Has anyone ever had NO reply from a school?

hockeyguy109

The school I applied to starts at the end of February. I am over qualified for the school, literally. I applied thinking there is no way I wouldn't get in. Anyways, I have been keeping in contact with the school. They kept telling me, "Don't worry, we haven't forgetten about your application, we are working on it." Around early January, they replied again saying not to worry, they'll get me in. Now it's February 7th, and the start date is 3 weeks away. I think it's amazing that they haven't replied. I sent another e-mail to my minder this morning, and they still haven't replied. Even for some reason if I wasn't accepted, I'd think they'd let me know. What's with this? Anyone have a similiar story? Do applicants get "lost"?

I have back up schools, but this was my number 1 choice because of location.

That is really weird because of the start date. On occasion, if you are rejected, the program will just not even bother to contact you. That happened to my advisor. But it sounds like your case is entirely different. That's really weird. If you don't get a return email tomorrow, call.

It's weird, right? It's amazing that they could not even contact me. I paid the application fee, doesn't that at least buy me a rejection letter?

Anyways, I've e-mailed 4 people (2 in admissions and 2 professors) politely asking what happened. No reply after 2 days. I tried calling the admissions office for the past 2 days, but nobody picks up the phone. Tried calling the department, nobody picks up the phone. It's strange and too bad, I was really counting on this school.

Edited by hockeyguy109

It's still somewhat early for most of my schools, I haven't seen any results posted for several of the programs this year, but I had that problem my first round of applications two years back. I only applied to 5 schools then, but by mid-April I still hadn't heard anything from two of them, which is unusual. I had no idea what I was doing and hadn't bothered checking in at all either... In the end, I found out I had actually been waitlisted at one of the programs, then rejected, but hadn't heard ANYTHING until I called on April 15 to see what was happening myself. I still don't know what happened with the last school, I contacted them on April 15 and found out they hadn't received my application fee and never even considered me, despite the fact that my fee was paid by check and enclosed in the package with all the other documents they DID receive.

When I applied to PhD schools the first time, I did not hear back from 2 of the 5 schools I applied to. It happens. They don't care about rejections I guess. (I don't remember which schools did this though)

• 2 weeks later...

I actually don't find this strange at all anymore. I applied to two programs a year ago (Dec 2011) and on Nov 2011 got an email from 1 program at 8 pm on a Saturday with an attached letter of admission. The other emailed me on a Friday before classes started on the following Monday to offer me admission (into a program on the other side of the country!)

Both programs never send me any communications, and when asked why it took so long I found out that it almost always meant the majority of the adcom was for my application, but only one or two were against (usually higher ranking folks) and thus they kept me on file until those people were no longer on the committee! Really really strange politics....anyway it's been my luck haha