors come between now and then.

thanks mtung for your encouraging words. it's just hard to grasp what just happened in the last year from intensive researching, to gathering my materials...the whole application process and just the waiting.....I'm glad you heard some good news this time around. I wish you the best in your endeavors. :)

Not that it is much of a consolation, but I've been there before, and honestly, I think I'm going to get far more out of grad school now than I would have had I gotten in the first round. Time out of school to focus on my work and the thinking behind it, as well as distance from the application process and an opportunity to reflect upon it has been really great for me and my work, despite a great deal of frustration and often feeling like I am drifting. If and when you decide to apply again, you'll probably look back at your application from this round and see a million things wrong with it, I know I was shaking my head at a lot of what I submitted my first time around when I looked back upon it before working on this years applications. Having a rough go around that first time has also steeled me against the blows of this whole process, which made it a lot easier to apply this year; I still got a lot of rejections, but I was prepared, and thankfully in the end it worked out. Also, don't forget there is a lot of bullshit involved in the whole process that you can do nothing about, nepotism, and all that fun stuff. It can be discouraging if you let it, but it can help you, too, if you realize that much of the time a rejection has nothing to do with the quality of your work or application, it is such a crap-shoot at times. It is totally devastating to get a full round of rejections (at least it was for me!), but just don't think of it as a nail in your coffin! Best of luck if you apply again, and in whatever endeavors come between now and then.

Well... Here is what I have for painting.

Yale: Rejected

Northwestern: Rejected

CMU: Rejected

UCLA: Rejected

Columbia:Rejected

UIC: Rejected

SAIC: Interviewed, still waiting (don't think that is a good sigh)

VCU: Waitlist

Well... Here is what I have for painting.

Yale: Rejected

Northwestern: Rejected

CMU: Rejected

UCLA: Rejected

Columbia:Rejected

UIC: Rejected

SAIC: Interviewed, still waiting (don't think that is a good sigh)

VCU: Waitlist

Don't give up hope for SAIC yet! I also interviewed for painting and haven't heard anything, and judging from the board, no one else who interviewed for painting has, either. I was also looking at last years posted results, and it seems like they notified via post right around this time last year...Lord know what is taking them so long, though! It's been, what, 3 full weeks?