Ohio State University

"Good afternoon, Kathryn,

Thank you for your continued interest in English graduate studies at OSU.

The Admissions committee in the English department is continuing to review

applications and will have all admissions and wait list decisions made by

the end of next week.

Thank you for your patience. Please hang in there a little bit longer as

they complete the decision making process!

My best,

Kathleen Griffin

Program Coordinator"

I just wish I could decipher something from that email response.

A positive way of viewing it: there are several more acceptances to go out. Everyone who is "in review" will either be accepted or wait-listed.

A negative way of viewing it: there are no more acceptances. those of us "in review" are fighting for the wait-list spots.

I'm sure there are more rejections to go out as well. OSU seems pretty sporadic; don't drive yourself crazy trying to predict what they're doing. :)

Thanks for inquiring. Does anyone have thoughts as to whether they've even actually looked at all the apps? I mean, I wonder if the reason I'm still "in review" and not rejected is because they haven't read it yet.

Thanks for that.

My pessimistic take: As someone at the end of the alphabet, my application has yet to even be reviewed and will be promptly rejected as soon as it has been.

Or maybe they've only looked at certain subfields? I'm at the beginning of the alphabet haha.

I've given up on trying to make heads or tails out of this. During the past week, I have been obsessively scouring through results from prior years, but there doesn't really seem to be a discernable parallel I can draw. The biggest positive is that, compared to past cycles, it definitely seems as though there have been less acceptances handed out at this point in the year.

I've given up on trying to make heads or tails out of this. During the past week, I have been obsessively scouring through results from prior years, but there doesn't really seem to be a discernable parallel I can draw. The biggest positive is that, compared to past cycles, it definitely seems as though there have been less acceptances handed out at this point in the year.

You're right. My neuroticism is mostly pointless when it comes to this stuff.

I think that, because many schools report over a small time frame, that creates an expectation that most schools will or do. But many, many don't. If you searched around in the results board in a systematic, I think you'd find that it's not all that rare for a department to notify some people in late February and some in late April. It's the programs that have the power, so they proceed in a way that suits their ends, rather than in a way that is easiest on us. Sorry to say.

You're right. My neuroticism is mostly pointless when it comes to this stuff.

Transcendental, would Ohio State be a more appealing choice for you than Fordham? I also see you have Illinois and Indiana on your list. Those are my last two possibilities other than OSU. Really nervous about those.

Transcendental, would Ohio State be a more appealing choice for you than Fordham? I also see you have Illinois and Indiana on your list. Those are my last two possibilities other than OSU. Really nervous about those.

I honestly don't know at this point. I'm baffled that I got into Fordham. I guess I'd just to like to have things wrapped up at this point so I can decide, if there is a decision/choice to make. I'm not sure what to think about Indiana and Illinois. Looks like they've sent out some acceptances but may not be done.

I honestly don't know at this point. I'm baffled that I got into Fordham. I guess I'd just to like to have things wrapped up at this point so I can decide, if there is a decision/choice to make. I'm not sure what to think about Indiana and Illinois. Looks like they've sent out some acceptances but may not be done.

Let me correct me saying "not sure what to think." I don't think I'll get in there, but I'd like to know if they're done with decisions if they've made acceptances, that is!

• 1 month later...